Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
djantlive, I'll upload some pics when I can. I'm on dialup speeds for the next week =/

Well, normally you just splice the wires on the individual sensors together, but I did that and still had the warning. The break had to be somewhere else in the harness but pretty much impossible to find.

The way the system works is a current is sent from the dash to the left front wheel, and then from that wheel to the right front wheel, and then the rear ones, until it reaches some grounds on the fuel tanks. All I did was bypass the whole system.

I took the cluster out. Just pull off the plastic "binoculars" over the speedo/tach from the bottom and then there's 2 hex screws holding it in. Take those out and pull it forward, in the back there are 2 cables/connectors. Disconnect those and put the cluster aside. Pin 32 of the right hand plug is the one that creates the circuit. I opened the plug to see which wire it was (green/brown) and then stripped that wire a bit, spliced in another wire maybe 10" long, and stuck the other end of that wire under one of the screw heads behind the cluster. This way it just goes straight to ground without passing all around the car and it reads all ok.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had an issue with the warning lights coming on. Isolated it to occurring when I turned the steering wheelsharply at startup. Ended up that it was the cable connected to the sensors. On the 04s and 05s they were a little too short and this is apparently a frequently replaced item after a certain mileage. Including labor it cost me about $550 to replace and the problem has not resurfaced.

·
Registered
366 Posts
gvan - I just had the same exact problem occur on my car during the drive back from the Stampede/Monterey. "Brake Wear" message comes on - initially 15-20 minutes after starting the car, now almost immediately after starting. Pads are in great shape, so must be a broken/loose wire somewhere. Damn LA freeways - friggin' combat zone - probably jarred something loose.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
gvan - I just had the same exact problem occur on my car during the drive back from the Stampede/Monterey. "Brake Wear" message comes on - initially 15-20 minutes after starting the car, now almost immediately after starting. Pads are in great shape, so must be a broken/loose wire somewhere. Damn LA freeways - friggin' combat zone - probably jarred something loose.
I guess that's my cue for pictures eh? :)

1. So the plastic rings around the gauges pop right out. You have to pull from the bottom where they're clipped in and then slide them down as soon as they pop out (maybe 1/4") as at the top they're held by pins that will break if you pull from there.

2. Note how the little leather shroud is secured. Had me scratching my head for a few minutes upon reassembly as I didn't :)

3. Cluster is secured by just 2 hex screws underneath.

4. Find the right wire on the green plug and splice in a foot of wire. I used the wire from the brake sensor in the wheel well as I had removed those and it's the exact same. I took the connector apart to identify pin 32 but you can see the colours from the picture. Tape it up, heat-shrink it if you have.

5. Secure the other end of the wire to ground. I wrapped it around the base of one of the 4 screws that holds the telescoping steering column assembly.

Plug cluster back in, redo the 2 screws and the leather shroud, pop-on plastic rings. Job done. I took all the sensor wiring and brackets off the car. Saved 1/2lb :D

P.S. Obviously you might want to try to fix them at the wheel level first. But if that fails like it did with me, here you go. This is definitely a lot quicker and cleaner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

Reactions: robgreg75

·
Registered
366 Posts
Problem Solved.......

The cause of my "BRAKE WEAR" warning was ....

(wait for it)

.... a worn out brake pad!

"A" pad - not all of them. Only one of the left front pads was worn out - the other three were just fine. As luck would have it, the pad that wore out was the one pad with the wear sensor wire attached to it. The attached photos show the wear sensor wire and how it was "worn" out.

Not sure why the one pad took all the abuse. Maybe the piston is sticking and not letting the pad relax after releasing the brakes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hahaha :)

Definitely odd that only 1 of 4 pads on one wheel would wear.

Maybe time to rebuild the calliper?

Problem Solved.......

The cause of my "BRAKE WEAR" warning was ....

(wait for it)

.... a worn out brake pad!

"A" pad - not all of them. Only one of the left front pads was worn out - the other three were just fine. As luck would have it, the pad that wore out was the one pad with the wear sensor wire attached to it. The attached photos show the wear sensor wire and how it was "worn" out.

Not sure why the one pad took all the abuse. Maybe the piston is sticking and not letting the pad relax after releasing the brakes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll watch over the next couple of track days to see how the replacement pad holds up. If it wears down rapidly I'll take a serious look at the caliper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same issue here and after reading the forum posts, I went right to the front left wheel. I put a multiple meter across the terminals of the sensor leading back to the car, jiggled the wires, sure enough open circuit.

BUT... The break wasn't at the quick tie, it was inside the rubber boot of the connector.

I added an inch or so or wire to both the leads, soldered it up and all should be well.

I can't go for a test drive. I just washed the car last night and I have a rule that it has to stay clean for at least 24 hours and it's raining now.... :(

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I love this forum.

Doltmo, your story was pretty funny! Did you ever check out to see if the caliper was sticking?

Thanks for the pics Gvan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize this post is almost ten years old but I just had to do this on my 2004 Gallardo and it definitely works. Just a GVAN's guidance and pictures are excellent, and it did the trick. One note that I might add is that wire you are looking to ground is BROWN and green. In the picture it looks a bit orange, so I made the mistake of splicing the wrong wire (orange and green) at first. When it didn't work I took another look. So, just FYI, BROWN AND GREEN is the wire you want.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts