Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there anythings we shouldnt do to our cars as far as keeping them healthy and not having things break? Ive heard sometimes revving in neutral the car can catch fire or can create some damages in the engine, not sure how true this is.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
167 Posts
My mechanic made the following recommendations:

1. Don't wear jeans or other pants with metal rivets/buttons as these can damage the leather seats.
2. Keep mousetraps in your garage as rodents like to make a home out of the engine.
3. Keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach in the car, preferably mounted behind the seats if you have room. He's seen way too many engine fires.
4. If you live somewhere humid and your garage is not climate controlled, run a dehumidifier in the garage.
5. Shift into neutral at stop lights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Definetely not on 5.
Straight from the factory, when I had the same question - keeping it in 1st at stop lights lets the ecu process your driving style. When in neutral, the learning function gets switched off.

·
Premium Member
SVJ Yellow, SVJ Blue, SVJ Gray, SVJ Roadster White, Gray SV, Red SV, Green Perf, Orange Gallardo
60 Posts
I always put my Aventadors in neutral at a light. If I’m at a light for long all my Aventadors and even the centenario drop itself in neutral at a long lights by itself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats the thought process of shifting the ca into neutral? And keep a fire extinguisher? Is this car really that prone to catching on fire?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I’ve been told by the experts on this site, for a murcielago put the car into neutral when at a stop for longer than a 3-5 seconds. Not too sure that would apply to an Aventador

·
Premium Member
SVJ Yellow, SVJ Blue, SVJ Gray, SVJ Roadster White, Gray SV, Red SV, Green Perf, Orange Gallardo
60 Posts
It prolongs the clutch life of the car. Fires aren’t very common on aventador or else it would be standard and not a 900 dollar option.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh yeah, this.

I like to park A$$ in because I can’t see where the nose is and the rear camera is cash money when parking.

Remember to love your AV as it was assembled with love by spicy Italians!!
Yea good point - I wish it had a front camera - I am always concerned how close the low front bumper is to hitting something

·
Registered
SVJ Roadster, Ferrari 16M, 83 Ferrari 308 GTB QV, Ferrari Roma
47 Posts
Always accelerate when you change lanes. People tend to sit right in your blind spot filming your car with their iPhones!

·
Registered
536 Posts
1. Don't do Mc Donalds drive thru - car too wide.
2. Understand that you are now a rock star and even going to the gas station is an event. If you are an introvert you bought the wrong car!
3 My AV has been bullet proof but I do put it in neutral when I stop - a habit I got from my '04 Gallardo
4. Just drive it and enjoy it - you are one of the <1% in the World who can.

·
Registered
975 Posts
As the owner of my Aventador since 2012 i can say that the car is pretty reliable and durable. I have never had any serious issues with the engine, transmission etc.
Just want only to mention "be careful with launch mode". I did not do that. But the car is not the Iron Man.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Whats the thought process of shifting the ca into neutral?
Same as for all manual and robotised clutches - keeping the clutch disengaged puts additional stress and hence wear on the clutch release bearing and the crankshaft thrust bearing. Not sure what the gearbox strategy is going to learn about your driving style while stationary...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Whats the thought process of shifting the ca into neutral? And keep a fire extinguisher? Is this car really that prone to catching on fire?
Agree with the above comment about neutral. The AV is functionally an automated manual, and you wouldn't want to keep it in gear with the car holding its clutch in while stopped just like shouldn't do so yourself in a true manual.

As for the fire extinguisher, I consider it a "better to have than not need", even if you find it overboard, in the same way that some cars come equipped with a gas funnel or emergency shift selector on most automatics. As long as you can fit it in the car, I don't see a hindrance to keeping it in. It might even help someone else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
1. Don't do Mc Donalds drive thru - car too wide.
2. Understand that you are now a rock star and even going to the gas station is an event. If you are an introvert you bought the wrong car!
3 My AV has been bullet proof but I do put it in neutral when I stop - a habit I got from my '04 Gallardo
4. Just drive it and enjoy it - you are one of the <1% in the World who can.

Don't do McDonald's PERIOD.... :p :ROFLMAO: lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts