Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well today.

I'd like to say that I absolutely love the Arancio Borealis pearl orange. It is, in my opinion, one of the best oranges on the market today. I did have a couple questions, so I hope the experts and those who are more versed in the way of this topic can help me out.

I apologize in advance if there is a thread concerning this, I searched and could not find one regarding my questions. Thanks to everyone in advance for their insight, I truly appreciate it.

For reference, this is the color I'm aiming for: Arancio Borealis

Question 1: I have browsed the internet and would like to confirm the Arancio Borealis paint code. From my findings the PPG code is: 905385 and 905385/2. Is this correct?

Question 2: If the paint codes are correct, is it a combination of 2 different paint codes they are using? If I wanted to get a car painted that color, what PPG code would I give the body shop?

Question 3: To get the color that I linked, that beautiful pearly orange, how many coats does it take? I'm assuming it is a tri-coat? If it is, is it three layers of the same paint code or is it a different color code for each layer?

Thanks for your time and patience.

-Roark

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The base coat is white followed by color coat. The more layers you put on, the darker it gets. This is why it's tricky to get the color to match if you are not painting the entire car at the same time. After the color coat is dried, the you have the clear coat.

The color coat can be mixed and made by any PPG paint shop. It consist of metallic flakes and many colors combined.

Typically, about 15-20 layers of the color coat is applied. This is why a good paint job takes a whole day to do.

·
Registered
604 Posts
[/QUOTE] Typically, about 15-20 layers of the color coat is applied. This is why a good paint job takes a whole day to do.

Are you sure about this? heard that it supose to be a 1layer primer and 3 times colorcoat + clear coat

Please corect me if im wrong.

And bye the way good question:wave:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
it depends on how thick each coat is and what type of paint gun is used.

factory will have a setup that is optimized between speed and quality. but factory paint is often thinner than a good aftermarket paint job.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That was my car you linked to lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
Best thing to do is to get the Vin# of the car and give it to the bodyshop just to make sure about the paint code.
You can get the same color mixed by all different paint companies. (PPG, Dupont, BASF, etc..) But I prefer PPG :)
It is 3 stage paint(Base+Pearl+Clear) so it will take time and money to do it right.
If you were to paint just one panel, I highly recommend blending the panels around that part.
Also most shops are changing to water based paint now so chances are it will be harder to match if you are not painting the whole car.
Good luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts