Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a steep underground car park to the building and I need to activate the lift system twice every time I drive the car (exit and entry). I drive the car maybe once a week on average. I have been wondering if it's better (or worse) for the car, as far as preventing wear on the lift/suspension strut goes, that when I park the car for the week, I leave the front in the "up" state?

Is it being "up" that causes wear (pressure on the various seals and sealing surfaces in the lifted strut)?

Or is it the act of "lifting up/down" that causes more wear (pumping fluid in and out - which is how I assume a lift suspension works)?

·
Registered
Lambo
100 Posts
I have a similar situation, and have used mine more regularly than you have mentioned and have had no issues. I also believe its air not fluid. I just make sure to never leave mine "up".

I think you'll be fine using it when needed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The system uses the car's power steering fluid to fill the lifting/bellow units on the shocks and lift the front. The unit is under high(er) pressure when the nose is lifted, so although there is no definitive word in the owner's manual about how to prevent wear on the system I'd say leaving it up is worse than raising and lowering it twice. The way I see it, the less time at high pressure the better.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
140 Posts
The seals are the weak point so don't leave it in the raised position, other than that just use it, if it's going to break it's going to break but no sense constantly tippy toeing around every system on these cars, a few less up/down cycles aren't going to save it if it's destined to give up the ghost.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,547 Posts
Two things, left Up = Bad plus if you have your car transported make sure after they load it that they put the lift back in the down position while in transport.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also believe its air not fluid.
It's definitely fluid.
The system uses the car's power steering fluid to fill the lifting/bellow units on the shocks and lift the front. The unit is under high(er) pressure when the nose is lifted, so although there is no definitive word in the owner's manual about how to prevent wear on the system I'd say leaving it up is worse than raising and lowering it twice. The way I see it, the less time at high pressure the better.
I can't speak to the pre-LP, but wanted to note that the LP has it's own system, with a pump and built in reservoir under the front hood.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Seems like the consensus is to NOT leave it in the "up" position when parked. Thanks.

Yeah, you guys are right. Just use it as needed and try not the worry. My main concern is that if it ever breaks when I am inside the underground car park, I wouldn't know how to get it out of the car park to get it fixed without bumping the front skirt and dragging the mid underbody of the car over the raised exit ramp... there is neither the height nor width clearance in the car park for a tow vehicle to enter....

Not sure if replacing the lift system can be a DIY job I carry out in the car park over a few hours without a proper lift....

Both options would cause an embarrassing spectacle, I imagine.... 😅

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
140 Posts
Ok. Seems like the consensus is to NOT leave it in the "up" position when parked. Thanks.

Yeah, you guys are right. Just use it as needed and try not the worry. My main concern is that if it ever breaks when I am inside the underground car park, I wouldn't know how to get it out of the car park to get it fixed without bumping the front skirt and dragging the mid underbody of the car over the raised exit ramp... there is neither the height nor width clearance in the car park for a tow vehicle to enter....

Not sure if replacing the lift system can be a DIY job I carry out in the car park over a few hours without a proper lift....

It's the shocks that are the front lift so if one fails you'd be replacing the shock, on pre-LP cars the system is self bleeding via the power steering system not sure on the LP cars as far as the bleeding goes. If it breaks it breaks, as for embarrassing who cares what others think? It's not like it's the only car on earth that ever broke down and needed a tow truck, that's why theres towing companies that do nothing but tow broken cars around all day long 24/7/365.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the shocks that are the front lift so if one fails you'd be replacing the shock, on pre-LP cars the system is self bleeding via the power steering system not sure on the LP cars as far as the bleeding goes. If it breaks it breaks, as for embarrassing who cares what others think? It's not like it's the only car on earth that ever broke down and needed a tow truck, that's why theres towing companies that do nothing but tow broken cars around all day long 24/7/365.
Sure.

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts
Damn, never thought of this….. I always leave my SL up in the garage for no reason! Heading to garage right now!

Reactions: Rcasa20

·
Registered
788 Posts

If it ever fails while in the garage, I would attempt to back the vehicle out of the garage at an angle. Worth a try. In fact you can try it out now, just in case and also to alleviate your concerns.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Damn, never thought of this….. I always leave my SL up in the garage for no reason! Heading to garage right now!
Better late than never. How many Lamborghini demerit points does that earn you? :giggle:

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's the shocks that are the front lift so if one fails you'd be replacing the shock, on pre-LP cars the system is self bleeding via the power steering system not sure on the LP cars as far as the bleeding goes.
The cylinders on LP cars have a bleeder like a brake caliper. Fluid used is equivalent to Dexron/Mercon ATF. Method is to top off the reservoir. Attach a hose to the bleeder screw. Activate front lift. Deactivate front lift and open bleed screw. Just before cylinder is fully collapsed, close the screw. Repeat steps as necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
As an aside for EVO owners or soon to be owners the Unica App is useful since it tells the status of the cars windows, doors, frunk, engine lid and FAL at all times no matter where the vehicle is. See attached image on Unica when the FAL is left in the up position. This was helpful because on one occasion it was left in the up position at the dealership when I dropped it off for service and after seeing that I called the dealership and had them lower it.

Attachments

Reactions: Rcasa20

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts
Damn, never thought of this….. I always leave my SL up in the garage for no reason!
Better late than never. How many Lamborghini demerit points does that earn you? :giggle:
lol, you’re a senior member to me so you tell me!

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Damn, never thought of this….. I always leave my SL up in the garage for no reason!

lol, you’re a senior member to me so you tell me!
I conferred with Lamborghini solicitor and he indicated since it's your first offense a warning would suffice. :giggle:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If it ever fails while in the garage, I would attempt to back the vehicle out of the garage at an angle. Worth a try. In fact you can try it out now, just in case and also to alleviate your concerns.
Nah... can't do that. The garage is underground and goes up to exit at a steep upslope, followed by an immediately downsloping pavement, followed by another upward bend where the pavement joins the road. If I try backing up that exit upslope, it will first destroy my clutch, and I will then probably hit a pedestrian on the pavement who won't be visible in my rear-view mirror because the pavement angles down. I can't approach the ramp/tip at an angle either - the exit is a narrow tunnel 6 metres long - my mirrors clear the steel posts of the exit gate by about 5cm on both sides, one of which will probably come off when I try to exit by reversing at speed.....

Come to think of it, I enter the same ramp down into the garage, requiring the lift. So backing up it without a lift won't clear anything at all.... Just adds clutch damage and mirror damage and pedestrian injury to the list.... :unsure:

I wonder if there is a way to install some sort of spring "pry-open" device to manually lift the springs that way? I can take off the front wheels in the garage, exposing the suspension strut and the springs, and maybe install some sort spring spacer like that?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's all conjecture though... We are thinking keeping the car lifted results in more wear on the seals... it could just as well be that keeping it lifted causes the seal to be "nourished" by the fluid so they don't dry out so they live longer than if not lifted. Also, despite the added stress to the seals when lifted, one can speculate the act of lifting adds more stress during the process itself - as in, 10 seconds of lifting is more damaging to the seals than 10 hours of sitting in up position, for example....

All just speculations without a suspension lift engineer tell us the theory and a mechanic clarifying the reality....

You might get the last laugh when one day all our lifts have failed from constantly going up and down when you just kept yours lifted when parked.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
@Jinster, curious minds want to know are you going to leave it in the up or down position going forward?

One thing I will relate again for the record, and it may helpful to other owners. When I used to clean my 3RS and 2RS I would put the FAL in the up position so I had better access to the wheel wells for cleaning until one time after the cleaning when I was lowering the FAL I heard a nasty screeching sound. So, did I wash the lubricant off of the exposed surfaces? Not sure but I no longer leave the FAL up when cleaning the car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's all conjecture though... We are thinking keeping the car lifted results in more wear on the seals... it could just as well be that keeping it lifted causes the seal to be "nourished" by the fluid so they don't dry out so they live longer than if not lifted. Also, despite the added stress to the seals when lifted, one can speculate the act of lifting adds more stress during the process itself - as in, 10 seconds of lifting is more damaging to the seals than 10 hours of sitting in up position, for example....

All just speculations without a suspension lift engineer tell us the theory and a mechanic clarifying the reality....

You might get the last laugh when one day all our lifts have failed from constantly going up and down when you just kept yours lifted when parked.
Not quite. There is always oil within the lift unit/bellow on the shocks. When you command to lift the noise, that oil goes from low(no) pressure to high pressure. The high pressure fluid then expands the unit/bellow and extends the shock. I haven't measured the system pressure but I'd assume (because it's using power steering fluid) when down it is near zero and when raised it is somewhere in the 100-150 psi range. So keeping the nose lifted keeps those seals under high pressure, and in my book the same seal is going to last longer when not under pressure unless the system is explicitly designed for constant high pressure (like most air suspension systems are).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts