Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how easy the gearboxes are to work on (in)... What parts go wrong, what needs replacing etc...
In particular, it appears from the parts diagrams that their are 2 synchro mechanisms fro the forward gears (plus one for reverse) - anyone know if these wear from abuse?

Finally, what needs replacing in terms of seals and gaskets if one were to open a gearbox up?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It’s a very straightforward box to work on from what I have seen, but the cost of the parts are insane, as to be expected.

In the Hoovie’s Garage episode, they quickly abandoned the idea of repairing the box over buying a working used unit as a result of parts cost.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The factory service manual goes into detail on the rebuild procedures for the gearbox. It looks like a pretty basic unit with parts being the big question mark. The case itself does not appear to have any gaskets with all covers sealed with Loctite Anaerobic sealant. Other than that there are only 3 other seals (front drive, rear drive, gearbox control). Besides the horrible parts prices the other issue is a general lack of information because very few cars have had these units re-built.

A junkyard gearbox is likely the best option as you can easily reach the price of a low mileage box buying only a few parts from Lamborghini.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Fair point about the cost of parts and getting a 2nd hand one. Problem is there is usually no guarantee on how good it is and what problems it brings. I've decided to go for a set of synchros which costs about a third of a 2nd hand box on ebay. Let's see what the surgery reveals....

·
Registered
9 Posts
After watching the Hoovie garage video i checked the prices of new replacement parts and they were no where as high as they claim in the video. Do your own homework and dont be mislead by youtube bs

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the Youtubers never let facts get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:
The fact that there is no guarantee when buying a 2nd hand box puts me off - Hoovies had a sub-20k mile car with a broken box, so just shows you never know what you're getting unless you were familiar with the donor.
I'm going to replace the synchros for a fraction of the cost of a used gbox, and see how I go...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
After watching the Hoovie garage video i checked the prices of new replacement parts and they were no where as high as they claim in the video. Do your own homework and dont be mislead by youtube bs
Please post the prices you found and the vendor(s) for the gearbox parts to benefit of the group. The prices I was seeing were crazy high when I looked a while back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The service manual which you can find online as a PDF has pretty detailed instructions on rebuilding the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Each gear is around $400, syncros are around $900.

Check with Glen at AMH.

I would not buy the bearings from Lambo, you can get the same ones for much less.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have any links to the Murcielago Service Manual download? Paid or free - I just want to be sure what I get is not a con...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks guys. Fair point about the cost of parts and getting a 2nd hand one. Problem is there is usually no guarantee on how good it is and what problems it brings. I've decided to go for a set of synchros which costs about a third of a 2nd hand box on ebay. Let's see what the surgery reveals....
How much where the synchros?

I've purchased 2x manual gearboxes- one bare for £2500 and one with the front torque tube and shift tower attached for £3500, which I thought was pretty reasonable. I've opened them both up, but appear low mile and very clean inside (one of my reciepts shows the box had done under 10k miles from memory).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much where the synchros?

I've purchased 2x manual gearboxes- one bare for £2500 and one with the front torque tube and shift tower attached for £3500, which I thought was pretty reasonable. I've opened them both up, but appear low mile and very clean inside (one of my reciepts shows the box had done under 10k miles from memory).
£618+VAT for two of them. I think the third was cheaper...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts