Lamborghini Talk banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
177 Posts
After dealing with numerous hurricanes for the 20+ years I lived in a Houston, I insisted on a 20kW generator at our home in Fort Worth. It really provides a sense of security in these situations, and we have had to use it a few times. It’s powered by natural gas, so we don’t have to keep gasoline around. Diesel isn’t reliable at these temperatures either... it’s just a few more days Albert, you can do it!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
After dealing with numerous hurricanes for the 20+ years I lived in a Houston, I insisted on a 20kW generator at our home in Fort Worth. It really provides a sense of security in these situations, and we have had to use it a few times. It’s powered by natural gas, so we don’t have to keep gasoline around. Diesel isn’t reliable at these temperatures either... it’s just a few more days Albert, you can do it!
Thanks Craig, natural gas powered sounds like a reasonable way to go. :unsure: What is the saying, when the going gets tough, the tough, stay tough.;)

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Texans are now hit with water outage. This creates potentially two critical issues: lack of the water flow can encourage pipes to freeze, and water can be contaminated, and in most locations, needs to be boiled.
It probably would be prudent to place the water heater on vacation mode or pilot just in case the water tank is very low.
There are presently increased reporting of carbon monoxide poisoning as well. Serious issues in Texas at this time. I would stay tuned to your local news......assuming you have power. We in our area went dark for 32 hours and the cell phones on data mode worked poorly. Stay Safe the warmer weather is a few days away!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hope people in other states are starting to come back online with their energy and water needs. Water has been restored in our part of Texas but this highlights a vulnerability of this state and many other states have. We have weak and aging infrastructures and this anti-fossil fuel sentiment is making many states rush head long into the alternative energy sources creating some energy supply shortfalls.
Fellow Texas, as you know, 5 of the 15 members of ERCOT board don't even reside in Texas with the board chairman residing in Michigan and another board member residing in Canada. Let's just say I, and many of my fellow Texans are not happy.

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
111 Posts
Hope people in other states are starting to come back online with their energy and water needs. Water has been restored in our part of Texas but this highlights a vulnerability of this state and many other states have. We have weak and aging infrastructures and this anti-fossil fuel sentiment is making many states rush head long into the alternative energy sources creating some energy supply shortfalls.
Fellow Texas, as you know, 5 of the 15 members of ERCOT board don't even reside in Texas with the board chairman residing in Michigan and another board member residing in Canada. Let's just say I, and many of my fellow Texans are not happy.

Woke up to glorious running water this morning and took my first shower in 3 days.
Won't get too much into what @Lambo2018 has touched on, but ERCOT and Centerpoint must be held accountable. Will anything likely happen? Probably not. Status quo. Oh, but I'm sure my electricity bill will be astronomical this month:rolleyes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’m just curious. Why was everyone’s water supply halted? Normally, municipal water is supplied via pressure, not electricity. When my house looses electricity, I still have access to water. Did municipal water mains rupture?

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
111 Posts
I’m just curious. Why was everyone’s water supply halted? Normally, municipal water is supplied via pressure, not electricity. When my house looses electricity, I still have access to water. Did municipal water mains rupture?
Where I live in Houston, our water supply is independent of the rest of city. Ours is gravity fed as well and not dependent on electricity. Supposedly, the water main pressure was fine but the smaller pipes feeding streets and houses froze.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Water issue here in Central Texas was related to some degree with pipes bursting as well as freezing. The water pipes were not buried deep enough for this kind of sustained cold weather. I am looking to other states for a new home especially if the answers that we eventually get are sideways. My wife and I are retired and we are not tied to any one state.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Blaming ERCOT makes no sense, they don't own any of the power generators(wind mills, nuclear,gas,...). They just control where it goes. If they did not shut down power to certain areas the problem would have been much worse. And no I don't work for ERCOT, I just understand what their roll is. The failure of the power generators is something that they won't fix because ERCOT doesn't own them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
ERCOT had the opportunity to buy more power in anticipation of this event and especially in light of their failure in 2011 but choose not to. How can I put this diplomatically, they are idiots. If you support ERCOT then make sure the chairperson stays in Michigan. I for one think that's absurd.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The fact of the matter is, the entire utility infrastructure was not designed to take that sustained cold....why would it be? It 'never' happens. The cost of fixing the damage from this one event would pale in comparison to what the cost would have been to make the entire system capable of making it through this.
Yes, it sucks. Yes, the rest of the country feels for you, yes, any of us would help if we could, but not every tragedy means something was wrong.
Here in WI we get a couple of weeks of subzero weather every year. It works for us. Maybe a water main freeze here and there, but nothing big. Our pipes need to be buried a minimum of 6' underground. About 9-10 years ago we had 3 weeks of -25° weather and colder....THAT was much colder than normal. The watermain to my office was froze for a week. Our infrastructure is not designed to take that....but we didn't change anything. It was just out of the norm. The Canadians were laughing at us with their water mains buried 10' down.
This is a situation where you sound cold hearted if you speak the truth, but it doesn't change that it is the truth.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Water issue here in Central Texas was related to some degree with pipes bursting as well as freezing. The water pipes were not buried deep enough for this kind of sustained cold weather. I am looking to other states for a new home especially if the answers that we eventually get are sideways. My wife and I are retired and we are not tied to any one state.
Thanks for the reply. Up north all water lines need to be below the frost line. Typically 5-6 feet. I’d imagine the average frost line depth in Texas is a foot.

I guess all the doomsday folks that are off the grid are laughing at everyone.

oh well, property can be replaced, lives can’t. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well you stack up the cost of doing the right thing against the lives lost. My opinion we came up on the short end of the stick. If that is acceptable to those on this forum then I guess we agree to disagree.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
US national debt now pushing $30 Trillion. Not sure where to get the money to insure the Gulf coastline against any possible natural disaster, but I suppose we could all sell our lambos and pitch in that money.

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
894 Posts
The fact of the matter is, the entire utility infrastructure was not designed to take that sustained cold....why would it be? It 'never' happens. The cost of fixing the damage from this one event would pale in comparison to what the cost would have been to make the entire system capable of making it through this.
Yes, it sucks. Yes, the rest of the country feels for you, yes, any of us would help if we could, but not every tragedy means something was wrong.
Here in WI we get a couple of weeks of subzero weather every year. It works for us. Maybe a water main freeze here and there, but nothing big. Our pipes need to be buried a minimum of 6' underground. About 9-10 years ago we had 3 weeks of -25° weather and colder....THAT was much colder than normal. The watermain to my office was froze for a week. Our infrastructure is not designed to take that....but we didn't change anything. It was just out of the norm. The Canadians were laughing at us with their water mains buried 10' down.
This is a situation where you sound cold hearted if you speak the truth, but it doesn't change that it is the truth.
Finally a voice of reason. People love to point fingers and blame someone for their troubles. The truth is no one wants to spend money on an infrastructure that would only be needed once every 100 years. So at the end of the day what is going to happen, not much. Oh and ERCOT was buying energy, but the places they were buying from were stressed as well. There are two sources they can pull from.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
As I have said we agree to disagree. :giggle:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Governor Abbott Declares Power System Winterization, Related Funding As Emergency Items, Provides Update On Winter Weather Response

February 18, 2021 | Austin, Texas | Press Release

Governor Greg Abbott today provided an update on the state's response to winter weather and power outages. As part of his update, the Governor declared a new emergency item for this legislative session. The Governor is asking the Legislature to mandate the winterization of Texas' power system and for the Legislature to ensure the necessary funding for winterization.

I think the governor is going to hit a snag when it comes to the funding part.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,890 Posts
We have 20 degrees on Mauna Kea!

Reactions: AngelOfMurci

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
That reminds me of northern Spain in the summer, up in the Pyrenees. Exhilarating!
Spain is one of my favorite countries along with Japan and Thailand. Northern Spain is beautiful. I surfed fun waves in San Sebastian and ran with the bulls in Pamplona. Barcelona is my favorite.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts