Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the Aventador market and I'm trying to decide if purchasing an Aventador SV would help insulate against depreciation. I've seen higher mileage Aventadors listed for as low as $205,000, and it looks like a SV is roughly an extra $100,000 premium.

I also found this interesting depreciation chart:

The Aventador's replacement is rumored to be released soon. Based on this:

1. Should I expect to see a glut of Aventadors on the market when the Aventador replacement is officially announced? If so, am I likely to see Aventador prices drop even more?

2. Is the Aventador SV special enough that it will become more collectable than a standard Aventador, therefore more likely to hold its value or even appreciate in the next 3-4 years?

3. Do you think standard Aventador prices will appreciate in the next 3-4 years?

I understand the Ferrari market fairly well. but looking for some opinions on the Aventador.

·
Registered
2021 Lamborghini SVJ Roadster, 2020 Ranger Rover Velar SV, 2019 Audi RS 5
60 Posts
I think the Aventador S value (especially roadster) may hold up well as units produced may ultimately be much less than anticipated given focus now on producing the SVJ’s.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
73 Posts
The last estimate I heard for the Aventador's replacement is 2023 or 2024. It had been 2022 but most expect this pushed out due to COVID. Do you really want to wait 3 - 4 years to get an Aventador? There will likely be a fair amount of AV owners that update when the new model is finally released, so you should expect to see a bit of a glut when that happens. Alternatively, if owners don't like the direction of the replacement model due to the addition of a hybrid system, turbos, etc., then many may decide to hang onto the AV with the expectation of future appreciation. No one knows the future here, so why not get what you want now?

The SV is more special/limited than the SVJ, though the SVJ is the better car. What we can't predict, is how many other special AV models will come out in the next few years as Lamborghini continues to milk the AV platform for everything it can. The more special models released, the less special "special" models like the SV and SVJare. And while the SV looks really cool, it's missing some massive tech upgrades like rear wheel steering, Ego mode, CarPlay, etc. Those may not matter to you, but future buyers/collectors may care. Again, no one knows. By my last check, there was the 50th anniversary special edition, the Miura special edition, the SV, the SVJ, the Veneno, the Sian, and there's probably a few more I haven't heard of yet.

As far what prices will do in the next 3 - 4 years, that depends on far more than what Lamborghini does with the AV. The stock markets, the economy, tax law changes (for the US), etc. I would not buy an AV expecting to make money. I can appreciate not wanting to lose money either, so buying a used model with a fair amount of miles already should help with the depreciation. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last estimate I heard for the Aventador's replacement is 2023 or 2024. It had been 2022 but most expect this pushed out due to COVID. Do you really want to wait 3 - 4 years to get an Aventador? There will likely be a fair amount of AV owners that update when the new model is finally released, so you should expect to see a bit of a glut when that happens. Alternatively, if owners don't like the direction of the replacement model due to the addition of a hybrid system, turbos, etc., then many may decide to hang onto the AV with the expectation of future appreciation. No one knows the future here, so why not get what you want now?

The SV is more special/limited than the SVJ, though the SVJ is the better car. What we can't predict, is how many other special AV models will come out in the next few years as Lamborghini continues to milk the AV platform for everything it can. The more special models released, the less special "special" models like the SV and SVJare. And while the SV looks really cool, it's missing some massive tech upgrades like rear wheel steering, Ego mode, CarPlay, etc. Those may not matter to you, but future buyers/collectors may care. Again, no one knows. By my last check, there was the 50th anniversary special edition, the Miura special edition, the SV, the SVJ, the Veneno, the Sian, and there's probably a few more I haven't heard of yet.

As far what prices will do in the next 3 - 4 years, that depends on far more than what Lamborghini does with the AV. The stock markets, the economy, tax law changes (for the US), etc. I would not buy an AV expecting to make money. I can appreciate not wanting to lose money either, so buying a used model with a fair amount of miles already should help with the depreciation. Good luck with your search.

According to Maurizio Reggiani at Lamborghini, the Aventador replacement will be a V12 hybrid. I haven't seen anything official from Lamborghini on the replacement year, but both these recent articles claim the next-generation Aventador is expected in 2021. I don't know if the timeline is accurate.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
73 Posts
Some articles say this year, some say 2023/24. Until it actually gets released we're all just guessing. I think this year is optimistic, more likely they'll release it next year, begin taking orders, and then produce it in 2023. Even if they do roll it out this year, the soonest production and delivery would likely begin would be late 2022. So 1.5 - 3 years depending on how quickly Lambo gets their act together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some articles say this year, some say 2023/24. Until it actually gets released we're all just guessing. I think this year is optimistic, more likely they'll release it next year, begin taking orders, and then produce it in 2023. Even if they do roll it out this year, the soonest production and delivery would likely begin would be late 2022. So 1.5 - 3 years depending on how quickly Lambo gets their act together.

Between Lamborghini doing a better job than Ferrari marketing to a younger demographic who are more likely to want the latest model, and having good lease options, I think more Aventadors will be dumped on the market after an official Aventador replacement is announced. That will likely be when Aventador prices bottom out.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
73 Posts
Could be, especially for the base or S Aventador. But the SV is more collectible, so we may see more owners holding onto it and just adding the new model on top of it. I read somewhere that most Aventador owners have at least 5 cars. Keep an eye on inventory in the meantime, you may find someone forced to fire sale their SV.

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,218 Posts
My dealer is expecting a lot of A's to hit the market this summer because of the replacement. Up here in Canada the AV S coupe is now selling for around the same as a 2015 AV roadster. That's how much the S is depreciating.

In regards to the SV, it'll also continue to trend down as more SVs come on the market but I think it's nearing the bottom especially clean, low mileage cars. If I were to put my money on a SV it would be a SV roadster which will hold it's value better long term.

No doubt the SV will appreciate at some point, when that might happen is anyone's guess. That said, I feel he SV is the best looking modern Lamborghini. There's no bad angle on the SV so it'll age well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you see SV cars for $305k???

If you're referring to my first post, it's really two separate comments, and doesn't mean there's lots of SVs listed for $305k,

1. I've seen higher mileage Aventadors listed for as low as $205,000
2. It looks like a SV is roughly an extra $100,000 premium.

With this said, I wouldn't be surprised to see SVs close to the 300k range in the next 1-2 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
I agree with you there, I just thought you may have seen some around that price now!

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Once roadsters get to around $350 I will add one for sure. Maybe I’ll pay a bit more. Let’s see what that happens.

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,218 Posts
The cheapest SV coupe I've seen listed was $329k but it had 22,000 miles. I can't see roadsters going down to $350k.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just purchased an S, you cannot beat that 4 wheel steering and other improvements learned from the first SV models.

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
95 Posts
But the looks of the SV are the best of all the AV models...I considered every model but kept coming back to the SV. Plus add the exclusivity and your have the best AV model IMHO.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
73 Posts
But the looks of the SV are the best of all the AV models...I considered every model but kept coming back to the SV. Plus add the exclusivity and your have the best AV model IMHO.
The SV does look incredible, I may do a conversion like Kratos at some point, get the best of both worlds. Still not an actual SV, but better in many ways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
right now i see 12 SV's for sale on Autotrader, starting at roughly usd 400K. Hard to see that the value will drop another 100K in a year or so with so few cars out there? Guess if the SVJ value will drop so it gets more tempting to upgrade from an SV more cars could hit the market and affect the value, but i doubt it. Honestly, so far I think the SV is the most beautiful Aventador edition, and given its production number dont see the value drop much more, if any. I.e, if i want to buy a SV, and its only a handful of cars out there, you cant really haggle much....most people will have several preferences also, in particular on colors....Even for regular Aventadors, when you start filtering on your preferences, colors and carbon fibre options, milage, etc, its really not that many cars...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts