Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it is as much how you feel about yourself as the car makes you appear. I think owning a Lambo is a way to outwardly show that you are successful. I don't like to talk about money to friends nor wear flashy clothes or jewelry. Only my best friend knows my true income. I have helped him greatly increase his income and net worth by just setting goals and thinking bigger so when alone we share secrets. I always downplay the lambo with everyone else. Keeps the vultures at bay. Lee
This.
The first thing people ask me is "how much did you PAY for that!?" I downplay the elusiveness and associated wealth assumption with the "man, I wish I could have flat out paid for it, but financing definitely helps!" It's crazy, everyone knows the whole world primarily finances vehicles, but when it comes to these cars the general public has this idea that the bulk of us just wrote a check (let alone a wire) for $250k, $450k, etc. I tell everyone I finance my perf even though I bought it outright lol.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like that Jersey. Just say "what the foc I got this car cheap and pay 199 per month."

I like to pay cash for toys also.Lee

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to pay cash for toys, but now I finance them since they money is so cheap. I can make more in even my safest investments than I'm paying in interest. I do, however, make sure I pay a decent down payment, so I'm never upside down, and I have the cash to pay for it outright (otherwise, you can't really afford it).

There are only a handful of work colleagues that know about my Lambo. Most know about my Maserati and that's enough to "boost" my business reputation/coolness factor. I found the Maserati definitely had a positive impact business wise. It's exotic enough that most people ooh'd and ahh'd, but not so in your face as the Lambo or Ferarri. They seemed to respect it and not think I was making too much off of them; they were happy I was doing well and wanted to be part of that winning formula.

I'll let you know if the opposite happens if they find out about the more exotic cars.

tl;dr: Buy for personal reasons, do not buy for potential business benefits.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a work level, I've always kept it private and never share it with clients or colleagues. Some folks love them and will be happy for you. But most people get jealous and will hate you for it, potentially jeopardizing your business, sales or career.

* Personal = do it.
* Work = not do it.
This, always try to keep work/personal life separate

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Money is really cheap but you are also assuming your investments will never take a big hit. Those of us that have lived through a couple of crashes may see things differently. Look at the recent 10% drop in the stock market. Depending on where your investments are, you could have taken a big hit. I mainly invest in land and buildings. Usually very long term stable and great returns just not very liquid. Lee

·
Registered
323 Posts
Money is really cheap but you are also assuming your investments will never take a big hit. Those of us that have lived through a couple of crashes may see things differently. Look at the recent 10% drop in the stock market. Depending on where your investments are, you could have taken a big hit. I mainly invest in land and buildings. Usually very long term stable and great returns just not very liquid. Lee
This is very true indeed. If it starts to bother your sleep & work, and you can afford it, just get it with cash or finance.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think it is a personal choice . I think it can definitely affect your work. I try and really downplay the Lambo to my employees. I tell them I bought it cheap and restored it. That it is just a project car etc. I never drive it to work or to the projects where they are working. Otherwise everyone would be asking for raises. Some know I have it but only because they saw it in my Garage. Making a lot of money is great. I think it is much cooler not to show it. I will bet more guys in shorts and flip flops pay cash for Lambos than guys all dressed out. A perfect example of that happened today. I went to look at a 400 acre tract for development. I drove my old but immaculate H2. I was wearing shorts and a t shirt. He was a snooty big talking Realtor. I said lets take my Hummer to drive the property. (There is nothing better off road) He said lets ride in Luxury and take his Land Rover. I said the Hummer will go places that will not. He of course argued with me about that. I listened to 2 hrs of his condescension. We left and said thank you. Later that day he called my realtor after finding out who I was and changed his tone completely. I almost did not make an offer on the property due to his BS attitude. I think it is always better for people not to know who or what you are. They are forced to show their true colors. If I had pulled up in the Lambo he would have probably acted completely different. As it is I know what kind of person I am really dealing with. Real, honest people with integrity will treat you the same knowing you make seven figures or are just an average guy. Those are the ones you want to do business with.PS There was a great movie several years ago where a very wealthy old man pretended to lose everything. All his family members except his grandson abandoned him. He pretended to have to liquidate the mansion and they carted everything off. He was left penniless. His grandson was the only one that took him in and let him live with him. After a few months he changed his will, and announced to the grandson that he was still a multimillionaire. They both lived together after that and the grandson was set to inherit everything. Valuable lessons are to be learned there. Lee

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
I think it is a personal choice . I think it can definitely affect your work. I try and really downplay the Lambo to my employees. I tell them I bought it cheap and restored it. That it is just a project car etc. I never drive it to work or to the projects where they are working. Otherwise everyone would be asking for raises. Some know I have it but only because they saw it in my Garage. Making a lot of money is great. I think it is much cooler not to show it. I will bet more guys in shorts and flip flops pay cash for Lambos than guys all dressed out. A perfect example of that happened today. I went to look at a 400 acre tract for development. I drove my old but immaculate H2. I was wearing shorts and a t shirt. He was a snooty big talking Realtor. I said lets take my Hummer to drive the property. (There is nothing better off road) He said lets ride in Luxury and take his Land Rover. I said the Hummer will go places that will not. He of course argued with me about that. I listened to 2 hrs of his condescension. We left and said thank you. Later that day he called my realtor after finding out who I was and changed his tone completely. I almost did not make an offer on the property due to his BS attitude. I think it is always better for people not to know who or what you are. They are forced to show their true colors. If I had pulled up in the Lambo he would have probably acted completely different. As it is I know what kind of person I am really dealing with. Real, honest people with integrity will treat you the same knowing you make seven figures or are just an average guy. Those are the ones you want to do business with.PS There was a great movie several years ago where a very wealthy old man pretended to lose everything. All his family members except his grandson abandoned him. He pretended to have to liquidate the mansion and they carted everything off. He was left penniless. His grandson was the only one that took him in and let him live with him. After a few months he changed his will, and announced to the grandson that he was still a multimillionaire. They both lived together after that and the grandson was set to inherit everything. Valuable lessons are to be learned there. Lee
Well said Lee.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitely. I took a major bath in '08-09, so I'm very aware it can all come crashing down very quickly!

·
Registered
323 Posts
This sounds like my family except they abandoned me while I was poor & needed help, and came back later asking for money and favors when they learned that I have a lot of money. They think being blood related is an entitlement while they did absolutely nothing to aid my success. Be careful of those.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I totally understand Sakura. Why is it they are nowhere to be found when you need help or think you owe them something because you have been successful. I rarely talk to my Sister anymore. Her husband was actually ripping me off while she covered for him. On the other hand, my brother in law has been a loyal friend and business associate for 25 years. He has had a dream of owning a house in the country for many years but never able to make the dream come true. I surprised him for his birthday last month by giving him a 2 acre tract by me to build his house on. He has also always wanted a 55 chevy. I think I may get him one for Christmas.(Older in need of restoration) I just want to see his reaction to that car with a bow on it. LOL I believe you reap what you sow in this world. The more you give the more you get. You guys should try it. Try doing something amazing for someone this Christmas season and watch the rewards pour in. Hey Kubadat, I think I was bleeding right along with you in 2008.I don't forget either. Although I can easily buy another car and want one, I still remember. Lee

·
Vendor
325 Posts
From a networking perspective, owning an exotic car like a Lamborghini definitely breaks down some barriers. Its not to say that you can't get past these barriers without owning a Lamborghini (or other exotic), but it helps to establish a connection point. Bringing a Lamborghini to a Cars & Coffee, parking it next to the other Lamborghinis, going on cruises, and group drives/ dinners takes things to another level IMO. Not sure how it would benefit you specifically in your industry, but as someone who is in the automotive industry first-hand, its definitely beneficial.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll be unloading multiple properties over the next 12 months, we're long overdue for the impending crash. It's literally inevitable at this point, I'm looking forward to cheap toys & cheap properties.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have to agree that a downturn always follows a long period of prosperity. It is as certain as day and night. I am being more conservative in my land purchases but Texas economic numbers are off the charts. The good thing here is that it usually slows down later and recovers earlier. Our land prices do not spike near as much as other areas but also fall much less also. I just walked away from a deal that would have made a ton of profit but would have taken 3 years. That is a lifetime in the development world. It could easily downturn in 1 to 2 years and leave me with millions in debt and few sales. I remember that from 2008 all too clearly. Most of my projects are 12 to 16 months in and out. It is better to have 3 medium size deals than one large one. They are staggered so the risk is spread out and not near as much. If things start to go south, you can sell one out , finish and liquidate the second one and still make a decent buck. The third one you just stop working on and hold as raw land. That rarely loses much value here. Look at gold prices. They are in the 1500 range. We have not seen that in a long time. THAT makes me nervous. Lee

21 - 35 of 35 Posts