Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to see what other people thought of this situation.

As we know Huracan prices and availability is pretty nuts at the moment and it hurts paying $250k for ones that were going for $200k (Canadian) a year and a half ago.

My question is, if you had the choice, would you buy a second Gen R8 spyder now since the premium isn't too crazy compared to a year ago (could still get one under $200k CAD after taxes)

Or would you wait approx a year to buy a 2015/2016 Huracan at close to $200-$215k before taxes (total guess, who knows where market might be)

Reason Im asking is because im fortunate enough to pull the trigger on an R8 now and I've never had a convertible before. But buying the Huracan for $240k today will be close to $300k after taxes. This would affect my short term goals (re-financing my home, trying to buy other investments etc but with the R8 I won't be too worried due to the $100k price difference).

Was thinking I could go for the R8 now and who knows in a couple years I could swing an Aventador. But then another side tells me tomorrow is never promised so might as well go all out now and go with the Huracan.

Anyone been in this situation before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You only know...your pocket.
Especially with those taxes they imposed just not right.
the taxes are a dream killer. If I was one province over it’d only be 5%.

need to think double hard before pulling the trigger since I can’t really expect to turn around and sell in a year or two without already losing 25% + any depreciation which can add up to $100k in a year if prices slide even a little bit

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,576 Posts
the taxes are a dream killer. If I was one province over it’d only be 5%.

need to think double hard before pulling the trigger since I can’t really expect to turn around and sell in a year or two without already losing 25% + any depreciation which can add up to $100k in a year if prices slide even a little bit
That is horrible, I do feel for you guys. Doesn't seem very fair.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What other investments are you thinking of buying? You need to layout exactly what you will do if you decide to not spend the money in order to compare.

·
Registered
SL #7007
428 Posts
Don’t buy an R8 if your end goal is an Lambo…. Trust me……. If you truly want an R8 over an Lambo then grab one but if you really want a Lambo, you’re going to lose money. You will buy the R8 then ditch it for a Lambo later and you will not get your money back…. I learned that way…

·
Premium Member
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
588 Posts
I would agree if you have the ability to get the lambo I would go that route even if it requires a little bit of a stretch on your part you will appreciate it more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don’t buy an R8 if your end goal is an Lambo…. Trust me……. If you truly want an R8 over an Lambo then grab one but if you really want a Lambo, you’re going to lose money. You will buy the R8 then ditch it for a Lambo later and you will not get your money back…. I learned that way…
I do want the Lambo , but I am also thinking about the other positives of the R8: won’t be as worried About putting on miles, could get a spyder version, won’t have a heart attack when the engine light comes on

it’s a tough decision for sure

·
Registered
SL #7007
428 Posts
I do want the Lambo , but I am also thinking about the other positives of the R8: won’t be as worried About putting on miles, could get a spyder version, won’t have a heart attack when the engine light comes on

it’s a tough decision for sure
That’s true but even though it won’t have the, “Lambo tax,“ it will still be a pretty penny to fix depending on what the issues are (Unless you’re buying a car that is still under warranty). My R8 had a transmission solenoid go bad and it was $12k to fix. Good thing it was under warranty…. Im not trying to be a Debbie downer on you. I thought the same as you and did what you’re planning. I just don’t want you to lose $30k like I did…..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s true but even though it won’t have the, “Lambo tax,“ it will still be a pretty penny to fix depending on what the issues are (Unless you’re buying a car that is still under warranty). My R8 had a transmission solenoid go bad and it was $12k to fix. Good thing it was under warranty…. Im not trying to be a Debbie downer on you. I thought the same as you and did what you’re planning. I just don’t want you to lose $30k like I did…..
yeah you’re right. Local dealer said Huracan service is around $2.5k and $1k for an oil change. My Porsche was about $800- $2000 for a service so it’s pretty similar and I’m sure the R8 is around the same. Guess I’m just contemplating if the extra amount is worth it for the “Lambo experience”. Only one way to really find out…

Because of the huge tax rate, I’m thinking of setting prices for both cars ($165k for an R8 spyder or $210k for a Huracan) and whichever I can get first I’ll go with that. Not sure if that’s a good way to go about it

·
Registered
331 Posts
I do not expect Canadian prices to drop anytime soon, one of many reason there are many guys waiting for a sub 250K car, they will be snatched up in a heart beat, me included. Those who buy them expensively will also sell them higher than the usual market value because they don't want to lose too much and in turn the market will stay high for a long time. Gotta remember in Canada there's not a big selection and everyone competes for the same one.

If you are looking at the green one at 230K with 70 000km on the odometer I would pass I know I have, at 230K there were cars under 20 000km. That also means its going to be time to replace parts that are starting to get worn out.

I wouldn't buy an R8 because others said you sell it 2-3 years down the road you'll lose a lot of money then trying to make it all back for an H.

In the back of my mind the C7 would support me in the fun department until I had enough for a Lambo, so far so good I love the car, I put on 33 000kms on it in the last 2 years just going for a spin every night and it's a great grocery getter! Bonus it gets a lot of attention too!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Now for some quick dirty math for example :

You buy an 180K R8 in 2021 :
180K x 1.15%= 27K in taxes

In 2023 you sell if for 165K = -15K loss

In 2023 you buy a 225K Huracan
225K x 1.15% = 34K in taxes

That means in 2-3 year you'll have to make up $42 000 to come back to your original plan, do you mind wasting that money?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My mantra when someone posts a similar query is

"Im glad I bought an R8 instead of a Huracan" said no one ever.

However im not a Canuck and $100K is a lot of coin.

Dont stretch yourself financially it wil make the ownership experience miserable.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,576 Posts

Dont stretch yourself financially it wil make the ownership experience miserable.
So true. As far as prices dropping anytime soon, I don’t think so. New COVID concerns and who knows what else could drive prices even higher.

·
Registered
416 Posts
tbh if you’re gonna buy an R8 I wouldn’t buy the current gen. Any first gen with manual transmission is a pretty cool car to own in its own right and it’s not just a detuned Huracan with an Audi body kit. Will be much cheaper and depreciation minimal, and still turns heads. Only 6k 1st gen R8s in the US vs like 12k Huracans.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You're all over the place. Sure you can afford the R8 but why not just wait, save or investment some more and buy a H when you're ready? I guarantee to you once you buy the R8 you'll have buyers remorse and kick yourself for rushing.

And I don't see clean, low mileage H's going down to the low 200's. Prior to this crazy car market a lot of the H's lurking in the low 2's were high mileage or story cars. Just save some more and get yourself a clean car and if you're worried about maintenance stay away from an Aventador.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yep that's a huge consideration. With the Huracan I'll need to finance a portion of it which I really don't want to do.

True. Never had to finance a car before
You're all over the place. Sure you can afford the R8 but why not just wait, save or investment some more and buy a H when you're ready? I guarantee to you once you buy the R8 you'll have buyers remorse and kick yourself for rushing.

And I don't see clean, low mileage H's going down to the low 200's. Prior to this crazy car market a lot of the H's lurking in the low 2's were high mileage or story cars. Just save some more and get yourself a clean car and if you're worried about maintenance stay away from an Aventador.
You're absolutely right. I've never been so torn on a decision before. I had a goal of buying an exotic by 30 so that is pushing me to pull the trigger already. Other thing I keep reminding myself is that life can change at anytime. I can afford an R8 right now but if my health deteriorates or business goes down for any reason or a huge unexpected cost comes up, then I will have missed out on a life experience of owning an exotic.

I don't see Huracans going around $200k by next year either unless a replacement is announced and it takes the hype away from Huracans but doesn't look like that will happen till around 2023-2024. I guess I just need to bust my ass harder to afford the Huracan comfortably instead of "settling" for the R8 even though it's an insane car as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts