Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace the engine shaft bearings on their Murci? I've got a slight leak from both bearings that I'll likely replace when I replace the clutch and do an engine out service.

My question is, am I running any major risk waiting to get this done?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bumper

Automotive tire Rim Fixture Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks like a bit of seeping from the seal and should not be too critical for the short term. You ABSOLUTELY want to replace these bearings when the engine is out. With the engine in it is a monster of a job but out it only takes a few minutes. I made a video explaining the whole procedure:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a bit of seeping from the seal and should not be too critical for the short term. You ABSOLUTELY want to replace these bearings when the engine is out. With the engine in it is a monster of a job but out it only takes a few minutes. I made a video explaining the whole procedure:
Ah thanks for this, it's the only video I came across and a very detailed one at that.

Good to know the bearings themselves are cheap!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think any of those bearings have seals that are holding back engine or transmission oil, so they wouldn't "leak." They may have some grease inside that is oozing out, or it maybe someone sprayed some lube on the outside of them. In either case, I wouldn't worry about it unless there's play or they are making noise.

·
Registered
LP640
2,286 Posts
Those are the bearings for the driveshaft. You don't want a driveshaft bearing completely failing, it's a good idea to replace it sooner than later. I had one fail in my car, the tell on mine was metallic dust on the oil pan, upon further inspection we found the bearing casing failed and was exposing the internals.

Service manual suggests removing the driveshaft through the bellhousing. However, I was willing to risk taking it out the differential side before doing an engine-out for the bearing. Luckily that's an option, so the service isn't that bad. A dust shield will have to be modified if you remove the driveshaft out the back of the car.

While it does not seem to be a common issue, it seems to be one of those components that will begin to wear with age and I highly suggest these bearings to be replaced during clutch/engine out service.

When the bearing was pulled from the car it disintegrated

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the bearings for the driveshaft. You don't want a driveshaft bearing completely failing, it's a good idea to replace it sooner than later. I had one fail in my car, the tell on mine was metallic dust on the oil pan, upon further inspection we found the bearing casing failed and was exposing the internals.

Service manual suggests removing the driveshaft through the bellhousing. However, I was willing to risk taking it out the differential side before doing an engine-out for the bearing. Luckily that's an option, so the service isn't that bad. A dust shield will have to be modified if you remove the driveshaft out the back of the car.

While it does not seem to be a common issue, it seems to be one of those components that will begin to wear with age and I highly suggest these bearings to be replaced during clutch/engine out service.
This is fantastic detail, thank you. Interesting to know it's not common - would explain why I couldn't find a single thread related to this.

I'm currently at 12k miles so it may be more of an issue with age rather than overall use. I'm also at approximately 30% clutch life so an engine out is very much on the horizon. Luckily, no other symptoms at this point but I also don't push the car too much.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thank you for the video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts