Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
350 GTV
The Lamborghini 350 GTV (V stands for veloce, witch means fast) was introduced to the public at the 1963 Turijn Motor show. It was styled by Franco Scaglione and built at Carrozzeria Sargiotto in Turijn. It was made of steel and aluminium panels over a chassis of round tube's. The engine wasn't mounted in the car (they put in a crate of tiles in it) but was standing next to it. The whole car was built very poor and some (most rivals) called it Ferruccio's Mistake. Despite all the critics, the car got a lot of attention from the press because of it's very modern chassis... but there was a lot of work to do to make it a real production car.
350 GT
The 350 GT is the first production car Lamborghini built, it is completely different from the 350 GTV show car, it has a chassis that was made of mostly square steel tubes. It was designed by Carrozzeria Touring and built as Superleggera, a patented construction of aluminium sheets over a steel tube frame. The original Bizzarrini V 12 engine was de tuned by Dallara, so it was more suitable for normal road use. The first models were fitted with three seats, two in front and one in the back, most 3-seater s were later converted to the normal two seat version. The car was introduced at the 1964 auto salon of Geneve, in this year 13 cars were built. There are at least three specials on the 350 model: Zagato build and showed a fastback model (called the 3500 GTZ) on the 1965 London Earl's Court Show and Touring built two convertible's.
400 GT
The 400 GT is basically the same car as the 350 GT (Some call it 350 P400), the main difference is the bigger engine. It's bore was up rated from 77 to 82 mm. and the compression was higher (10,2:1) The 400 GT has a different grille, air intakes on the bonnet and a leather dashboard in stead of the polished aluminium one of the 350 GT.
400 GT 2+2
The 400 GT 2+2 is a car as Ferruccio Lamborghini had in mind : fast, 4 seats and room for their luggage. It made it's first appearance on the 1966 Salon de Geneve. The 400 GT 2+2 is based on the 350/400 chassis, but the wheel bearings were different to create more space in the interior, it was not made of aluminium but of steel, so it was much heavier. It is the first car with a by Lamborghini produced gear-box and differential (on the 350/400 they used a ZF-box and Salisbury differential). There are two specials known : Touring built the show car Flying Star 2, the only Lamborghini station car, and Neri & Bonacini built a special for an American customer called the Monza 400.(It had a ferrari front-window)
LAMBORGHINI's EARLY CARS

350 GTV 350 GT 400 GT 400 GT2+2
Production no. 1 120 23 224
Production years '63 '64- '66 '66-'67 '66-'68
Driven wheels rear rear rear rear
Place engine front front front front
No. seats 2 2 (2+1) 2+2
Engine type V12 4 OHC V12 4 OHC V12 4 OHC V12 4 OHC
Engine size (cc) 3465 3465 3929 3929
Max. power (Hp/Rpm) 360 / 8000 270 / 6500 320 / 6500 360 / 8000
Max. torque (Nm/Rpm) 325 / 6000 324 / 4000 374 / 4500 325 / 6000

L

·
0 Posts
Couple of corrections/addition...fwiw

>>The 400 GT is basically the same car as the 350 GT (Some call it 350 P400), the main difference is the bigger engine. It's bore was up rated from 77 to 82 mm. and the compression was higher (10,2:1) The 400 GT has a different grille, air intakes on the bonnet and a leather dashboard in stead of the polished aluminium one of the 350 GT. <<

There are too many variables on the 400GTs to even begin to pin them down. But basically, the 400GTs were the first lambo to have lambo's own tranny and rear end (and, of course, the 400 motor). The 350 had a salisbury rear and ZF tranny. The 400GT was pretty much made up of parts left over from the 350 run combined with parts for the new 400GT (2+2) run. Some 350s had air intakes on the bonnet, and I'm not sure what is meant by "polished aluminum" dashboard of the 350, it was leather or vinyl...I think.

P400 is the Miura, as P stands for posteriore or rear (if my spelling is right). Never heard of 350 P400, but then there are lots of things I've never heard of. :confused:

>>400 GT 2+2
The 400 GT 2+2 is a car as Ferruccio Lamborghini had in mind : fast, 4 seats and room for their luggage. It made it's first appearance on the 1966 Salon de Geneve. The 400 GT 2+2 is based on the 350/400 chassis, but the wheel bearings were different to create more space in the interior, it was not made of aluminium but of steel, so it was much heavier. It is the first car with a by Lamborghini produced gear-box and differential (on the 350/400 they used a ZF-box and Salisbury differential). <<

The 400GT 2+2 (which I own) was basically a marketing ploy to sell more cars since everybody wanted to show their wives what a smart thing it would be to buy one. :) The rear seats are not really useful for adults, tho maybe for kids. Same luggage space as 350/400 as far as I know. Rear wheel bearings are probably the same too. The change they made was to take the rear end "leading arms" and make them "trailing arms." (ok, actually links, or whatever, but that was the main change they made to make room for the rear seats.)

And as I mentioned for the 400GT, the 400GT and 400GT 2+2 have the exact same drive train, all by lamborghini.

One more thing -- most of these cars have variances from each other. Again, they were pretty much putting together whatever they had on the shelves, combined with what the owner wanted.

Hope I haven't made too many mistakes! ;)

Fred

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fred, do you think you could do the site a favour and C&P the article, proof read and correct the mistakes so we can repost the corrected version? I quickly copied all these spec articles out of an old magazine. I thought it would be handy to have in the buyers guide for each model for shoppers and everyone else to have a short reference on what each model is about. Especially the older stuff.

Regards, JRV

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice to know about the specs in detail,as you know everyone in this age interested in vehicles so to know proper about the specs of car is really an awesome talk.We get extra knowledge as well a community develop by these facts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts