Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got through watching this stupid auction on SPEED. Why don't they rename this idiotic thing "The Hot Rod Auction"???

What a bunch of crap... I can't believe people are dropping $200,000.00, $300,000.00, $400,000.00 and more for these rediculous things with no pedigree whatsoever.

I finally had enought when a 1989 Countach 25th Anniversary came across and good 'ole Keith Martin and crew sat there and trashed it with such glowing comments as:

1. Flying doorstop
2. Ugly wings, fin's and fender flares
3. Then they had to trash Rick Cole who back in '89 said these cars would be worth $250K someday.
4. They couldn't even say who the designer was... One said Gandini, another said Bertone.
5. And Alan came up with the coup d' gras... there were 2 attractive ladies driving the car up, and as they were leaving, they were revving the engine like every other person does when they go off the stand. Alan says "The ladies were revving the nuts off the car, trying to get it to bring more money".

And the crap just went on and on and on. What surprises me so much, is to hear a person like Alan DeCadenay speaking so highly about these silly hot-rods, while trashing the european cars.

Am I missing something here???? Why are these things bringing so much money???? Heck, I rather pay $250K for a Countach, then some 1 off vision from a California custom builder.

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The Countach is the most hideous Lambo ever built, that is true. Every one should have a date with the car crusher.

But most of the old American muscle is even uglier. Q. So who pays the high prices for these ugly cars? A. People who can afford them.....

Each to his own.

Carbuff

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The Answer is simple. Lamborghinis being very low production car are usually cared for right from the start. A 1968 Camaro, very high production, were usually beat on and modified to no end. Therefore to get one with low miles and no modifications is going to bring a lot of $$$. As for the custom built ones. It all depends on the quality most are hand built and the detail is second to none. I would never say that any car bringing $200,000 - $400,000 is a piece of crap, but you have the right to your opinion. There are cars to appeal to everyones taste. To each their own. JMO

·
Registered
584 Posts
I enjoyed it. The market is what the market is...
As somone who enjoys anything with wheels on it, I appreciate the work that goes into many of these "one off" builds. The attention to detail on restorations was off the hook....speaking of off the hook... the olds for 3M was over the top.

Alain (I think that's how he speels it) needs to remain neutral. He use to drive for Ferrari. Last year he bashed the Countach, but then said he loves the Gallardo.

My first car was a Chevelle SS 396, then a flurry of PCars, FCar, now Lambo.

Look forward to going the the show in April when it comes to Palm Beach.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The B/J auction is designed for one thing and one thing only. Bring the highest prices for the sellers and, therfore, Barrett-Jackson. I agree that the prices being paid for some of those cars are way too strong. You can see how the "floor workers" do their best to get the bidders excited and encourage additional bids. I know that is part of the process. However, I would, if I were a bidder, resent the female who works the floor and puts her hand on the bidder's shoulder or back, sometimes rubbing their back to induce them to bid higher. Don,t get me wrong here, its not that she is a women that I object to but her touching of the bidders. Its so obvious what she is doing. She should not be allowed to touch the bidders. If I were interested in obtaining a classic or custom car I would never become a bidder at a B/J auction. The prices are way to high and it would be too easy to get caught up in it. However, if you want to sell your car and it is a fine example then you may benefit from their auctions.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
carbuff said:
The Countach is the most hideous Lambo ever built, that is true. Every one should have a date with the car crusher.

But most of the old American muscle is even uglier. Q. So who pays the high prices for these ugly cars? A. People who can afford them.....

Each to his own.

Carbuff
Your NUTS!

·
Registered
584 Posts
WINGS is on the money, if you pardon the pun - do the math.

4500 bidders w/$350 reg fee = $1.5M in revenue to BJ
16% on yesterdays sales = $3.2M to BJ

$4.7M for one day's work ain't to shabby...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
carbuff said:

Each to his own.

Carbuff
You are going to have a date with a crusher if you ever say that within ear shot of me!
:mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with Tony Lambo (and not just because he now owns my previous Countach). Who is this bozo that would say such a ridiculous thing? Jealousy will get him nowhere. He should be banned... from the planet.

LOUD V12

·
Registered
104 Posts
fl_355 said:
WINGS is on the money, if you pardon the pun - do the math.

4500 bidders w/$350 reg fee = $1.5M in revenue to BJ
16% on yesterdays sales = $3.2M to BJ

$4.7M for one day's work ain't to shabby...
You forgot about the gate $$$ @ $50/ea thats ALOT more $$$. I was there on Saturday there were alot of people most of whom were there just to look.

It was fun, I would go again but wouldnt buy anything. Most of the cars were just OK, the body work was so so and I saw only one great paint job, however I didnt have the credentials to go into one area that had about 50 cars that were the top end pieces. Most looked like garage gear head creatations or restorations.

I like Monteray alot more. Two different crowds thats for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The last time I saw that many Camaros and Chargers, I was lost in a sea of double-wides! :D Seriously, I was shocked at the prices these things were commanding, even considering taste to be an individual choice. I wonder, what is the value of these cars beyond the speculation that some dork in the future will pay even more for them? They're pristine and have powerful motors, but they're also generic as hell and not fun in a short-radius turn. Oh, well, it's other folks' money, but I wonder how many of the buyers are suffering from remorse today -- not because they don't like their "new" cars, but for having been cajoled by the auction crew into bidding a few more times than they originally intended. I also wonder how many of these cars will ever see the open road, which brings me back to the point: they're alright as an investment, I guess, but where's the fun in owning them? I'd take a Lambo any day, regardless of future value.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have to agree the comments that they made were very poor. If you are going to host or be a commentator for such an event you should be and need to be an overall enthusist. People will always have different oppinions and that is fine, but if you don't have anything positive to say you are better of saying very little if nothing at all. I consider myself a car enthusist I have been since a little boy and have been actively collecting cars since high school some 23 years ago. I still own my first car a 1971 Cuda, 383 4 speed #'s matching, bought it for $3,200.00 in perfect condition would I sell it for market value aprox $35-40K Hell No would I buy it for $35-40k HELL NO! I had always dreamed about owning certain cars; Superbirds, GTO's, 442's, Shelbys, Ect... Every manufacturer offered something that caught my eye, I have a plenty of friends that collect cars one in particular has 4 Superbirds making up part of his collection. He had started buying them in the mid to late 70's when they were out of fasion, people called him nuts, back then the general public hated wing cars. How times change, the collectors market always changes unfortunately many people don't see it happening and by the time they realize the trend it cycles they have already purchased something whether it be; stocks, paintings, cars or some other hot item at a premium price and they are left holding the bag. I could have realized my dream of owning a Superbird two years ago but at a price of 55-75k+, I just figured it would be best to realize what I considered an un-obtainable goal a Countach. Why do I say un-obtainable, because when they were in fasion they were six figure cars and in the 80's six figures bought you not one but a few homes. We'll I am glad that they became out of favor because I would not have been able to afford one, I often think about buying another one so when the market turns again and the Lemmings all decide that the Countach is the hot ticket again I can sell the second one for my Ultimate House. :) but until then I will just stay in my mediocre home with the ultimate garage attached to it housing a; 1970 Chevelle, 1970 Road Runner, 1971 Cuda and the pinacle of cars IMO the Countach 1984. Sorry to go on I just a little passionate on the subject.
PS: and if I am right I'll buy a Superbird later on, when the Lemmings think they look like door stops. :evil:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The C/T is for men.
American made mass produced, water based enameled, rattling bodied junk designed for girls.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am sure that a lot of the reason why old American muscle cars are going for such insane prices is because back when they came out, the people buying them now were just kids and these were dream cars. Most of these people back then probably didnt even know what a Countach was/is or any other exotic for that matter (probably save Ferrari...).

Obviously then this brings in nostalgia as well, remembering the good old days of American car building and other somesuch things as that. As well as the pride of owning an American classic, etc.

On top of that, these people have now made at least a small fortune and don't mind spending a little bit to realize their dreams.

Just throwing that out there, for whatever it is worth.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Countach rules! I took mine out today, and I can tell you that there is nothing like one on the planet. The attention it gets, must be what its like to be famous. It's total nuts. Barrett-jackson really is the revenge of the trailer trash. I can say this, even thought I happen to have 2 muscle cars, a 64 GTO convertible & a 69 Superbee. I love the old cars, but these people are crazy paying these prices. If you look at the buyers on BJ, you will find most in there 50's or older. These are cars that they grew up with. My Dad never had a poster of a Countach on his wall, but he did have a 56 Corvette ,265 with a 3 speed and a few other cool cars. The time will come soon on the Countach, and if you really want one you had better buy one now. It might really end up being 250k. The early ones already are. The Miura is white hot. How much did the 89 Countach sell for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Barrett-Jackson

How many Chevelle SS's are there? 70K,80K for these cars. That would mean that in 35 years a 2006 Murcie would go for 9 to 11 million dollars. I think this auction has been pretty much responisble for the inflated prices on these cars. People get carried away with the "event" and find themselves "caught up" in the hysteria and forking over way more than they should for this stuff. This is driving the prices through the roof. A lot of the stuff being sold has terrible fit and finish and the memory of my 67 Camaro RS might be a whole lot better than the reality of what it was. I can't imagine paying 30 to 40 times the value of that car to have it today. I know quite a few people who are buying these cars for way less, becuase they are purchasing them "away" from these auctions.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts