Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I don't know where to start, but seeing that I am an optimist I'll consider myself lucky that when the T/O bearing in my 1984 Countach ELA12706 failed I decided to go ahead and look into the engine. My initial intent was just to change the seals and replace head gaskets, but in opening things up and inspecting key components (rod and main bearings) it turned out to be more like opening pandoras box.

Every thing is apart now, #1 rod bearing is toast there must have been some metal debrise left in the oil passagess because the pump is fine no scoring or signs of deris passing through it, three out of the twelve pistons were inverted or rotated 180 degrees out, the engine block was never debured and the crank was never heat treated after final grinding.

Now I know that I was lucky to have had the common sense and take a look at things, because the engine was going to self destruct. This car is an all original low miliage (3,700 Km/2,300 mile) well documented car, I truley belive that this is the first time that this engine has ever been opened up. If this engine had been driven for any significate miles it would no longer exist.

The good news is that everything can be fixed the crank has been sent out to be x-rayed, ground and heat treaded. The factory offers oversized bearings and the block is getting the deburring that it never got from the factory.

All this being said I wonder how many of these early eighties cars self-destructed due to poor craftmanship when Lamborghini was going through its dark times and what bothers me even more is how many owners may not even be aware that their car is on the verge of self destruction. I would be interested in knowing from others if they have seen or are aware of problems during this period.

Good Luck to all Sincerely Vic

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Vic,

sorry to hear about this.

Unfortunately the Dark Times were full of problems concerning build quality. I've seen a myriad of issues, although none as serious as the ones you describe. Hope everything turns out well in the end.

Regards, JRV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts