Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Great forum, I'm new here and I am interested in purchasing my first Lamborghini and first exotic car. My thinking is to start with a used model instead of purchasing new. I've been doing some research on dealer's used inventory and have seen a range of pricing. I'm skeptical of dealer pricing because I have dealt with non-exotics in the past and used cars from dealers are generally priced differently than direct private transactions with owners. I'd also like to correctly gauge how much I will be into the car for before buying it (i.e. total cost from purchasing, maintaining, and selling) so I would like to be able to estimate how much I could get at the end of the ownership period of the car.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to determine the correct market value for a used Lambo? For example, what methods do you use to figure out how much your should be buying or selling your used Lamborghini for?

Thanks so much in advance,
A.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - Also, would you say that dealer, cargurus, and autotrader prices are roughly where I would also be able to privately sell the Lambo once I decided to sell? (disregarding market moves over time, etc.)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The value of the cars have a lot to do with mileage and condition. Much more so than regular cars. Also rarity has a substantial role in value. V-12s tend to hold their value extremely well and appreciate after bottoming out at about a third of the original purchase price. Most exotics bottom out at 15 to 20 years and then go up. Find an 03 or 04 murcie in great shape and you will be hard pressed to lose money.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
I used Cargurus and Dupont Registry to get an idea of pricing then negotiated down from the asking. One other thing I would recommend is if you use Cargurus contact the seller/dealership directly and not through Gurus webpage. When I found the car I wanted I negotiated 8K off and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,506 Posts
You can also use Carfax and True Car.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd also like to correctly gauge how much I will be into the car for before buying it (i.e. total cost from purchasing, maintaining, and selling) so I would like to be able to estimate how much I could get at the end of the ownership period of the car.
Trying to devise an exit plan even before you've seen the first car is the wrong strategy. Nobody here has a crystal ball. Are you OK with depreciation? What is your budget? How will you use the car? Coupe or convertible? Manual, e-gear, or dual clutch? What level of maintenance support do you have where you live? So many unknowns....

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,506 Posts
For searching current values you can also search Auto Trader.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Dupont registry is usually way overpriced. Auto trader and Car gurus seem to be much more in line. Figure you can get 5 to 10% off a private seller.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Dupont registry is usually way overpriced. Auto trader and Car gurus seem to be much more in line. Figure you can get 5 to 10% off a private seller.
Lee, sometimes both Gurus and Dupont list the same cars at the same price, and then as you well know, the asking price is simply a point of departure from where the negotiations begin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trying to devise an exit plan even before you've seen the first car is the wrong strategy. Nobody here has a crystal ball. Are you OK with depreciation? What is your budget? How will you use the car? Coupe or convertible? Manual, e-gear, or dual clutch? What level of maintenance support do you have where you live? So many unknowns....
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

This is my first foray into the exotic car market and I'm not necessarily planning an exit. I'm trying to get an understanding of whether I should buy new or used and I want to learn how to value the car if I buy used and how to value the car when I sell it. I'm located in Manhattan and I would most likely keep the car for around three years as I do not want to pay for exotic car parking over the long term. I'm leaning towards a Huracan Evo as everyone has pointed out how dependable they are. The car would be a second car that would just be used on short drives. With this in mind would you suggest buying new or buying one that is a few years old with some miles on it, or is it really a wash either way if I'm paying market price in both situations?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It really depends on what it's worth to you for a warranty. When I bought my car, used ones could be had for around $25k less than a new one, I am talking very low mileage ones. So I bought a new one. I think that gap would be less with EVO's at least for a while, but that depends on spec and location.

Edit: Thinking about it the gap was actually less because I didn't pay MSRP, let's say $10k for a spec I wanted with full warranty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really depends on what it's worth to you for a warranty. When I bought my car, used ones could be had for around $25k less than a new one, I am talking very low mileage ones. So I bought a new one. I think that gap would be less with EVO's at least for a while, but that depends on spec and location.

Edit: Thinking about it the gap was actually less because I didn't pay MSRP, let's say $10k for a spec I wanted with full warranty.
Thanks!

Also, I haven't stopped by a dealership yet but what is the standard warranty for these? I'm assuming it's lower mileage and years of ownership than non-exotics.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you buy cars that have already taken the lions share of depreciation, you are likely to loose very little in value. Most collectible , rare and exotic cars bottom out at 15 to 25 years and then start back up. Lambos are inherently valuable due to rarity, collectability and the perceived value. Collectable musclecars from the 60s were really cheap in the 80s. Now they are way up. In 2009 Countaches could be bought for 80K, diablos 60 to 80 and a Jalpa for 30 to 40. All those cars are 3 to 4 times that now. The downside to older Lambos is maintenance. However a very well maintained older car with low miles is a good investment. One a year or two old still has a big depreciation slide to go. V-12s are always more valuable than anything else downline unless you have an extremely rare v-10 or 8. If you want a driver that you hardly ever mess with, buy a new or nearly new car. If you like to play with them like me, buy the coolest one you can find 15 to 20 years old and watch it go up. Remember , if a car started at 500K it has way more upside than a car that started at 200K. (Look at Murias) (Countaches, etc) I think old Murcies are a great buy right now. Probably the best value out there. Lee

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you buy cars that have already taken the lions share of depreciation, you are likely to loose very little in value. Most collectible , rare and exotic cars bottom out at 15 to 25 years and then start back up. Lambos are inherently valuable due to rarity, collectability and the perceived value. Collectable musclecars from the 60s were really cheap in the 80s. Now they are way up. In 2009 Countaches could be bought for 80K, diablos 60 to 80 and a Jalpa for 30 to 40. All those cars are 3 to 4 times that now. The downside to older Lambos is maintenance. However a very well maintained older car with low miles is a good investment. One a year or two old still has a big depreciation slide to go. V-12s are always more valuable than anything else downline unless you have an extremely rare v-10 or 8. If you want a driver that you hardly ever mess with, buy a new or nearly new car. If you like to play with them like me, buy the coolest one you can find 15 to 20 years old and watch it go up. Remember , if a car started at 500K it has way more upside than a car that started at 200K. (Look at Murias) (Countaches, etc) I think old Murcies are a great buy right now. Probably the best value out there. Lee
Thank you for the great advice. I figure my first exotic will be a car that I drive for pleasure and if I ever move into a home with a garage I will consider a second one as an "investment" or collectable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts