Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Liberty Walk Aventador Roadster, LP Gallardo Perf (Sold), 04 Gated Gallardo (Sold)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just purchased a 2014 Aventador Roadster and I have a question about the clutch life.

The seller is very credible and he showed me a clutch snap test showing 71.5% life @ 11,964 miles back in March of 2021.

In the PPI I had done, the snap test shows only 37% life @ 12,700 miles.

I know you have to drive these single-clutch Lamborghinis in a certain manner to avoid rapid clutch wear, but that kind of wear in just 750 miles is insane to me. I was also told that under 40%, the clutch may start to slip a bit.

Any thoughts on how this rapid wear could have happened? Should I go ahead with a clutch job now or hold off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might be looking at the wear number backwards (MM of wear). 37% wear would = 63% clutch life remaining.

I would guess that is more likely the case.

The Aventador is not known to wear quickly. My buddy Houston (Royalty Exotics) had an Aventador go 70,000+ miles on original clutch before it finally needed to be changed.

·
Registered
Liberty Walk Aventador Roadster, LP Gallardo Perf (Sold), 04 Gated Gallardo (Sold)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I thought as well, I called the shop to confirm and they said they are 100% positive that it is showing 37% left, not 37% worn. On the first report, it says "2mm (28.5% WORN)", does that add up?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Somebody drove his heart or rent hard and reversed because I have 93% left with 14,000 miles on the odometer. If you ran the clutch that hard of that. Time what’s going on with the rest of the drive train just something to think about. Add to that it’s a 2014 which had a few issues. you might wanna look a little further and harder If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What diagnostic tool the shop used for the snap?
Not sure, they said they have a Lamborghini Computer which was supposedly $25,000. The shop is Fluid Motorunion and they have a great reputation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somebody drove his heart or rent hard and reversed because I have 93% left with 14,000 miles on the odometer. If you ran the clutch that hard of that. Time what’s going on with the rest of the drive train just something to think about. Add to that it’s a 2014 which had a few issues. you might wanna look a little further and harder If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
I don't think the rapid clutch wear would also translate to other components because it was likely due to a lot of low-speed driving and reversing but honestly I don't know. I did absolutely steal the car in terms of price so if it came down to other components going bad I wouldn't be too upset.

Do you have any tips on how to drive to avoid clutch wear?

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
You might be looking at the wear number backwards (MM of wear). 37% wear would = 63% clutch life remaining.

I would guess that is more likely the case.

The Aventador is not known to wear quickly. My buddy Houston (Royalty Exotics) had an Aventador go 70,000+ miles on original clutch before it finally needed to be changed.
Sorry OT but same Lambo Jesus on Effspots channel?

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Vendor
1,830 Posts
Hello all!

I just purchased a 2014 Aventador Roadster and I have a question about the clutch life.

The seller is very credible and he showed me a clutch snap test showing 71.5% life @ 11,964 miles back in March of 2021.

In the PPI I had done, the snap test shows only 37% life @ 12,700 miles.

I know you have to drive these single-clutch Lamborghinis in a certain manner to avoid rapid clutch wear, but that kind of wear in just 750 miles is insane to me. I was also told that under 40%, the clutch may start to slip a bit.

Any thoughts on how this rapid wear could have happened? Should I go ahead with a clutch job now or hold off?

Thanks!
One of the possibilities is that he did a few reverse uphill. With E-gear, you can kill the clutch with even one reverse uphill. We had a customer who went to a family party in Hollywood Hills on a weekend. He had to do a few reverse uphill in order to park his car. He had about 80-90% clutch left before the party. After the party, he had only 30-40% clutch left. He lost about 50% of his clutch in just one weekend.

I don't know if this happened to him but it's a possibility. If you have 40% left and it's not slipping, then you're ok, If it's slipping, then you might have glazed it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My old Aventador SV has over 75,000km and is still on its first clutch

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My old Aventador SV has over 75,000km and is still on its first clutch
That's quite the collection you have! I think it's just a matter of knowing how to drive. If you know what you are doing and don't lend your A to others, I am sure you can get many tens of thousands of miles out of the clutch. If not, you could end up changing the clutch every 15k. That is what I have gathered in the last few weeks at least.

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that launch control is a very very stressful act for this transmission to go through. The synchronization of the input shaft to the crankshaft in speed when letting the clutch drop is very abrasive to the friction-lined side of the assembly due to the latent mass of the vehicle not in motion and the radical difference in RPM. This can cause great variations in data as to the reliable life expectancy of the transmission because some people simply never use this feature, leading to tremendous longevity. Some people are constantly using this feature, leading to shorter lifespans. Another thing to remember is that the clutch may still “grab” without slippage when presenting favorable snap test results, but something equally important is synchronization time. Some of these vehicles come in with lethargic acceleration and almost half a second missing from the zero to 60 because the clutch has slowed down, but is not yet slipping. There’s no black and white answer for aventador clutch longevity unfortunately, but the less time you spend launching, the happier the clutch will stay!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Add to that it’s a 2014 which had a few issues.
This is news to me. 14+ had the least amount of "internet dribble" if you will.

12's and 13's had some misgivings, but still, overall the A has been a solid, reliable performer.

Tips on how to make your clutch last:

1. Drive in Corsa (quickest shifts, hence, less time slipping)

2. Don't reverse unless you have to. Clearly, hard to do, but reversing uphill has already been touched upon.

3. In traffic, make room in front so you can give a concerted throttle push and slip the least

4. Don't go nutz with the launch mode

5. Go to N when cruising to a stop. Frankly, I love downshifting, it sounds glorious!!! But I try to cruise to a stop when appropriate.

I'm sure more people will chime in, but the board has a million "how to drive and E-gear" threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts