Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had a problem with my voltage going into redline, we replaced the ground wire and this is where the voltage is staying near. Can anyone advise if this seems too high still ? When I get on the car it gets close to 16. I’m being told this may be normal, to me it doesn’t seem. Thank you and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
As long as it stays out of the red I think you would be ok, if it gets too high it will overcharge your batter and it will boil over and smell and really create a mess. Have you taken it to an autopart store to run codes and check voltage? I am skeptical as to how accurate those gauges are.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Have your battery tested. Sometimes if it is not charging the system will raise the voltage to offset. Is it the original?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as it stays out of the red I think you would be ok, if it gets too high it will overcharge your batter and it will boil over and smell and really create a mess. Have you taken it to an autopart store to run codes and check voltage? I am skeptical as to how accurate those gauges are.
Hey thanks for the reply I actually bought a brand new battery from Lamborghini, I’m hoping it’s the guages too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have your battery tested. Sometimes if it is not charging the system will raise the voltage to offset. Is it the original?
Hey yeah I actually bought a brand new battery from Lamborghini, first guy I brought it too suggested it was the battery, didn’t seem to do anything. We replaced the ground and it now stays out of red

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hook up a different (Accessory)voltmeter to see what the charge voltage is. The Voltage regulator in your alternator might be failing.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Another question, does it vary with RPM? If it does I would suspect the regulator but I think all modern cars it is just part of the alternator. Usually if an alternator fails it just stops working, in that case you could watch the voltage go down. Like Lee says, ohmmeter should shed some more light on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question, does it vary with RPM? If it does I would suspect the regulator but I think all modern cars it is just part of the alternator. Usually if an alternator fails it just stops working, in that case you could watch the voltage go down. Like Lee says, ohmmeter should shed some more light on this.
Hey yeah it does, if I get on it she goes right to red line. When I left off it goes down to 15

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Then from my shadetree experience that's the regulator. It's funny when you had the battery changed they didn't check it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I did some digging on this and on R8's v10 you can replace the regulator without replacing the alternator, good thing the alternator is $1100 bucks. I am assuming they are the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did some digging on this and on R8's v10 you can replace the regulator without replacing the alternator, good thing the alternator is $1100 bucks. I am assuming they are the same.
Ok awesome, I really appreciate the help honestly. I’m bringing it to an Actual Lamborghini tech in NY this up coming week

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The regulator is built into the alternator but can normally be replaced by any alternator shop. (Probably $!00). I would still connect a voltmeter to the battery neg and alternator output to see if it is a charge problem or a gauge problem. Dont drive it with a large overvoltage situation. It could damage other things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The regulator is built into the alternator but can normally be replaced by any alternator shop. (Probably $!00). I would still connect a voltmeter to the battery neg and alternator output to see if it is a charge problem or a gauge problem. Dont drive it with a large overvoltage situation. It could damage other things.
Thanks you ! Doing that this week

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Good luck. Keep us posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts