Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing work on my bosses 99 SV, one issue he wanted me to look into was the fact that it was a PITA to gas up the car. The way he told me was, it needed to be on the lowest setting on the fuel nozzle or else it would just shut off immediately, and that it was nearly impossible to fill to the top of the tank because of the fact it kept shutting off. Another boss of mine had a 2000 Diablo and he said he had to bring a coat hanger with him, and cram it down into the gas tank to open up the valve. There's no way im doing that, so im looking for a more permanent fix.

Also i read this write up : Filling up with Gas in a Gallardo

I havnt had a chance to try it out yet, was wondering if anyone had opinions on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
There was a thread going around on this exact topic a few months ago... can't find it.

But yes, the upside down nozzle apparently works for most people. I also remember someone creating a sort of ring around the rim of the gas tank hole which technically "lifted" the nozzle away.

I'll keep searching - but if someone remembers this, maybe they can chime in.

EDIT: Nope, seems like every thread I've found pretty much suggests that website link. I also forgot to scroll down... and the "ring" I was talking about is what they have on that website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Believe me i did search the forum, but couldnt find anything as of yet. Yes as shown in that website on Lamboweb, the plastic ring can screw right over the fuel neck and that would give me maybe a 1/4 inch give or take more clearance. Honestly, the car wont be driven much more when im done with it. So i may need to just live with carrying that ring around...

If you find that thread please let me know!

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
It's a well know problem. Everything has been discussed from holding the nozzle in all different angels to reshaping the angel of the filler hose etc. Nothing conclusive as far as I know except that some pumps give you no problems, while others are terrible. I've just learned to live with it especially since i don't drive much.... Which is another reason why Diablo's are terrible daily drivers. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
the pumps that have the vapor recovery system do make it difficult , i use 1 hand to pull back the hose for the vapor system and the other to put the nozzle in there at a good angle, its not that bad and better than the work truck we have .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help! Im actually going to try this: Stant

and see how that goes. My hopes are that it will give me maybe 1/2inch more for the nozzle. So fumes/gasoline cant find there way back up. I agree with Rayman, it wont be driven much. Maybe...MAYBE once a month... I'll let you know how it goes! I should be getting it monday...

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Diablo is not ment to be a "Daily Driver" It is an "Event Driver" ie every you time you take her out, its an event. She better be clean, she'll get her picture taken at every stop light and more. Filling her up?? yup, PITA, 'cause you goatta answer all those questions while slowly tricklng petrol into her. Is it worth it?? IMHO, every second.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me, i feel the same way. This was brought up in in "talking" i guess you could say. I had the car shipped cross county, with no gas in it. And my boss told me to take it to get filled up, then remembered this issue, and asked me to research it. I appreciate all the help everyones giving me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can agree sometimes with some of our forum members , but alot of times i cannot , the more you drive your Diablo the better , smoother , faster more reliable it will be , think about it like exercising regularly , if you exercise 1 time a month , you will be all stiff + out of shape , but do a little every day + you will be in good shape , its the same as the Lamborghini, exercise it everyday or every few days and notice the difference !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can see both sides of your opinions fellas! The road around here are decent, not too bad. The fact that it's a pain to fill up isnt a huge deal, that what my boss is paying me for... he isnt worried about it. Its more of a problem that i would like to try and figure out. That STANT cap i showed above wont work, so im still trying to figure out a better solution!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can see both sides of your opinions fellas! The road around here are decent, not too bad. The fact that it's a pain to fill up isnt a huge deal, that what my boss is paying me for... he isnt worried about it. Its more of a problem that i would like to try and figure out. That STANT cap i showed above wont work, so im still trying to figure out a better solution!
..................................................... Its not that bad , i mean i fill up every few days , you get used to it and you will find the happy spot that the nozzle + car likes , you can not set it at full speed and let go, but you can get the gas in there .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great! Im still doing random work on it, so i havnt even had a chance to take it to the station yet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Driving it only once a month is not a good idea, "garage queen" cars typically have more issues than cars driven every few days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i ordered a " McCuff" and got a chance to test it out today! Worked perfect! Although i want able to just leave it in and walk away while it filled (dunno why id want to do that) I was able to fill it at the fastest rate the nozzle would go, and had no problems with the nozzle shutting off.! Id say success!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So i ordered a " McCuff" and got a chance to test it out today! Worked perfect! Although i want able to just leave it in and walk away while it filled (dunno why id want to do that) I was able to fill it at the fastest rate the nozzle would go, and had no problems with the nozzle shutting off.! Id say success!

Sometimes i would not take the car out because i knew i had to go to the station, and the thought of filling up terrified me. That's how bad it has been sometimes. I have tried everything. I did find one pump at one gas station that would allow me to fill up at half speed, but they closed down last year.

So i ordered a McCuff, let's hope i'm as lucky as you.

Thank you for sharing, maybe now i will use the car more often. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts