Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, A friend noticed I was blowing smoke when I down shifted in a 2005 Gallardo, E Gear, 50,000 miles. Do you think this is OK with a car this old or is it something I should worry about? THANKS!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Under warranty? Take it straight to a dealer and have them check it out.

A bit of smoke when the engine electronically blips the throttle for you between gears to rev-match... That has me curious.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
160 Posts
Under warranty? Take it straight to a dealer and have them check it out.

A bit of smoke when the engine electronically blips the throttle for you between gears to rev-match... That has me curious.
It's a 16 year old car, I doubt it's under warranty...

As for the smoke, check inside the air cleaner box and see if there's an excessive amount oil in it, overfilling the engine oil can cause accumulation in the airboxes and into the intake plenum.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oil is getting by the piston rings or valves?
If it is getting by the valves, it would be more prominent when engine braking. More suction to help the oil into the combustion chambers.
If it is getting by the rings, then blow-by is getting by the piston rings to the crankcase, so the oil would turn black pretty quickly.
But, yeah 16 years old... It may be healthy but just showing a bit of ring wear. As a test, you could put some ultra-thick oil in it (straight 50 or 60 weight) and see if the problem disappears, then discard the oil unless you really don't like fuel mileage. If the problem decreases, it is most likely oil getting sucked into the cylinders. You may want to have the engine rebuilt.
A leak-down test would help indicate any individual cylinders that were of concern.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ultra thick oil? Not recommended.
I know. Just for a few minutes to check the source of the problem. I think it was a Maserati? that had a combined gearbox/engine oil reservoir so they split the difference between 50 weight for the engine and 90 for the gearbox and just ran 70 weight. I'm guessing that they had little wear in the engine, and more wear in the gearbox, and not much blow-by...

PS it was the Lamborghini Miura that originally had such a lubricant package, until later when they had an LSD, which required additives that did not work with engine lubricant needs.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
160 Posts
I know. Just for a few minutes to check the source of the problem. I think it was a Maserati? that had a combined gearbox/engine oil reservoir so they split the difference between 50 weight for the engine and 90 for the gearbox and just ran 70 weight. I'm guessing that they had little wear in the engine, and more wear in the gearbox, and not much blow-by...
Just for a few minutes? That's 30 quarts of oil we're talking about dealing with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The PCV valves may need to be replace. As others said check the intake, mainly the left side one and see if there is a lot of oil, you can do this by opening the throttle body and looking in.

Ultra thick oil? Not recommended.
I use mobile 15-50 in mine all the time have since I got it, car has 65k miles now. Wouldn't use anything thicker.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
447 Posts
Definitely get the PCV's (and hoses/lines checked for integrity!) sorted/changed to make sure they're not a contributor to the issue, it just might clear everything up. Then, IF, you still have the problem start checking other things. Valve stem seals start to come into question with age and mileage, but usual most noticeable symtom is smoke at startup when the car has been parked for a while. Especially possible on cars that have been stored for Long periods of time without a startup, the seals dry out.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
447 Posts
The scratched cylinders are in a 2005 PreLP. The experts suspects it is scratches from catalyst particles that have been sucked in. The only thing I know for sure is that it sucks big time 😆
Symmetrical wear from pulled in loose particles?? Looks like piston skirt wear you would see on the bottom half of the bore, BUT it's ABOVE the rings.... like carbon seized ring gaps. Does look like there's a nice carbon crust on top of the piston

It can also be indicative of an overheating event where walls and rings expanded and sudden wear occurs along that 'pressure' area of piston travel. Also if a car sits for too long (years) without running the rings start to fuse to the walls, but the evidence would be a lot more obvious than I see here and it would be more random.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Symmetrical wear from pulled in loose particles?? Looks like piston skirt wear you would see on the bottom half of the bore, BUT it's ABOVE the rings.... like carbon seized ring gaps. Does look like there's a nice carbon crust on top of the piston

It can also be indicative of an overheating event where walls and rings expanded and sudden wear occurs along that 'pressure' area of piston travel. Also if a car sits for too long (years) without running the rings start to fuse to the walls, but the evidence would be a lot more obvious than I see here and it would be more random.
High rpm with an engine in extremely cold weather until warmed up some could possibly cause similar damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.