Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday after the car being idle for over a month I took it out (after changing oil seal) and immediately got a "BRAKE WEAR" warning on the dash.

Now the front rotors are new, the rears I measured and have plenty of life left. The pads look like there's about 50% of the material left. The gap between the back of the pad and the calliper is about 1/4".

Now I'm willing to accept that the pads should maybe be changed, but I'm a little curious about the warning. I don't think I'm hitting the brake wear sensor yet with half the pad still there, plus it was fine when I parked it, so what gives? Is the car warning based on the extension of the brake cylinders?

Maybe some of the longer-term owners know.

Thanks!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
chk brake fluid level. make sure it's topped off.

otherwise, it could be a tear in the sensor line. its a common problem.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chk brake fluid level. make sure it's topped off.

otherwise, it could be a tear in the sensor line. its a common problem.
I thought a break too, since I'd been working on the car, but I hadn't been anywhere near the wheels. Will check and also the level. I figured it might be fluid related, it sees the level and uses that to determine that the pistons are traveling too far or something.

May as well flush it while I'm at it. It's a PITA because of the location of the reservoir. not enough room to connect my power bleeder :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
As I understand it, sometimes the sensors malfunction and it causes the warning. My car does it sometimes randomly and I have checked the pads, rotors, and have 2k on new brake fluid with no leaks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The pad wear sensors are in the pads and only set off the warning when they've made contact with the rotors. Did the battery go flat while the car was sitting? A drop in voltage causes unusual indicators to pop up on the dash also.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pad wear sensors are in the pads and only set off the warning when they've made contact with the rotors. Did the battery go flat while the car was sitting? A drop in voltage causes unusual indicators to pop up on the dash also.
Ya that's why I was stumped since I have plenty of pad left. Just finished bleeding the fluid. It wasn't pretty. Only used about half the 1.5L Lambo says but then I realized the rest is probably in the clutch circuit.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
it is the brake sensor wiring harness. pretty common issue. they thought they fixed it in the 2008 (different wiring harness) - but the 2008 gets the same problems. there is a breakage somewhere.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Curious if the cable that connects the pads to the car could be the culprit? I get this warning quite a bit but at random times. Sometimes I dont get it and I have defintiely hit the brakes while driving. I have inspected the pads and see tons of pad left.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A breakage is quite likely. It generally happens on the front wheels where the VSS/BPS harness is mounted to the upper A-arm. I just fixed one last week.

I like to add about 1" of wire in that section in hopes of it reducing the likeliness of it happening again.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A breakage is quite likely. It generally happens on the front wheels where the VSS/BPS harness is mounted to the upper A-arm. I just fixed one last week.

I like to add about 1" of wire in that section in hopes of it reducing the likeliness of it happening again.
Ya I've heard the harnesses are a bit too tight there. Odd thing is how this happened while the car was sitting in the garage...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
from what i've read & heard the brakes are over engineered big time on these cars....so breakage sounds likely.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Josh,

When you have breaks in the harnesses in the front, where is it usually? Is it the bit attached to the pad or the harness that goes into the car, and if it's the car harness is the break usually in the wheel well area or would I have to track it all the way into the car?

Working on my seal this morning I did notice that the rear driver side one isn't routed properly and is very tight.

Would be handy if the warning told you which corner had the issue :(

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
They usually break right where the harness is zip tied to the a-arm, it's the chassis side of the harness. That is the pressure point on the wiring. If you have a diagnostic computer that communicates with the Lambo ABS, it does tell which sensor has the failure. From what I've seen it seems to be the L.F. corner most often.

The fault indicator immediately goes away, on it's own when the circuit is restored.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They usually break right where the harness is zip tied to the a-arm, it's the chassis side of the harness. That is the pressure point on the wiring. If you have a diagnostic computer that communicates with the Lambo ABS, it does tell which sensor has the failure. From what I've seen it seems to be the L.F. corner most often.

The fault indicator immediately goes away, on it's own when the circuit is restored.
I also hear LF. I cut and shorted all the pad wires and still getting the warning. My LF is actually quite loose.

I guess I'll trace the wires back up as far as I can in the wheel wells and short them further upstream. Bit of a pain as they merge with the ABS sensor wiring.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That's a bit frustrating Greg. Sounds like you may have to pull the trunk box out and hunt down the wires? I would look at the wiring diagram and get the ohm meter out and start checking continuity from the computer connector to the pad sensor connector.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think communicating with the ABS would tell you which corner. I found the wiring diagram and it goes from the cluster to each corner in series and then to ground, it's one big continuous circuit so you can't discern between corners.

So I took the cluster out, isolated the plug/pin, spliced in a short length of wire, and stuck the other end under a screw head (ground). Circuit is now complete, problem solved. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts