Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZHWGU11MX5LA02526

Seen this guy on FB. He is a little odd to say the least. (claiming his car is better than a 'real' supperlegerra and the exhaust and other mods make it about 600 hp.

But anyway, he listed car for sale, and it is pretty obvious on the CF it is an ODO roll back. But he is trying to pass it off as a 'typo'. (which somehow every service for then next few years somehow got wrong also.

Buyer beware!

·
Registered
88 Posts
ZHWGU11MX5LA02526

Seen this guy on FB. He is a little odd to say the least. (claiming his car is better than a 'real' supperlegerra and the exhaust and other mods make it about 600 hp.

But anyway, he listed car for sale, and it is pretty obvious on the CF it is an ODO roll back. But he is trying to pass it off as a 'typo'. (which somehow every service for then next few years somehow got wrong also.

Buyer beware!

Ya I've seen that guy posting a ton since he bought it. He's an idiot.

·
Registered
807 Posts
2900-2980 lbs??? LOL My 2004 has not stock exhaust and I removed the awd system and it still weighed 3330 with 5/8 tank of fuel. Where did he lose 400 more pounds?

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
271 Posts
Where did he lose 400 more pounds?
Must be when you Roll the odometer back lots of other stuff falls off too......lol

Well, on paper........
Pre-LP curb weight estimates are in the 3,153 to 3,461 range depending upon options. His 'claimed' weight is not necessarily fantasy, but actual documentation would prove vital to support it. A simple wheel/tire swap can make a significant difference. Maybe all the impact bars and hardware (and what else) were removed when the bumpers were changed

A Spyder to weigh < 3000lbs.... Now that's a Fantasy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh, I see the red flag now (besides the 2 accident reports in 2006 & 2007). Weird because seems not much info after second last owner takes possession?
03/06/2017 -- 69,333 last reported odometer reading
OK
Independent Repair Center
VEHICLE SERVICED

Then once in Texas it becomes a mystery

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey, I have to say that I'm really surprised to see that even with Carfax and Autocheck in existence, this kind of stuff still goes on.......
Proof that there must be buyers who don't do their research, and to remind us to do so on EVERY potential deal, no matter who is selling!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I see the red flag now (besides the 2 accident reports in 2006 & 2007). Weird because seems not much info after second last owner takes possession?
03/06/2017 -- 69,333 last reported odometer reading
OK
Independent Repair Center
VEHICLE SERVICED

Then once in Texas it becomes a mystery

Looks like he pulled the autotrader down. FB is still up. Claiming car has 55k miles...and passing it off as if it was only a 'typo'.

·
Registered
263 Posts
2900-2980 lbs??? LOL My 2004 has not stock exhaust and I removed the awd system and it still weighed 3330 with 5/8 tank of fuel. Where did he lose 400 more pounds?
Dude he added a carbon fiber wing, carbon fiber side skirts, and miscellaneous carbon fiber trim. Carbon fiber is super light weight! I think just the wing along weighs like negative 250 lbs!

Honestly though what an idiot.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
165 Posts
So how does all this odometer rollback happen? Is it that easy to manipulate the odometer? Is it a hack or are they replacing the dash components? I’m not asking for step by step on how to do it, just wondering if there’s a “tell” that one could use to figure out if it’s been tampered with? Seems super common with Lambos for some reason.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure what this guys story is but about a year a go my mother-in-law went to trade in her Ford Focus for a new Toyota and the Toyota dealership said there was an odometer rollback issue and wouldn't give her fair trade for her car. I looked at the report and it was obvious when her car was at the Ford dealership for oil change services that they fat fingered the mileage when they entered it. Mileage went from 35k to 33k and then to 43k. The 33k should have been 38K. Caused all kinds of issues and was a PIA trading her car in. Dealership couldn't do anything about it to fix the report.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how does all this odometer rollback happen? Is it that easy to manipulate the odometer? Is it a hack or are they replacing the dash components? I’m not asking for step by step on how to do it, just wondering if there’s a “tell” that one could use to figure out if it’s been tampered with? Seems super common with Lambos for some reason.
Google 'odometer correction' and there are all kinds of 'companies' you can send your gauge cluster to in order to have your odometer "corrected".

There is a legit reason to have this done. Say your dash becomes inop...etc, you might then have to replace it and need the mileage to reflect actual. But I would hazard to say 95% of the business is used for illegal purposes.

I believe on the Gallardo and older lambos, it is stored on a eprom in the dash unit. Some cars it is OBD accessible.

On Huracans, it is stored in multiple places. I have heard of stories where people put 'mileage blockers' on a H, but when the dealer reads the trans it reflects the actual mileage and there no way of hiding it. (why a PPI at a lambo dealer is a must). Some cars, I think BMW and possibly mercedes fight fraud by storing in even more places like the car keys.

Not sure what this guys story is but about a year a go my mother-in-law went to trade in her Ford Focus for a new Toyota and the Toyota dealership said there was an odometer rollback issue and wouldn't give her fair trade for her car. I looked at the report and it was obvious when her car was at the Ford dealership for oil change services that they fat fingered the mileage when they entered it. Mileage went from 35k to 33k and then to 43k. The 33k should have been 38K. Caused all kinds of issues and was a PIA trading her car in. Dealership couldn't do anything about it to fix the report.

That is not the case with the car listed but yes you are correct that can happen. I saw a car fax one time for a car where it was flagged for 'odometer rollback', but it was only 100 miles and separated by a single day. What happened was car was inspected first, then they they went and titled it and wrote the wrong info on the odometer disclosure when they titled. (probably making their best guess). Only problem was service station who did inspection had exact mileage and the mileage listed on the new title/registration was slightly under (again, probably a guess) and it put a flag in the system.

ALWAYS verify mileage and dont guess when title-ing or registering.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This will scare the crap out of you!

Here is a vid of a company that sells mileage blockers 'for testing'. BUT....it is still reading in the trans since it is only interrupting the signal to the dash. Again, having a PPI done and specifically requesting that the trans be scanned for mileage.

Or here is a UK company promising to 'correct' you H mileage. But again, this wont hide / change what is stored in the trans. This will however work on Gallardos, Murcis and I think Aventadors.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
165 Posts
Wow. That’s unfortunate.
I have seen carfax reports with incorrect “error” entries (like when someone at a service center puts in the wrong info). However, Carfax noted this as such and didn’t flag it as rollback.
I do know that the DME’s on all the 2021 and up BMWs are now encrypted by Bosch. You can’t even bench unlock them. This has essentially put a halt to performance tuning. And even many of the older ones datalog everything so they can tell if you messed with the car in any way (and void your warranty claim if you did).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh, and to top it off, that car is not an SL. First time I've ever seen a person upbadge a gallardo.

@Itsagoodday Funny how this stuff always pops up on Lamborghini forums. I learned about those things when I was digging around to find that bootleg LARA software that gets passed around. Wound up finding a whole world I didnt even know about. People get ahold of private dealership software, crack it and sell it for next to nothing. Its mostly people in India for whatever reason. Entire forums dedicated to this stuff. Crazy. These forums arent indexed on google and are very hard to find, but they're around. Wasnt brave enough to send someone money in exchange for the bootleg LARA setup. Hard to trust them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and to top it off, that car is not an SL. First time I've ever seen a person upbadge a gallardo.

@Itsagoodday Funny how this stuff always pops up on Lamborghini forums. I learned about those things when I was digging around to find that bootleg LARA software that gets passed around. Wound up finding a whole world I didnt even know about. People get ahold of private dealership software, crack it and sell it for next to nothing. Its mostly people in India for whatever reason. Entire forums dedicated to this stuff. Crazy. These forums arent indexed on google and are very hard to find, but they're around. Wasnt brave enough to send someone money in exchange for the bootleg LARA setup. Hard to trust them.

Yes with motivation, there are lots of ways people who are motivated, can screw people.

More than ever the reason not to try to find the 'best' deals. The old 'if it seems too goo to be true'.

The great thing is the REAL nice cars generally have a consistent pedigree of both maint AND other records and it is pretty easy to determine legit cars when looking at the 'big' picture. Carfax and auto check can help and when you take everything into account, you can hopefully spot the cars that are worth buying.

Unfortunately some guys are trying so hard to get into these cars that they can only afford the cars w/ stories. In that case, go in eyes wide open and be aware. It might be the right path for some. Just never saw the attraction in trying to buy the cheapest example I could find. Felt better about finding the car I really felt good about and then the extra money that had to come with it was easily justifiable in the big picture.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Must be when you Roll the odometer back lots of other stuff falls off too......lol

Well, on paper........
Pre-LP curb weight estimates are in the 3,153 to 3,461 range depending upon options. His 'claimed' weight is not necessarily fantasy, but actual documentation would prove vital to support it. A simple wheel/tire swap can make a significant difference. Maybe all the impact bars and hardware (and what else) were removed when the bumpers were changed

A Spyder to weigh < 3000lbs.... Now that's a Fantasy :rolleyes:
I still think it is fantasy. Like is said mine has aftermarket exhaust and is 2wd which should have saved around 100lbs and mine still weighs 3330 with 5/8 a tank of fuel. So mine would be under 3300 with less fuel yes. He would need to lose 400lbs from 3300 pounds the car would weigh due to awd removal. He is just guessing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I still think it is fantasy. Like is said mine has aftermarket exhaust and is 2wd which should have saved around 100lbs and mine still weighs 3330 with 5/8 a tank of fuel. So mine would be under 3300 with less fuel yes. He would need to lose 400lbs from 3300 pounds the car would weigh due to awd removal. He is just guessing.
Yeah, I was just trying to be nice, but at the same time suggesting removal of vital elements necessary for crash safety. It does have 2 accident reports, if one was front and the other was rear that would easily explain both bumper 'upgrades', Good time to yank everything out that's bent or damaged, save money by not replacing, and justifying it as 'Weight Reduction'..... the Ricky Road Racers do it all the time. Still, he'd be lucky if even added up to 100lbs..................... I didn't see any pictures of the interior. Maybe there's just a Milk Crate and a Steering wheel, Haha

Reactions: robgreg75

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I was shopping for my car I realized the same thing.

Aftermarket front/rear bumper? 9 times out of 10 its because of a crash. I'm not talking about the lp560 or lp570 bumpers. The ones that are styled differently and the weird "long" lp570 bumpers. I can only assume its because people crash the car and are too cheap to buy an RSC, Renown, or OEM replacement. Being cheap isnt what I want to see from the previous owner. Those rear grilles, too. The grilles on the gallardo are like $500 each. Aftermarket ones are cheaper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts