Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
At least the snow has stopped, until Wednesday, but we are currently in a brown out and we get 96v instead of 107-115 so the heater doesn't work. Better than some, a lot of people have no power.

·
Registered
2020 Huracan EVO RWD
46 Posts
82 and sunny west coast of florida, drove the EVORWD to work today. Can't believe how much of the country is below 0 and frozen

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,883 Posts
I look so forward to driving my car on the weekend I would be really bummed if the weather took that away from me. I won't even drive mine is it's raining. I just can't do that to my jewel!

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
894 Posts
I look so forward to driving my car on the weekend I would be really bummed if the weather took that away from me. I won't even drive mine is it's raining. I just can't do that to my jewel!
My son gives me a hard time because I won't drive it in the rain. He doesn't wash it, I do. But, yes, it will be a while before I can drive my car again. It was -3F this morning and our power keeps going out. This sucks.

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
110 Posts
My son gives me a hard time because I won't drive it in the rain. He doesn't wash it, I do. But, yes, it will be a while before I can drive my car again. It was -3F this morning and our power keeps going out. This sucks.
Where are you located? Texas is getting it's ass beat with this cold weather. 1.4 million without power and it's below freezing. Now water supplies are freezing and I've had no running water since last night. As much as I love living here, TX is ill equipped to handle extremes of heat, cold, and flooding. Freakin' disaster.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Where are you located? Texas is getting it's ass beat with this cold weather. 1.4 million without power and it's below freezing. Now water supplies are freezing and I've had no running water since last night. As much as I love living here, TX is ill equipped to handle extremes of heat, cold, and flooding. Freakin' disaster.
I am south of DFW, about 30 miles. My son lives 10 miles from me and he has been without electricity for most of the last few days. He said it got down to 39f in his house. So far I still have water, but I am in a brown out electrically. Not enough power to generate heat but I got lights. Like you said Texas is not built for this kind of weather, but why would it? It only happens once very 100 years or so. I have friends that live within a couple of miles and they lost power briefly and everything works there. They asked my wife and I to come stay with them but I don't want to drive there. The roads are pretty bad and my driveway is steep and covered in snow and ice. I doubt I could get to the road.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just emerged from a 32 hour power outage man......Hallelujah!! Though don't know for how long the power will be up. Send warm thoughts to the lower 48........ :giggle:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Really feeling for you guys down south. We've been sub zero up here in WI for almost 2 weeks, but it's the norm here, we are all set-up to handle it. No way the 'regular' texan would be set up for this. Been quite the topic of discussion here in the office as well.
I really hope you all make it through OK without too much damage. Water pipes freezing is bad, no heat is bad. I venture to say there will be a run on back-up generators and tesla wall packs after all of this.
If there is anything any of us northerners can do, let us know, though I doubt there is.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
@REKIII that is correct here in Texas we are just not prepared for this type of weather. To offset any major problems through the past two nights I would get up every couple of hours to run the faucets to prevent any of the pipes from bursting. Funny though I did order a snow shovel several days ago just in case not thinking it was all that important but, my luck, it won't be here until after the snow is gone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
299 Posts
@REKIII that is correct here in Texas we are just not prepared for this type of weather. To offset any major problems through the past two nights I would get up every couple of hours to run the faucets to prevent any of the pipes from bursting. Funny though I did order a snow shovel several days ago just in case not thinking it was all that important but, my luck, it won't be here until after the snow is gone. :rolleyes:
Lambo,
Unless you live in the north, you probably don’t know this...

for faucets that are exposed to cold, such as those located against exterior walls or in garages, simply crack both the cold and hot taps, so there is a slow trick of water. Literally, it only takes a slow trickle of water drops to prevent pipes from freezing. It’s a physical phenomenon that moving water doesn’t freeze. Only when water is still will it freeze.
FYI, I have a vulnerable faucet that I have to slow drip through out winter to prevent it from freezing.

just got through -35F stint. Everyone chant together... GLOBAL WARMING MY ASS!!!!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lambo,
Unless you live in the north, you probably don’t know this...

for faucets that are exposed to cold, such as those located against exterior walls or in garages, simply crack both the cold and hot taps, so there is a slow trick of water. Literally, it only takes a slow trickle of water drops to prevent pipes from freezing. It’s a physical phenomenon that moving water doesn’t freeze. Only when water is still will it freeze.
FYI, I have a vulnerable faucet that I have to slow drip through out winter to prevent it from freezing.

just got through -35F stint. Everyone chant together... GLOBAL WARMING MY ASS!!!!
I am aware of that but I had to assure that all was well with the castle. Guarding the fort as it were.
As to global warming :rolleyes: .......agree, more like cyclical temperature variations which have occurred throughout the history of this planet and will likely continue unless we do something stupid like blow ourselves up......

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am aware of that but I had to assure that all was well with the castle. Guarding the fort as it were.
As to global warming :rolleyes: .......agree, more like cyclical temperature variations which have occurred throughout the history of this planet and will likely continue unless we do something stupid like blow ourselves up......
If you have friends or relatives that are going through the freeze and power outages make sure they don’t start cars up in their garages for warmth . Carbon monoxide poisoning often claims lives. Also, if heating goes out, don’t use ovens to generate warmth, it also claims lives.

as far as global warming...

the earth is scientifically in an intergalacial period. Ie between ice ages. In another 150 years, the Earth will be well into another ice age period. That’s the science of it. However, people will do what people do.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks @AngelOfMurci, all great tips especially for those not accustomed to the severe winters.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Stay safe more arctic weather enroute! Saw some skiier riding fresh powder in Galveston. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looks like freezing rain is headed our way and should start early in the AM so the streets should be slick and dangerous the entire day. As long as we have power we can deal with the travel limitations.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Fellow Texans I am pretty sure this isn't a news flash but the "planned" outages are to continue. I could tolerate the outages a little better if they informed customers the night before and the morning of the day of the intended outage so people could be better prepared for the inconvenience but what actually happens is they flip a switch. BTW, when they flip said switch they fry a few computers and refrigerators compressors for good measure.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts