Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby Lambo Targets Aston :)

Aston Martin seems like they have become everyone’s target. Ferrari is aiming their sights with a new lower-price offering and it sounds like Lamborghini is gunning for them too. The new car would focus more on corner-carver than straightaway burner. Auto Express says a shortened version of the Gallardo Concept S might be the basis for the car. Lambo is also considering a LM002 SUV successor to appear around the same time, 2008.

The 'next big thing' at Lamborghini has the company thinking small! Auto Express can exclusively reveal a radical new roadster is on the wishlist at the firm's Italian HQ, and the car has been endorsed by design director Luc Donckerwolke.

Bosses have already hinted at the rebirth of the Eighties' Lambo LM002 with a new SUV. But now they've said they could follow that with a front-engined 2+2 GT to rival the Aston Martin DB9. A small two-seater is viewed as the perfect addition to the family - especially as Ferrari has ruled out a car to fit beneath the F430.

Donckerwolke has revealed he wants to convince the top brass at parent firm Audi of the merits of the hot roadster. The styling boss said: "What we are doing (with the Gallardo and Murciélago product variations) is extremely satisfying for me, but I'm thinking of a Lamborghini with the drive of a Lotus Elise or Caterham Seven. Even if it sacrificed a little time on long straights, on tight sections it would be unbeatable."

The Gallardo Concept S might play a key role in the plan, as a shortened version of its chassis could form the basis for the newcomer. But he warned it was too early to discuss that, or the new car's engine. Power would come from a V6 or V8, both of which could be pumped up to well over 300bhp. The bodywork would likely be carbon fibre, allowing major upgrades to be done quickly. Prices would start somewhere over £50,000 with a debut expected around 2008.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't like the fact of an even smaller/cheaper Lamborghini. Hopefully they will make it MOSTLY of CF (which isn't that expensive anymore). And it should be very high quality CF, especially for the interior like Zonda, which should be more darring and extreme. That would make the car exotic and in his own league, it wouldn't just blend in, like AMV8 did with his absence of design quality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure if I like the idea of an entire fleet of Lamborghinis. That way, everyone and their moms could buy one and exclusivity gets thrown out of the window. But that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Despite this report, it seems unlikely that the Management would sanction such a venture. The whole point of Audi acquiring Lamborghini was for the premium value it's products can command, and to give the whole Group a halo brand.
To produce a cheap Lambo would seriously undermine the Gallardo and Murcielago (like the Boxster has done for Porche).
It's much more likely that an Audi branded vehicle would be more viable, possibly with some Lamborghini involvement to add some glamour, but an Audi none the less.
I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts