Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats in my -08 Gallardo Spyder. The seats are black with yellow stitching's and my worries are that the leather cleaner/conditioner will effect the color of the stitching's.

Would this be something to worry about or does the cleaner/conditioner normally not effect the stitching's?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,617 Posts
I used Zaino leather care on my black leather with yellow stitching and it did not darken or affect the yellow stitching at all. I tested it cautiously at first and now I just apply it generously without worry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Zaino leather care on my black leather with yellow stitching and it did not darken or affect the yellow stitching at all. I tested it cautiously at first and now I just apply it generously without worry.
Do you have a product code for what you use?
I have found Zaino Z-10 and Z-9.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
z9 is cleaner, z10 is conditioner. both are excellent. lexol cleaner works well too but i like the z10 better.

their polish is world class too. lasts forever as it is very durable.

i highly recommend starting with a nice wash, claybar, application of zaio, z5, Zcs, z6. once this is done once, you just need yearly z5 (20min) and occasional zcs and z6 (15 mins per car)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well here's what I would do with this concern:

1) Use masking tape and cover all the yellow stitching.
2) As cleaning the leather, the dirt will be rubbed over and possibly absorbed by the yellow stich if the stich is not taped over.
(Yes if my seats were dirty I would be concerned about transferring dirt to the cloth thread too.)
3) One the major dirt is cleaned off, remove tape and clean the stitching area carefully.

Zaino is good.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I bought the Zaino Z9 cleaner and Z10 conditioner based on some of the reviews. The Z9 seems to be ok, don't really have an issue with it.

But the Z10 I will not use again. The smell is very overpowering. It smells like leather x100, it's just to much. The smell of that stuff gives me a headache, makes me wonder what chemicals I am inhaling, and even after I let it dry overnight when I drive the car, my clothes smell like that stuff.

I will be looking for another product. If you have a sensitive sense of smell like I do, I highly recommend you do not buy this stuff.

Luckily I tried it on my Infiniti first, there is no way I want my Murcielago smelling like that stuff.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gave my interior a thorough detailing when my car arrived with Leatherique and it was absolutely fantastic. Stuff works wonders. There is definitely a smell when you're working with the product and I took care not to inhale it too deeply and worked in an open garage. The smell reminded of Toluene from my organic chemistry days.
Make sure to follow the instructions carefully. Their protocol seems a bit unorthodox but it works great. They have you put on a leather oil and let that soak in for hours, ideally in the sun to create a steamroom effect. That process pushes oil into the leather's pores and pushes the contaminants out to the surface. Then you follow up with their Pristine Clean which removes the contaminants and excess oil.

The smell you are left with is a completely natural new-leather smell. And I mean natural in the sense that it smells like new, healthy leather and the magnitude of smell is what you'd expect - certainly not overpowering and doesn't linger on your clothes. Almost without fail, every person who sits in my car or takes a look inside when I open it up for them comments that 'it smells brand new'.

As a side note, the Pristine clean worked incredibly well as a carpet cleaner. My car has Snowcorn (very light beige) carpets, floormats, etc and it pulled out any darkness that had accumulated. Simply spray the carpet with the included spray bottle and scrub with a new microfiber towel. Grab a big set of 25-50 cheap microfibers from Amazon and throw them away once dirty/loaded with product. You don't need super highend microfibers for this and I would never reuse them on the paint.

Link to the kit I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-Restoration-Products-16oz-Kit/dp/B0002SPCBW

I went back and bought a second, larger bottle of Pristine Clean since I used almost all of it during my initial treatment. It is now my go-to all purpose interior cleaner. You can use it on any interior surface. Even the buttons. I only used about 1/2 of the Rejuvenation Oil for 1 full murci treatment. Will likely reapply a second coat this summer once it warms up outside. I also can't recommend using their included brush on your leather. It seems way too stiff and I would be worried it might pull up some of your stitching. That brush is, however, tremendously useful for creating those beautiful opposing lines in the carpet that you'll see highend detailers do. Just remove the carpet, brush it completely straight in one direction, then take that brush and starting from left to right make a straight line down, move over a few inches, and straight line up, repeating for the rest of the carpet.
That gives you this lovely effect:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gave my interior a thorough detailing when my car arrived with Leatherique and it was absolutely fantastic. Stuff works wonders. There is definitely a smell when you're working with the product and I took care not to inhale it too deeply and worked in an open garage. The smell reminded of Toluene from my organic chemistry days.
Make sure to follow the instructions carefully. Their protocol seems a bit unorthodox but it works great. They have you put on a leather oil and let that soak in for hours, ideally in the sun to create a steamroom effect. That process pushes oil into the leather's pores and pushes the contaminants out to the surface. Then you follow up with their Pristine Clean which removes the contaminants and excess oil.

The smell you are left with is a completely natural new-leather smell. And I mean natural in the sense that it smells like new, healthy leather and the magnitude of smell is what you'd expect - certainly not overpowering and doesn't linger on your clothes. Almost without fail, every person who sits in my car or takes a look inside when I open it up for them comments that 'it smells brand new'.

As a side note, the Pristine clean worked incredibly well as a carpet cleaner. My car has Snowcorn (very light beige) carpets, floormats, etc and it pulled out any darkness that had accumulated. Simply spray the carpet with the included spray bottle and scrub with a new microfiber towel. Grab a big set of 25-50 cheap microfibers from Amazon and throw them away once dirty/loaded with product. You don't need super highend microfibers for this and I would never reuse them on the paint.

Link to the kit I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-Restoration-Products-16oz-Kit/dp/B0002SPCBW

I went back and bought a second, larger bottle of Pristine Clean since I used almost all of it during my initial treatment. It is now my go-to all purpose interior cleaner. You can use it on any interior surface. Even the buttons. I only used about 1/2 of the Rejuvenation Oil for 1 full murci treatment. Will likely reapply a second coat this summer once it warms up outside. I also can't recommend using their included brush on your leather. It seems way too stiff and I would be worried it might pull up some of your stitching. That brush is, however, tremendously useful for creating those beautiful opposing lines in the carpet that you'll see highend detailers do. Just remove the carpet, brush it completely straight in one direction, then take that brush and starting from left to right make a straight line down, move over a few inches, and straight line up, repeating for the rest of the carpet.
That gives you this lovely effect:
Very nice Dan, thank you for the write up.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I am a big fan of Leatherique as well. I bought it for my 1986 Jalpa. The seats were stiff in places and I was worried about the leather cracking. After 1 application, the seats became very soft and cleaned up to look practically new. I get a lot of compliments on my interior. After 8 or so years, I just treated them again. The leather looks great and the car is over 30 years old now. Leatherique comes up on some of the vintage sections from time to time, and I have yet to hear a bad review.

I used the cleaner on a couch I had in storage and it did wonders for it as well. Not much of a smell if you just use the cleaner.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am a big fan of Leatherique as well. I bought it for my 1986 Jalpa. The seats were stiff in places and I was worried about the leather cracking. After 1 application, the seats became very soft and cleaned up to look practically new. I get a lot of compliments on my interior. After 8 or so years, I just treated them again. The leather looks great and the car is over 30 years old now. Leatherique comes up on some of the vintage sections from time to time, and I have yet to hear a bad review.

I used the cleaner on a couch I had in storage and it did wonders for it as well. Not much of a smell if you just use the cleaner.
Thank you Ohlgren, will definitely have to give Leatherique a try.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I recently used the Zaino Z10 leather conditioner and I love it! I applied it with my hands so I could really massage it into the leather and get it into all the little edges and cracks and whatnot...let it sit for about 45 minutes then came back and buffed it lightly with a microfiber towel.

A poster above mentioned that the Z10 smell was TOO MUCH, but I didn't think this at all.
In fact I expected it to be much stronger based on that post, but it was very light and it's been about 2 months since I last used it and when I open my car door it smells like new leather.

To clean my seats and dash, etc, I just use a lightly damp microfiber cloth and wipe it all down...my interior doesn't (and shouldn't) have dirt or anything in it so I don't need a leather cleaner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts