Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m debating selling my 580 and getting into a 720s. I found a truly perfect example in a beautiful papaya orange color with every option I’d like. It’s a performance version. Entire car has expel ultimate on it and it has a whopping 400 miles on the odometer!

I know they are different cars and I would like to keep the H but can’t justify it. I have a Shelby GT350R which gives me that NA flat plane crank V8, beautiful sound and stick shift so I think having a higher tier performance car that’s more muted and less visceral actually makes sense. I’ve always liked the look and presence of the 720s and I think it’s such a performance bargain with great livability. I think what I’m lacking in the Shelby, I get with the 720s...ridiculous speed and exotic super car looks.

I give that intro because I know I will give up the sound, rock solid engine and reliability in the H which has me not pot committed on the 720s. How bad is the 720s reliability? How is it as an overall car and experience? All positive and negative experiences greatly appreciated as it will help me with my decision.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
One day…a papaya orange Mclaren will be in my garage. Good luck and anxious to hear from others. I will say I have a buddy who in the past two years has owned Demons, 911 GTS, M5, m4 CS, others I can’t remember and just got rid of like 4 to buy a 720S. He loves it. I called him early in my search and he completely knocked Lambo cause of his new 720S. Right now I want a NA V10 so for me the timing isn’t right. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
They're super fast and comfortable/easy to drive. It's more like a 911 turbo in that it's not as visceral feeling as McLaren's LT cars. If you end up with a well sorted one, you will love it. I've had three friends that owned one. Two of them sold theirs within first year of ownership because of recurring problems. One still has his and loves it.

I would honestly rather buy one with 10k miles on it than 400 miles. If someone is selling it after 400 miles, there's a chance it might be one of the problematic ones.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Test drove them a couple times but just can't do it. Is extremely fast but unless you are driving that way there is no excitement or sound
thanks for the input. I’m going to test drive soon which will obviously be the ultimate litmus test for going forward or not I’d imagine. Regarding the sound...how is it with the “sports exhaust?” I’m not expecting lambo sound but it would be nice if it sounds somewhat unique. For sound nothing compares to the Aventador GT350R and gallardo. I like that higher pitched sound.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're super fast and comfortable/easy to drive. It's more like a 911 turbo in that it's not as visceral feeling as McLaren's LT cars. (The 675LT was actually my first choice ahead of the Huracan at first.) If you end up with a well sorted one, they're fantastic. I've had three friends that owned one. Two of them sold theirs within first year of ownership because of problems. One still has his and loves it.

I would honestly rather buy one with 10k miles on it than 400 miles. If someone is selling it after 400 miles, there's a chance it might be one of the problematic ones.
great input knowing your friends overall had to pass in a year...not a great sign. I agree with miles as I drive all my cars. Sitting engines are like sitting people....not well oiled machines. This was a milestone vehicle I learned as I asked specifically about how it sat and why it sat. I will have a two year warranty it so it should show gremlins within that time but yeah...it is a risk I’m having to weigh.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The McLaren 675LT was my first choice. I ended up deciding to pass because of potential headaches.

If the car is under original factory warranty and you're not going to modify it at all, might be worth the risk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Driven the 720S multiple times. Tried to love it. Just not what I am looking for in a car but insanely capable and ludicrous speed. Nearest dealer also insanely far away

Friend of mine sold his H for one. Drove it 3 months now back in another H.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was debating a new 570s vs the huracan evo rwd but ended up choosing the H.
TT V8 is probably not going anywhere in the next few years, V10 may be gone by 2023.
To me that made the decision much easier.

Also, if you aren't taking it to the track, you might consider a 570s? I know it's "only" 560ish hp, but if you're city driving it I doubt you will notice much difference (2.8 vs 3.1 0-60) and you can get it brand new for the same price as a used 720s.

·
Registered
SL #7007
253 Posts
I’ve driven my buddys and damn they are fast. My only gripe with Mclaren reliability concerns. You always hear about them breaking down…. My buddys 720 that I drove broke down his first night with 15 miles on the clock. He took it back to the dealer and it was some electrical short. It was fixed and he hasn’t had any issues since but they still scare me….

Reactions: azzurri

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The McLaren 675LT was my first choice. I ended up deciding to pass because of potential headaches.

If the car is under original factory warranty and you're not going to modify it at all, might be worth the risk.
What head aches?
675lt is one of the most reliable mclarens due to the care mclaren took constructing them.
and, what a car.
29,000 miles and counting.
My advise is to buy a mclaren from a mclaren dealer, make sure all maintenance is up to date, and get the warranty at least for one year after factory
Shake out anything that could go wrong

·
Registered
128 Posts
The McLaren 675LT is one of the best and most reliable super cars ever built.

They are difficult to find due to the fact that owners don't end up selling them very often.

The 720's aren't bad either, but the 720 does not have the reputation that the 675 have.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What head aches?
675lt is one of the most reliable mclarens due to the care mclaren took constructing them.
and, what a car.
My advise is to buy a mclaren from a mclaren dealer, make sure all maintenance is up to date, and get the warranty at least for one year after factory
Very well stated!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I test drove a 720s for a while when cross shopping the Perf. I had a 650s at the time so my feelings may be a bit skewed since I was kind of sick of Mclaren. The 720 is obviously a great car but lacks serious emotion when driving it in stock form. I’m sure if you tune, put down pipes, etc it will be a lot more emotional but I found it pretty boring. It’s crazy fast but I felt disconnected completely(similar to my 650s and big reason I sold it).

For a daily super car or something you want for date nights, 720s serves the purpose well. But for a weekend warrior it just didn’t do it for me. Also, I am completely sick of Mclaren service, all the stupid little things always going wrong, and the cost of ownership including depreciation. I know many will chime in and say there mclarens are rock solid, but the reliability rep does have some truth to it in my experience. Also, the transport guy that does a ton of exotics in my area said mclarens are by far the most he picks up with issues. Not saying all are bad, but they do have QC issues. Would I buy a mac again? Yes, I think so. The LT cars are amazing driver cars and they have extended warranty options that keep you covered…just a hassle if you happen to get one with more gremlins then others.

Just my 2 cents - I know you are a viper guy too and I don’t think the 720(stock form at least) will do it for you.

Reactions: GreenDemon

·
Registered
222 Posts

They are difficult to find due to the fact that owners don't end up selling them very often.

The 720's aren't bad either, but the 720 does not have the reputation that the 675 have.
What metric or data point do you have to say that the 675LT is one of the most reliable super cars ever built?

·
Registered
212 Posts
What head aches?
and, what a car.

I actually signed onto the Mclaren forum 5-6 months ago with the intention of buying one. While what you guys are saying is true about it being the most reliable McLaren and fantastic to drive, I feel about 50% of the members still had an attitude that they'd never own one out of warranty. I just didn't want to deal with a 5yr old British car out of warranty or figure out if it's eligible for warranty and figure out what McLaren will and wont cover.

Also little things like the front splitter is something like $15-20k. I'm on front splitter number 4 on my current car between random road debris and valets and parking garages.

If my Huracan order falls through for any reason, I still have my eye on the green one at McLaren Boston.

edit: forgot to mention. I also really like to modify my cars. I had already looked at M-Engineering tunes and Unobtanium downpipes for the 675LT. So no warranty for those reasons was a consideration.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts