Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look at youtube and google, there are plenty of "burning Gallardos" caught on camera - Top Gear (UK) even had a little rant about it at one stage...

In non-freeway traffic, my water temp is consistently between 90-100 degrees Celsius (194F -212F), and that's not even on a hot day. 100C is boiling temp. You can set flammables on fire at that temp...

When I look at the rear windscreen, I see these "heat waves" coming out of the engine bay grill.... I am sure I even saw a trace of smoke at one stage or maybe I just imagined it...

Not feeling confident about my new car here... LOL

Is everyone driving around with the same water temp and same heatwaves from the grill and not worried?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your water temperature range of 194-212F is completely normal, not just for a Gallardo but for any automobile. You'd see similar heat waves coming out of the hood of your daily driver if it had giant open slats cut in it as well. You might be surprised at how high the ignition temperature is of the other materials found in your engine bay. The headers will get hot enough to ignite many materials though (especially oil, egear, and power steering fluid with flashpoints in the 400-700 F range), but of course those fluids shouldn't be contacting the headers in normal operation! Keep a small fire extinguisher in your front trunk and don't stress out too much about it.

I will admit that sometimes while driving with the top down I'll get a wiff of burning exhaust from another car on the road, and frantically check my mirrors and gauges to ensure all is well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You see “heat waves” coming from your hood vents lol? Well of course, the engine gets hot. Is this your first performance car? I also used to have heat waves coming out of the hood vents of my Camaro SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All replies are reassuring, guys. Thanks. LOL

Not my first performance car, but certainly first with such obvious and large upward facing grills directly in my rear view mirror - constantly looking back and seeing the heatwaves every few seconds is a new (unsettling) experience for me.

The coolant temp gauge in my Boxster doesn't get above 90C (194F), same as my Quattroporte. And neither of those have any gigantic grills to let the heat out.... I would hate to think what the temp in the G would be without those grills....

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Yes, normal in my Gallardo and my Diablo. I always park the cars in the garage after a ride and put up the engine bonnet for a quicker cool
Down in the belief this will help the rubber and electrical and plastic parts last much longer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Early Gallardos also had power steering lines (high pressure side) that would rupture and leak potentially leading to fire. This initiated a recall by Lamborghini so if you've got an 04-06 make sure the lines were replaced at a dealership per the recall.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes, normal in my Gallardo and my Diablo. I always park the cars in the garage after a ride and put up the engine bonnet for a quicker cool
Down in the belief this will help the rubber and electrical and plastic parts last much longer.
You are correct and I do the same with all my cars except the daily drivers after a run.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If you have not done so, take your Gallardo to a Lamborghini Dealer so they can check it for recalls/campaigns. Lamborghini has issued a recalls/campaign for the bursting/leaking power steering hose.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you have not done so, take your Gallardo to a Lamborghini Dealer so they can check it for recalls/campaigns. Lamborghini has issued a recalls/campaign for the bursting/leaking power steering hose.
Isn’t there a national registry(NTSB) that tracks every recall for every vehicle sold in the US? I think you only have to enter a VIN and it will tell you about every recall your vehicle needs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I look at youtube and google, there are plenty of "burning Gallardos" caught on camera - Top Gear (UK) even had a little rant about it at one stage...

In non-freeway traffic, my water temp is consistently between 90-100 degrees Celsius (194F -212F), and that's not even on a hot day. 100C is boiling temp. You can set flammables on fire at that temp...

When I look at the rear windscreen, I see these "heat waves" coming out of the engine bay grill.... I am sure I even saw a trace of smoke at one stage or maybe I just imagined it...

Not feeling confident about my new car here... LOL

Is everyone driving around with the same water temp and same heatwaves from the grill and not worried?
I have a Gallardo as well.
Yes it's normal, Temps, Heat Waves, Hot smells, and yes maaayybbeeee a little smoke here and there. It gets hot! It's a Ragin Bull!! lol.
Don't worry, just keep watching all your gauges to be safe and have fun!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Early Gallardos also had power steering lines (high pressure side) that would rupture and leak potentially leading to fire. This initiated a recall by Lamborghini so if you've got an 04-06 make sure the lines were replaced at a dealership per the recall.
And E-Gear Pressure Lines. They lay over the exhaust and wear over time and with the high heat. One of mine in my '04 just broke a leak. Have to replace with metal lines.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Spider owners be extra cautious. Our cars have less heat dissipation and are a little more difficult to put the bonnet up after rides, in part because you have to hydraulically lift the bonnet but also in part because you do not want to keep the bonnet lifted and unsupported for any length of time. A little ounce of prevention however by raising the bonnet after more aggressive rides could be worth a pound of cure here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's not just the gallardo though...
It seem like majority of exotics are not immune to burning down. New or old..

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know the cost of the power steering repair kit from the dealer? Theres one on ebay for a whopping $750

$750 for a hose and some brackets. I bet you $750 that this hose is straight off of an audi and can be find elsewhere for $45.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know if the later models already came from factory with upgraded power steering lines? Mine is a 2012 LP.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Took my 2006 G into the dealer in response to a recall/campaign to replace the power steering hose. There was no charge. If you have not done it, you should take your G into the dealer to check for recalls.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Took my 2006 G into the dealer in response to a recall/campaign to replace the power steering hose. There was no charge. If you have not done it, you should take your G into the dealer to check for recalls.
This is a US government site that you can enter any US sold vehicle’s VIN. It will tell you every recall that has been issued for your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts