Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you’re intent on possibly bidding on it… go to the staging lane… it’s the area they prep and start the vehicles. I actually talked to the driver of the Lamborghini I was interested in and asked him to lightly rev the engine, that way I could determine if there was anything obviously wrong with car.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh and on another lambo, I got to meet the seller the day before the auction. He let me sit in the vehicle and start it up. If sellers are present, they’ll do anything to get your concerns resolved, unless there’s something to hide

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just want to help someone not getting caught up in the excitement and making a decision that they regret later.....like the article states...it is like a Las Vegas atmosphere, if you are caught up in the bidding and your are not experienced, then it is like knocking up some girl for casual sex.....could be 18 seconds of pure extasy and then 18 years of pure hell. It takes a lot of commitment to buy a supercar, both emotionally and financially; most do not realize this, and they are only it for the show and stroking their ego.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I sure got excited when I got to sit in this glorious Diablo roadster at that auction!!! Practically lost my mind… fyi, royscats took her home 😀 another thing, I had a checklist that was 2 pages long, so that way, I didn’t stray off my objectives nor my bid strategy

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you don't want to do any research, then all you need to know who the professionals are. Bid on the item they bid on. I have seen this approach at court yard steps, lien auctions and non-car auctions. To counter the fhis type of behavior, professionals may have a representative or do phone bidding. Though I have never met Roy, based on his actions I have great respect for him.Maybe I should have bought the Verde Itaca LP640 he had sitting on his lot for about a year. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
While it may not be the case with this vehicle, Auction Exotics can be the "town bicycles". They get passed around by Mom and Pop used car dealers; each joy riding and deferring maintenance. The paper trail of wholesale to wholesale may not be evident until you get the title. They you find it's been reassigned a half dozen times. I'd stay away from auction exotics in general. You'll see it pop up on a CarFax occasionally. Service records tend to disappear rather quickly. FWIW: I bought a (non-auction) Ferrari from Roy Cats so I'd generally trust him as he is a major Lambo reseller but not some small town, corner lot dealer who's inventory is usually high mileage beaters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
While it may not be the case with this vehicle, Auction Exotics can be the "town bicycles". They get passed around by Mom and Pop used car dealers; each joy riding and deferring maintenance. The paper trail of wholesale to wholesale may not be evident until you get the title. They you find it's been reassigned a half dozen times. I'd stay away from auction exotics in general. You'll see it pop up on a CarFax occasionally. Service records tend to disappear rather quickly. FWIW: I bought a (non-auction) Ferrari from Roy Cats so I'd generally trust him as he is a major Lambo reseller but not some small town, corner lot dealer who's inventory is usually high mileage beaters.
What you bough a Ferrari and not a Lamborghini from Roy?! I hear you and you have made very good points. If I do buy a Murci from an auction, I'll do a full write up and share my experience with this community.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,553 Posts
Takes courage to buy at an auction. Heck, I can't get brand new Lamborghinis' to work problem free without intervention from the dealership, and the idea of buying preowned at an auction is well, let's just say, outside my comfort zone. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It’s all about due diligence. Research and hunting down the seller prior to auction. Also, as the saying goes ‘buyer beware’ and ‘sold as is’ apply. Be prepared to put some serious money into a vehicle if you do get a ‘steal’ or a good price.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Auctions are Dangerous. Most are bought on impulse...then you get a Lemon. There is a reason MOST cars go to auction.

HOWEVER once in a while a GEM shines through

I was able to retrieve ALL the records for the Diablo Roadtser I bought, AS WELL as speak to the last 3 owners. All positive.
Once you trace down the previous owners, know where the car lived, its pretty easy to get the records from the local Dealer as they will help out Dealers.
They are reluctant to share info with a private party.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Let me give you my 2 cents worth. I have bought several million dollars worth of equipment and vehicles at auction. I also use the auction to get rid of my problem equipment and vehicles. Fees are high and it often takes time to get paid. As hot as lambos are, why is the seller not selling it outright? The secret to getting great deals on lambos is patience, time and research. My murcie had 4500 original miles and was almost showroom new condition. The seller had 30 supercars and just needed more room in his garage for new toys. He only posted 3 pics. I checked out him and the car and it was flawless. Auctions are a high energy environment. There are often shill bidders running up the price. All auctioneers will deny it but it is a very common practice. When we buy at auction, our choices are well researched and tested AND we buy way below market. If you do want to buy that way, make certain there are no hidden defects and buy cheap. Otherwise, the risk does not offset the reward. Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Auctions are Dangerous. Most are bought on impulse...then you get a Lemon. There is a reason MOST cars go to auction.

HOWEVER once in a while a GEM shines through

I was able to retrieve ALL the records for the Diablo Roadtser I bought, AS WELL as speak to the last 3 owners. All positive.
Once you trace down the previous owners, know where the car lived, its pretty easy to get the records from the local Dealer as they will help out Dealers.
They are reluctant to share info with a private party.

Roy, your insights much appreciated. Just out of curiosity what percent of the cars you sell are from auctions?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,487 Posts
FYI, I got royally screwed at my last and only auction I ever attended (Barret Jackson Scottsdale Spring 2021). Will never attend one of their auctions.
Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Had to place an absentee bid of $210k on a vehicle, as I had a last second flight to Vegas I had to catch. Vehicle sold for $171k($188k all in). They said my $210k wasn’t enough.
Yes, you read that correctly. I blew a gasket when I found that out. Paid $450 bidders fee, plus 2 nights hotel, airfare and Ubers…. All to be told my $210k wasn’t enough to win a vehicle that sold for $188k.

they denied it at first. Then they apologized. Then I bitched them out, until they finally refunded my $450 bidders fee. Still got screwed out of $2k for travel expenses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
efg2014-can I ask....what are you driving now? Have you had any exotic cars in the currently or in the past? This will answer a lot of questions in my mind......Thanks
Sure,
Ferrari F430, Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo, Mercedese190SL roadster and offcourse the daily driver a Hyundia Sonata. I have a 4-cylinder, 6-clyinder, 8-cylinder and want to own a 12-cylinder. Now if I had more space I would love to pick up an early Dodge Viper RT-10, which I consider one of the rawest sports cars built by an American car company. Hmm, maybe I can get rid of a useless bedroom and add more garage space....:D

--thanks

ps. Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anything you buy from an auction, give yourself 10-20% cushing for the unknown/hidden issues. That way if there’s no issues, you get a good deal - if there are, at least you’re in for market value/didn’t over spent.
Not saying that auction houses try to hide information, it’s just that you may not be aware of them unless you do your own due dilligence prior to bidding; and in some cases you may not find out until you take possession.

On a side note-As for rt10s, I have one and they’re fun and maintenace free for most part, but getting parts is getting to be an issue. There’s only a few big/main vendors that carry the majority of viper parts and they know it, so be prepared to lube up your wallet if/when parts are needed.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts