Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to ruin my clutch, but I've never driven a 4WD sports car before. I've heard that for 4WD's, because of the differential, you really shouldn't jack-rabbitt start the car, but, instead, get it rolling, and then floor the accelerator. Is this true? What's the best way to get a quick 0-60 time?

h

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats true. But..if you have a warranty, launch it however you want! LOL jk. But really, its harsh on the car.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Tach up as normal, there is no big pause and then get on it, just wait untill your foot is off the clutch before you stomp on it. Even rear drive Lambo's are not designed for hard launching, there is too much weight over those large tires and the weak link goes first "the clutch" at the tune of $10,000.00 + or - depending on if the dealer does it or not. I have loged about 12,000 miles on my 2 Countach's and have taken my fair share of races without ever replacing a clutch.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone told me 5000rpm. I had it to 5000rpm and let the clutch go and the car nearly stalled and lurched forward. Wasn't too impressed. ;)

-Ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about the e-gear?

Can I floor the accelerator from standstill ?
Have done so a couple of times, but with the 4WD the car moves without any fuss. ASR was left on though.

Anybody with e-gear with any feedback?
Does flooring the accelerator from standstill burn the clutch overly?

L

·
0 Posts
Quick comment, fwiw. If you don't want huge repair bills, don't do this. It's that simple. If you don't mind paying the bills, then that's another thing.

And don't assume a warranty will cover this. Some manufacturers are storing "burnout" info in the onboard computers and will not cover. Better check with somebody who knows about this first before assuming a warranty will cover.

Good luck,

Fred

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did one all out launch on my 6.0 to get an accurate 0-60 and quarter mile time. I would not do it again. But this netted me under a 3.4 0-60. I revved to 5500, dropped the clutch, and as the car began to move the slightest, gave it full throttle. It launched like a ROCKET. Even easing the 6.0 out of the hole, and then pounding it, netted me a 3.6. Best not to do it at all, unless you are highly experienced. jmho.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
That's the problem, you don't "drop" the clutch you blend it. I have my Countach's rolling at 2500 rpm if your taching up to 5000 and it's about to stall your doing somthing wrong. or there is somthing wrong with the car. You can get the car to roll without giving it any gas, you need to take your car to a empty parking lot, or a private street near your home and practice. If you slowly take your foot off the clutch on level ground, with no gas at all, you will see the car start to roll and become familar with it's quirks. Not all Lambo's drive exactly the same but you need to become one with your car and let it tell you what it wants.

As for the post asking about the Silhouette vs Countach: The Silhouette is a great driving car, more comfortable, easy to drive, great visability, great sound, and oh so rare.......The Countach's I had were both great cars and I love them, they are more demanding on the driver and are more tempermental, but there is nothing like a Countach with a euro exaust and the carbs set up right howling down the road. I don't think you can compare them as they are very different cars. I will buy a Countach again, but I may wait untill I can have them both because if I sell the Silhouette, the odds are that I will never find one again.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
You better know how to do it correctly because if you don't,you'll have a nice repair bill on your hand.
Assuming you have already budgetted for a new clutch, knowing some of the additional costs (failure points) my help rid the thought too....

Taking a diablo VT for an example, the failure point can easily be the VT coupling unit. A internal "gear" will fail, next will be its retaining ring resulting in the ejection of both out through the cassing. Think north of 20 Gs...

-mick

PS Some level of protection (additional welds to the retaining "ring") were added to prevent the parts coming through cassing in mid 99's since the cassing was the really expensive part. :eek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
mnm said:
How about the e-gear?

Can I floor the accelerator from standstill ?
Have done so a couple of times, but with the 4WD the car moves without any fuss. ASR was left on though.

Anybody with e-gear with any feedback?
Does flooring the accelerator from standstill burn the clutch overly?
With E-Gear ESP off,Sport mode on, just as quick as you can foot off brake STAB to the floor throttle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to all for their responses. given all the caveats about posssible damage, i guess it isn't a great idea on a 4WD. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
henrus said:
thanks to all for their responses. given all the caveats about posssible damage, i guess it isn't a great idea on a 4WD. :D
Egear is no problem with launch computer revs engine to 2400 RPM dumps clutch no big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
gforce said:
Egear is no problem with launch computer revs engine to 2400 RPM dumps clutch no big deal.
Does this burn the clutch?

If i leave the ESP on or off when stabbing the throttle from standstill - which burns the clutch more? Presumably the car launches faster without the ESP?

·
Registered
49 Posts
tony_lambo said:
That's the problem, you don't "drop" the clutch you blend it. I have my Countach's rolling at 2500 rpm if your taching up to 5000 and it's about to stall your doing somthing wrong. or there is somthing wrong with the car. You can get the car to roll without giving it any gas, you need to take your car to a empty parking lot, or a private street near your home and practice. If you slowly take your foot off the clutch on level ground, with no gas at all, you will see the car start to roll and become familar with it's quirks. Not all Lambo's drive exactly the same but you need to become one with your car and let it tell you what it wants.

As for the post asking about the Silhouette vs Countach: The Silhouette is a great driving car, more comfortable, easy to drive, great visability, great sound, and oh so rare.......The Countach's I had were both great cars and I love them, they are more demanding on the driver and are more tempermental, but there is nothing like a Countach with a euro exaust and the carbs set up right howling down the road. I don't think you can compare them as they are very different cars. I will buy a Countach again, but I may wait untill I can have them both because if I sell the Silhouette, the odds are that I will never find one again.
Well, if your speaking Countach, you are not talking about an AWD car. The launch techniques in a Countach and an AWD are night and day. The best time achieved in an AWD car is to "drop the clutch". As I stated, you can ease it out, and loose a couple of tenths. Much safer, but not as quick.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Was not the question how to properly launch a Lambo without doing damage?
I have driven just about every Lambo made, been in Kaminski's club for years and was trying to explain how to drive the car properly, not how to abuse it to gain tenths.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does lamborghini have planned failure of the clutch after some arbitrary number of miles in their egear models? and if this is the case, do they replace it under warranty?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts