Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're a bit careless, and tend to slide into the car by rubbing up against the side support cushions, don't do it. Over time, the leather will start fraying in small spots and create little holes.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Henry, how do you clean/look after your leather? I haven't put anything on it yet other than a damp chamois. What do others do?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, it's called bolster wear and one of the first things judges look for at concours.

I've tried lots of stuff...use to me a contributing editor on a detail site. I did my own car prep on the FCar and won 8 concours trophys in 18 months.

I have every product you can think of...3m, Meguiars, Zymol, Zaino, Lexol, etc.

Depends on the condition of the interior. If its bad a treatment of Leatherique is great. 2 stage process and takes anywhere from 4 hours to several days to do it right (depends on how quickly step #1 can feed into the skins).

If it's an average condition I use a product made by Autoglym. Big wax company based in UK and approved by Rolls. Feeds and cleans in one step and leaves a "satin" not glossy finish.

If its in good shape I found a new trick used by the car collector I purchased my car from (this guy has wax specially blended for him). Mink Oil in paste form. In fact I just got done doing it about an hour ago. My car is a 92, looks brand new and has only had mink oil. It will feed the leather, then seal it to keep the oil from evaporating. It's pretty controversial by people who make other products...but I can't believe the condition of this car!

The other day I found a ground up restoration shop that has been on Speed Channel. They happen to be a few miles from me and I spent a few hours over there. Found out they use mink oil also... Lexol to clean and mink oil to seal. The only drawback is that it is more of a matt finish on black, rather than satin.

Had enough info - lol. I can't help it... I love making my car look good :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've been doing pretty much what you have, mhh.

frank, have you ever seen the leather inside of a G car? it's very soft (can't quite describe it) and unlike any other i've seen inside a car. i'm wondering if the kind of applications you use are appropriate for the kind of leather in the G.

h

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Getting experimental, I just found some Meguirs leather foam I had in the shed, and tried that on one seat. It looks OK, but it isn't that easy to apply evenly, smells a bit and is messy to use. I don't feel up to doing the whole interior. The car spends most of its life out of the sun, so I'll take my chances for now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own a gallardo and a murcielago currently (have a roadster on the way). I've had the murcielago for about 2 years now and the gallardo for 1. I simply do my best not to be careless in my cars, and I use maguire's products on them. My gallardo has 5 000 km and my murcielgo has 7 500, both the cars are spotless inside and out, not to mention the gallardo has a dual-tone beige and red interior. The answer is simply be careful around your car and use specialized products on it once in a while. I used to drive a diablo vt roadster before I got the murcielago, I noticed a big improvement in quality in the audi build cars, so you shouldn't have to much trouble with keeping it in good shape.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use some leather wipes to keep the creme inset interior on mine clean, its worked pretty well and the interior is still spotless. What i did notice very early on, was that dark blue jeans (you can tell I'm a stylish guy) left a blue residue on the leather. Scared the hell out of me the first time i saw it. But it did come off and i don't wear them again in that car.

To be honest though, depending on your own body weight and use of the car, the seats are going to show wear. Particularly the G seats which have little to no support. I've almost done 5k miles now and there is a noticeable difference between the driver and passenger seat. Especially around the edge of the seat, which I'm sure is caused by moving your legs on the peddles.

At the end of the day unless your in to concourse events, its a car......use it or keep it in the garage. I opted for using it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jamesketchell said:
At the end of the day unless your in to concourse events, its a car......use it or keep it in the garage. I opted for using it.
here, here!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Cut the buttons off the back of your jeans, and for crying out loud, take off that cheesy metal belt. That should help minimize wear. :evil:

Carbuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts