Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a good brake replacement for a 91 Diablo with stock 17" wheels. Brembro only has replacements for 18" and larger.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You could simply replace your old ATE Calipers with the Brembo units from the 1993 VT on, makes already a huge difference to the 2wd.

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
John,I forgot to tell you when we talked on the phone,that we have a Brembo upgrade for 91-93 diablos.The brakes on 91-93 are horrible.The VT Brembo won't fit yours because your mounting points are different than a VT.By going to brembo you'll save unspuing weight also.Your car will ride smoother too.

If you have any questions,give me a call.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The branking system on my 98 roadster is unbelievable. The large cross drilled rotors and large Brembo brakes make it stop extremely quick. If you can get that upgrade you should do it

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
To install the 1998 and later brakes you need also bigger rims...

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
If you have a 94-97 diablo and you want to upgrade to a 1998 brakes then you need 18" rims.If you have a 91-93 diablo,you don't have to go 18" with our brembo upgrade.Ours is designed to fit with 17" rims(for 91-93).

·
Registered
79 Posts
hi there i am a new diablo 91 owner and wondered what you did about upgrading your brakes..mine literaly dont work at all!
much thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check you have vacuum to your break boost - I bought a Gallardo and thought the breaks were rubbish until I worked out the vacuum line was disconnected. Now it stops like it's hit a wall...

·
Registered
79 Posts
thanks for the idea but its far worse than that, ie seveir shaking of the steering wheel under braking and complete brake loss on a windy down hill section. i think its time for a complete upgrade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
sounds like your front discs are warped - my EvoVI had the same symptoms - the warp in the disk bounces the pads into the calipers so they don't do anything. You can usually have the disks skimmed to sort this out, but as you say starting again if you can justify the cost will probably be best, though skimming the disks to true them will be FAR cheaper, and will probably give you a good a result as you need for normal road driving.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have a set of discs for a 91. Not sure if front or back. In storage. If you upgrade, you will need to change your tires and wheels from 17 inch to 18 inch. I didn't know this until I purchase new wheels and tires. When I need new tires I will upgrade the brakes. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Lamborghini&autoModel=Diablo&autoYear=1994&category=Rotors&category=BigBrakeKits&autoModClar=&brand=Brembo
or, http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/

Your problem is simple to figure out. Find out what you need. I changed my own and can be rebuilt very easy. No different than any other car. I've posted these before and after photos on the old site. I don't think you will find them in a search, so here goes again:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sean
Hi Tech Exotic Racing, My 1992 Diablo fitted with Koenig Racing brake kit,and I still used original 17" wheels, the track on the front wheel is wider than standard,
and with the suspension setting according to the factory manual with the given ride height both front and rear,
and I use the tires with sizes, and made as manual stated.

The setting for the front camber is set at -15' to -30'.

The outer edge of the front tires are rubbing the inner part of the front wheel arch lip at high speed bump. But it is only touched on the inner part of the wheel arch by about 2 mm.

The brake disks is now a 2 pieces with aluminum bell housing, and the caliper looks like a Brembo with the outer face machined down to make clearance to the inside of the 17" wheels.

Will your conversion kit to brembo to used with original 1992 Diablo 17" have wider track than standard to caused same problem with my Koenig brake set?

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
Sean
Hi Tech Exotic Racing, My 1992 Diablo fitted with Koenig Racing brake kit,and I still used original 17" wheels, the track on the front wheel is wider than standard,
and with the suspension setting according to the factory manual with the given ride height both front and rear,
and I use the tires with sizes, and made as manual stated.

The setting for the front camber is set at -15' to -30'.

The outer edge of the front tires are rubbing the inner part of the front wheel arch lip at high speed bump. But it is only touched on the inner part of the wheel arch by about 2 mm.

The brake disks is now a 2 pieces with aluminum bell housing, and the caliper looks like a Brembo with the outer face machined down to make clearance to the inside of the 17" wheels.

Will your conversion kit to brembo to used with original 1992 Diablo 17" have wider track than standard to caused same problem with my Koenig brake set?

Our Brembo conversion kit for 1991-1993 does not rub against the inner part of the front wheel. Our kit does not need to have a wider track in the front.

You do not have to upgrade to 18" wheel with our Brembo upgrade. Our Brembo kit fits under 17" wheels.

The reason that yours is rubbing might be because you had to use a spacer for Koenig upgrade. Do you have spacers in the front?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sean, I'm from Thailand, my time zone here is GMT+7. Are you using L.A time zone or New York time zone?

I need to be in touch with you via phone, I'm very much interested to get that Brembo conversion kit for 1991-1993. Or if you could PM me or send me email at [email protected] would be very much appreciated.

The Koenig Racing Brake kits came with my car when I bought it. I've never experience driving a standard 1992 Diablo before. By searching through their current website, I found out that for the front wheel there is a 15mm spacer built in to the bell housing on each of the front disk brakes with total 30 mm wider track at front. Front disk size is 355/32 mm. They also stated that this kit came with 10 longer wheel bolts for the front. And also at my rear wheels, there are fitted with a 20 mm spacers on each wheels with total 40 mm wider track at rear also 10 longer wheel bolts fitted. The appearance is great but as I mention earlier at high speed with high speed bump, the outer edge of front ties rub with inner edge of front wheel arch.

The front spacer is built in to the bell housing, only 3-4mm clearance between the caliper and the tip of the thread of the bolts holding 3 pieces of this original 17" wheel together. So I can not decrease front spacer down. in order to make the top of the front wheel moved inward to give room, I can not adjust front camber further than -1 degree as they pull the caster down below +6 degree.

So I guess that a new set of front brake kit to fit under original 17" wheel is needed. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
Sean, I'm from Thailand, my time zone here is GMT+7. Are you using L.A time zone or New York time zone?

I need to be in touch with you via phone, I'm very much interested to get that Brembo conversion kit for 1991-1993. Or if you could PM me or send me email at [email protected] would be very much appreciated.

The Koenig Racing Brake kits came with my car when I bought it. I've never experience driving a standard 1992 Diablo before. By searching through their current website, I found out that for the front wheel there is a 15mm spacer built in to the bell housing on each of the front disk brakes with total 30 mm wider track at front. Front disk size is 355/32 mm. They also stated that this kit came with 10 longer wheel bolts for the front. And also at my rear wheels, there are fitted with a 20 mm spacers on each wheels with total 40 mm wider track at rear also 10 longer wheel bolts fitted. The appearance is great but as I mention earlier at high speed with high speed bump, the outer edge of front ties rub with inner edge of front wheel arch.

The front spacer is built in to the bell housing, only 3-4mm clearance between the caliper and the tip of the thread of the bolts holding 3 pieces of this original 17" wheel together. So I can not decrease front spacer down. in order to make the top of the front wheel moved inward to give room, I can not adjust front camber further than -1 degree as they pull the caster down below +6 degree.

So I guess that a new set of front brake kit to fit under original 17" wheel is needed. Your help would be very much appreciated.
We are in LA time zone which is Pacific standard time. We make a lot of international calls. Email me your phone number and I'll give you a call. My email is [email protected].

You're correct, it looks like they are using spacers in order to make the clearance. We don't recommend using spacers in the front. It's OK to use it with the rear wheel but not front.

Our Brembo calipers are bigger than Koenigs. Ours have bigger pistons and probably larger pads. Our Brembo calipers are as big as Murcielago calipers. I will also email you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As per the brake set, I do agree with you about not putting the spacer to the front wheel, especially if you consider the geometry setting from the factory.

The turning point on the tires surface is fixed but with the spacer fitted, the front wheels move outward which result to the turning point on the tires surface will ended up closer to the inner surface of the tires footprint rather than toward the center where the friction tread of the tires designed situated.

This is why I really am very much appreciated with your Brembo kit. Especially if it does not move or change the front track of the car.

I will call to discuss with you, thank you very much indeed Sean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts