Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I honestly debated for a few days if I should post this or not because I didn’t want it to come across as bashing the Dealership selling this Gallardo Vs saving a potential buyer a nightmare experience after getting it. I know I would have greatly appreciated seeing something like this before I almost bought it myself so decided to share some critical details of my experience with this Gallardo because I'm sure it is getting a lot of attention due to the spec and mileage. I would hate to see the new owner being a member here (or anyone for that matter) that wasn't lucky enough to notice or find these details until it was too late.

I’ve been looking for an 08 Spyder for some time now, when this one popped up on my AutoTrader alerts I was beyond excited as it matched 90% of what I wanted and was even less than 2 hours away. After a few phone calls and text messages, I made an offer and was ready to drive over to get it that day! As I was making arrangements for it I got an alert it was listed on CarGurus as well. I'm glad I took the time to look at it while I was on hold, I was literally in the middle of making arrangements to move the funds to purchase this one! You may or may not know that CarGurus does not use CarFax for its listings, it uses AutoCheck as its primary reporting bureau. The Dealership pushed that this Gallardo was perfect inside and out, no accidents, flawless paint, all original, said it been in storage for 3 years, hardly used, was one the owners (of the Dealership) personal cars...said all the things you would hope for and gave me the CarFax when I asked. Unfortunately (but fortunately), the excitement of this Gallardo being the one quickly ended as the next two hours of phone call after phone calls just kept revealing more bad news each time.

When looking at the CarGurus ad I noticed at the bottom of it that they flagged the VIN for an accident(s) history. I asked the Sales Manager I was working with about it and he seemed a little annoyed that I was questioning it after getting the CarFax and said something along the lines that it was most likely an error, things like that can happen, everyone goes by CarFax reports and not other “smaller ones”, that the car is showroom condition, etc. I looked through the CarFax again closer and I guess with being caught up in the initial excitement of finding the one so close to me I didn’t notice there was not a single service record on the report. I reached back out to him back and started to go through the normal questions of service history, snap test/report, etc. Was a bit surprised that he has nothing for it! He finally came around and said that the owner hardly uses it, it sits in the storage area with other cars of his and has only put around 1k miles on it the 3 years its been there. Ends up it hasn’t been serviced in the 3 years of it being there, not even a record or knowledge of an oil change! You guys know well that with it being 13 years old let alone stored for 3 years it should have at least had oil changes, brake fluid, differential flush, and an egear service/check, etc. done to it, another series of red flags. I asked about the accident history again, kept saying that the CarFax is clean, that's what everyone goes by, but if I wanted to still move forward on the car to make another offer we’ll see what we can do to wrap it up. I asked him for the full AutoCheck report, he said they don’t have one and don’t use that service since everyone goes by CarFax. I pointed out that the CarFax recorded that they bought it from the PA Manheim auction and asked if they had a paint reader/meter, I said anyone that buys from auctions usually takes the 1 minute of walking around the car to get a quick read on the panels while they are in the lanes or on the preview, that this is a very common practice, and asked if we could do a FaceTime call so he could just do a walk around with me and this would instantly confirm if there is paint/bodywork anywhere on the car for the validity of the accident ding on the VIN, that we could move from the topic if nothing reads thick, and wrap up the deal. He said they don’t do that for their cars and they don’t have one...come on, what dealership does not have a paint meter on hand or says they don't check their cars for this....so I just told him I need to research this more on my own since he doesn't have the key details and would let him know if I still want to move forward afterward.

I'm just going to summarize the remaining details as it would be too much type out explaining how many calls and how much time went into this one. After I got back to him advising what I was able to find out and I would be passing on the Gallardo, they did a few questionable actions with their listings/ads as well.

- On 1/19/2015 in Hempstead, NY the Gallardo was indeed involved in a multi-vehicle accident with multiple impacts to it. A police report is on file detailing the accident, however, the police dept there was not able to provide a full copy of it as its already been archived due to timeframe. But was able to get enough basics from it though to paint a very clear picture that this Gallardo is not a $110k example that he was asking for. There were multiple cars involved in this accident and the Gallardo was hit by more than one of them. The damage was body and mechanical, it had to be towed away from the scene, could not operate on its own. The weather that day was approx 40* with a mix of rain and snow, 1+ inches of snow on the ground.

- After sharing these details and advising him I was going to pass on it, his only reply was “ok” and our communication stopped. No more calls or texts, it ended with his "ok". Since that conversation, some of the ads for it have been deleted and/or replaced with new ones. The price is now $10k less than the original ones were, has new details/descriptions, but nothing for/about the accident as a new known detail, and still listing it as a clean worry-free CarFax.

Even though there were some pretty questionable responses or details from the Dealership this post is not to trash them specifically, but rather inform you as a potential buyer of this Gallardo and ensure you are well aware of its history and the several red flags through my experience and time with it so you don’t have to. I can't say for sure if the seller did or did not know about the accident history but at the end of the day, it's now known for anyone else taking the time to search out this VIN. I hope this post pops up and helps out a lot. The bottom line facts on this one are that it has not been serviced properly (at all!) in the last 3 years and has been in a pretty major Winter accident that involved multiple vehicles, received multiple impacts, could not be operated, and was flat bedded away. This Gallardo is far from a $110k example!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice report and thanks for sharing. I did the same very recently and 1/2 the users here were supportive and the other 1/2 weren't. So I hope you get lots of support since this type of info is very useful.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description of your action and findings. Never hesitate to identify questionable events in the history of a particular car or questionable behavior by a seller. Communication is the basis for participation in these types of forums.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice report and thanks for sharing. I did the same very recently and 1/2 the users here were supportive and the other 1/2 weren't. So I hope you get lots of support since this type of info is very useful.
Thanks! Well it looks like someone didn't like this very much. I put a post in the Classifieds section about this and it's already been deleted!?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I deleted it. You don’t need the same post in multiple sections.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh wow! My company is a 3 minute drive from from Legacy. I am going to have to stop in and check this car out. Ha. This is not too surprising I guess as Legacy is not a place I would expect to have a Gallardo. I'll report back what I find.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Time for CarFax and the BBB to be notified at a minimum; maybe their DMV as well. . Leaving this info on various online review platforms wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the whole point of his post was that the Carfax doesn’t have it but the auto check did. I don’t think they edited the Carfax.
Ah, yes, I missed that. I removed my note on that.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Quote,
"* I know this vehicle has had an accident. Why isn’t it listed on the CARFAX Report?
CARFAX compiles the CARFAX Vehicle History Report from information it receives from thousands of sources. As extensive as our database is, we do not have all accidents"

·
Registered
761 Posts
KevinJS, thanks for posting this. I too have an 08 and regularly check ads to see what's out there and have come across this one. I thought the 110k asking was "fair" considering the mileage and the fact that it was the last year for the preLP which had a lot of stuff sorted out.

However, with any accident on record, I doubt it's even worth 98.5k even with that mileage. Also, just remember that we're noticing that it's cars with fewer miles per year that tend to have the most quirks when they start to get driven. I'd actually shy away from this one for that reason, unless I never planned to drive it. 2k/year is usually the norm for a well sorted G.

Also, when taking paint meter readings, note that it can read up to 5-9 and be normal because of how Lamb painted these (batches, separately, then married to the car afterwards).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow! My company is a 3 minute drive from from Legacy. I am going to have to stop in and check this car out. Ha. This is not too surprising I guess as Legacy is not a place I would expect to have a Gallardo. I'll report back what I find.
That would be great, yes please do!! Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time for CarFax and the BBB to be notified at a minimum; maybe their DMV as well. . Leaving this info on various online review platforms wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

I reported it to CarFax, added it to VIN WiKi, and the biggest Gallardo FB group. Hopefully, if a potential buyer Googles the VIN they will land on one of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I did report it to carfax the same day. I actually received a reply from CarFax this morning about all of the missing details from their report. I submitted/provided them the other report, date, location, police report, etc. Wow, what a waste of time and energy it was to even think they would care about updating their report/database so it reflects the critical details that are missing and be an accurate report. This is the blow-off reply I received.

“Hello, This is why we always recommend that the CARFAX Report is used as one important tool, along with a pre-purchase vehicle inspection and thorough test drive.
Thank you for the information and feedback. CarFax Consumer Affairs”

What the what.....aka, thanks for wasting your time, we don't care. A huge (n) for CarFax on this one!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I did report it to carfax the same day. I actually received a reply from CarFax this morning about all of the missing details from their report. I submitted/provided them the other report, date, location, police report, etc. Wow, what a waste of time and energy it was to even think they would care about updating their report/database so it reflects the critical details that are missing and be an accurate report. This is the blow-off reply I received.

“Hello, This is why we always recommend that the CARFAX Report is used as one important tool, along with a pre-purchase vehicle inspection and thorough test drive.
Thank you for the information and feedback. CarFax Consumer Affairs”

What the what.....aka, thanks for wasting your time, we don't care. A huge (n) for CarFax on this one!!
Unbelievable. I always wondered the accuracy of their reports etc. I’m glad you at least took the time to report it to them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm not surprised. I actually don't really like Carfax or any of those reporting tools, though I still use them. On one of my cars, they claim it had been in an accident... in OHIO! I live in SoCal... that car has never been in Ohio (this was through an Autocheck report, CARFAX comes up clean).

I called Autocheck and they said it happens, probably some numbers transposed, but it would be on me to pull the police report to prove it was a different car. I told them, get it off the report, it has never been in OHIO (and for that matter, neither have I). Crickets.. nothing but crickets.

When I get anything serviced, I tell the shop if they report this usually, don't. I don't want to feed the beast. Future owners will just get a maint history binder from me anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I honestly debated for a few days if I should post this or not because I didn’t want it to come across as bashing the Dealership selling this Gallardo Vs saving a potential buyer a nightmare experience after getting it. I know I would have greatly appreciated seeing something like this before I almost bought it myself so decided to share some critical details of my experience with this Gallardo because I'm sure it is getting a lot of attention due to the spec and mileage. I would hate to see the new owner being a member here (or anyone for that matter) that wasn't lucky enough to notice or find these details until it was too late.

I’ve been looking for an 08 Spyder for some time now, when this one popped up on my AutoTrader alerts I was beyond excited as it matched 90% of what I wanted and was even less than 2 hours away. After a few phone calls and text messages, I made an offer and was ready to drive over to get it that day! As I was making arrangements for it I got an alert it was listed on CarGurus as well. I'm glad I took the time to look at it while I was on hold, I was literally in the middle of making arrangements to move the funds to purchase this one! You may or may not know that CarGurus does not use CarFax for its listings, it uses AutoCheck as its primary reporting bureau. The Dealership pushed that this Gallardo was perfect inside and out, no accidents, flawless paint, all original, said it been in storage for 3 years, hardly used, was one the owners (of the Dealership) personal cars...said all the things you would hope for and gave me the CarFax when I asked. Unfortunately (but fortunately), the excitement of this Gallardo being the one quickly ended as the next two hours of phone call after phone calls just kept revealing more bad news each time.

When looking at the CarGurus ad I noticed at the bottom of it that they flagged the VIN for an accident(s) history. I asked the Sales Manager I was working with about it and he seemed a little annoyed that I was questioning it after getting the CarFax and said something along the lines that it was most likely an error, things like that can happen, everyone goes by CarFax reports and not other “smaller ones”, that the car is showroom condition, etc. I looked through the CarFax again closer and I guess with being caught up in the initial excitement of finding the one so close to me I didn’t notice there was not a single service record on the report. I reached back out to him back and started to go through the normal questions of service history, snap test/report, etc. Was a bit surprised that he has nothing for it! He finally came around and said that the owner hardly uses it, it sits in the storage area with other cars of his and has only put around 1k miles on it the 3 years its been there. Ends up it hasn’t been serviced in the 3 years of it being there, not even a record or knowledge of an oil change! You guys know well that with it being 13 years old let alone stored for 3 years it should have at least had oil changes, brake fluid, differential flush, and an egear service/check, etc. done to it, another series of red flags. I asked about the accident history again, kept saying that the CarFax is clean, that's what everyone goes by, but if I wanted to still move forward on the car to make another offer we’ll see what we can do to wrap it up. I asked him for the full AutoCheck report, he said they don’t have one and don’t use that service since everyone goes by CarFax. I pointed out that the CarFax recorded that they bought it from the PA Manheim auction and asked if they had a paint reader/meter, I said anyone that buys from auctions usually takes the 1 minute of walking around the car to get a quick read on the panels while they are in the lanes or on the preview, that this is a very common practice, and asked if we could do a FaceTime call so he could just do a walk around with me and this would instantly confirm if there is paint/bodywork anywhere on the car for the validity of the accident ding on the VIN, that we could move from the topic if nothing reads thick, and wrap up the deal. He said they don’t do that for their cars and they don’t have one...come on, what dealership does not have a paint meter on hand or says they don't check their cars for this....so I just told him I need to research this more on my own since he doesn't have the key details and would let him know if I still want to move forward afterward.

I'm just going to summarize the remaining details as it would be too much type out explaining how many calls and how much time went into this one. After I got back to him advising what I was able to find out and I would be passing on the Gallardo, they did a few questionable actions with their listings/ads as well.

- On 1/19/2015 in Hempstead, NY the Gallardo was indeed involved in a multi-vehicle accident with multiple impacts to it. A police report is on file detailing the accident, however, the police dept there was not able to provide a full copy of it as its already been archived due to timeframe. But was able to get enough basics from it though to paint a very clear picture that this Gallardo is not a $110k example that he was asking for. There were multiple cars involved in this accident and the Gallardo was hit by more than one of them. The damage was body and mechanical, it had to be towed away from the scene, could not operate on its own. The weather that day was approx 40* with a mix of rain and snow, 1+ inches of snow on the ground.

- After sharing these details and advising him I was going to pass on it, his only reply was “ok” and our communication stopped. No more calls or texts, it ended with his "ok". Since that conversation, some of the ads for it have been deleted and/or replaced with new ones. The price is now $10k less than the original ones were, has new details/descriptions, but nothing for/about the accident as a new known detail, and still listing it as a clean worry-free CarFax.

Even though there were some pretty questionable responses or details from the Dealership this post is not to trash them specifically, but rather inform you as a potential buyer of this Gallardo and ensure you are well aware of its history and the several red flags through my experience and time with it so you don’t have to. I can't say for sure if the seller did or did not know about the accident history but at the end of the day, it's now known for anyone else taking the time to search out this VIN. I hope this post pops up and helps out a lot. The bottom line facts on this one are that it has not been serviced properly (at all!) in the last 3 years and has been in a pretty major Winter accident that involved multiple vehicles, received multiple impacts, could not be operated, and was flat bedded away. This Gallardo is far from a $110k example!
When ever you a re buying a used car , spend the $99 for a 30 days pass on autocheck or carfax, it is 30 days of all the report you want . i have seen dealers cut and paste report they send so run it yourself. Don't blame anyone if you are spending 50 or 100K and cheap on $99. # year service is not that much money, oil and filter, air filter, brake and egear fluid all told is less than $1000 and pretty much any mechanic other than walmart or pep boys can do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I stopped in to Legacy and checked this car out today. Overall, it doesn't seem that bad on the surface. Lighting wasn't great inside, but didn't notice any obvious paint mismatch and panel gaps actually looked pretty good. It has newer tires too.

If anyone is serious about it, shoot me a PM and I will give you my full take on it privately.

Obviously, a PPI would go a long ways to in helping you discover more about it. If you need a reputable shop locally here for a PPI, call North Coast Exotics and ask for Earl.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts