Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body hear these strange comments before you owned a lambo?

I was reading around on the forum and an idea sparked to post this thread, my strange professors also made me come here again.

I've heard things like: "You need a certain ammount of money in the bank to buy a lambo" Which might be true if you plan to buy it in cash(new or used) but not in all cases, lets not forget the popular one: "Drug dealers buy cars like that" ..has anyone been accused of a crime you didnt do just by owning the car? Ive even heard a comment : "Wow, you have sports car insurance?!"

My IT Professor sent the class an email starting "Everybody here in this class is capable of becoming a millionaire, and successful from this class" My Marketing professor shows a commercial of the new Acura NSX, and says "Owning a car like this is just a fantasy" to the class.

I'm really glad I Ignore some of the strange comments. Maybe its just some kind of conspiracy. :evil:

What kind of comments have you heard prior to owning your car or whatever else? Just curious. :p

"Does the word expensive really exist?"
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear"
2015 Polaris 330 Trail boss

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Comments like that are very common, but they usually come from people who are not car enthusiasts. They know the names like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., and associate the brands with the ultra wealthy. Hence, the uneducated opinions and comments. There is no need for them to research and find out how actually affordable these cars are, since they are not the least bit interested. I don't blame them. I sure wouldn't spend a bunch of time researching something I wasn't the least bit interested in.

Example......I have a friend that's into yachts. He loves them, knows a lot about them, the different engines, brands, best equipment, etc. He does most of his own work to his yacht as well. He's a hard working guy and is doing okay, but definitely not ultra wealthy. Whenever someone finds out he owns a yacht, people can't believe he owns one and think he must be super rich! In reality, owning one is much more affordable than people think.

Also, what do you think of when someone says they own a Picasso?? Most people will think....Wow, that guy must be rich! When in reality, you can own a real piece of Picasso artwork for around $1200.

In all cases though with the yacht, Picasso, or the Lambo....there are extreme cases in which you do have to be ultra wealthy to own certain examples. That's the stereotypical scenario that the general public seems most commonly think of.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've never heard of anything like that (in person). If I did, I would consider the person either completely ignorant or just envious of owners. The worst I have heard is "where can you drive such a car" (implying what a waste to get such a car because of speed limits).

As you mentioned, you don't need a certain amount of money to afford a Lamborghini...at least not with the Gallardo. Sure, some Lamborghinis are completely impractical and have higher maintenance but Lambo has come a long way under Audi ownership. What you need is dedication, discipline, and hard work to make the right choices and save money for the goal.

As for the "drug dealers"...that is completely inane. Drug dealers would never buy a Lambo. Doing so would be like painting a bulls eye on their backs and begging for law enforcement and tax officers to target and hunt them. In other words, this is nothing more than a movie myth...i.e. fiction ala Scarface.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder
15,427 Posts
I used to hear "you're a dreamer Russ, you think like a child". I would reply, of course I am, and thank you for the compliments!

·
Registered
248 Posts
If your professor knew how to make millions he wouldn't be a college professor unless he already made millions and wanted to give back to society. It's one of the biggest problems we have, the people in education are not the go getters out doing it. I was never a great student but never a bad one either, I'm sure many of my teachers would **** a brick knowing that I was one of the few that made it based in their view of grades=success.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
When I was younger(22) and had a ferrari drop top in the garage, I used to get the drug dealer comment all the time. I also used to get the "is that your parents car?" I knew it was just jealousy...As far as a professor telling you you can't be a millionaire, well, that's what a lot of close minded non millionaires say. It's people like them that allow people like us to thrive.

You're on the right track, keep it up and you'll own one before you know it!

As for the yacht story or picasso, i totally agree. Not everything is out of reach, but, because of people like that, some of these things are more within reach :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I was younger(22) and had a ferrari drop top in the garage, I used to get the drug dealer comment all the time. I also used to get the "is that your parents car?" I knew it was just jealousy..
Why does it always default to jealousy?

Is it common for a 22 year old to have a Ferrari? Wouldn't it be much more likely that a 22 year old with one would have it from his parents?

I get that it wasn't and people should be open minded, but it's not completely out of this world that it could have been your parents. It could have also been a legit, non-jealousy based question.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Why does it always default to jealousy?

Is it common for a 22 year old to have a Ferrari? Wouldn't it be much more likely that a 22 year old with one would have it from his parents?

I get that it wasn't and people should be open minded, but it's not completely out of this world that it could have been your parents. It could have also been a legit, non-jealousy based question.
I am all about giving people the benefit of the doubt, but, in my opinion, when someone leads with oh, isn't that your parents car, it implies they can't believe someone at that age could possibly have bought it themselves. The only reason to even ask that is to figure out a way to justify themselves not being able to own one, and if in fact it was a parents car, it helps make themselves feel better.

I don't know if it's more likely it's a parents car, many of my friends are self made.

Fact of the matter is, when I see a nice car, exotic or whatever it may be, I usually comment on it, I talk about how great it is and compliment the driver. Never do I even ask who's it is as that's irrelevant.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am all about giving people the benefit of the doubt, but, in my opinion, when someone leads with oh, isn't that your parents car, it implies they can't believe someone at that age could possibly have bought it themselves. The only reason to even ask that is to figure out a way to justify themselves not being able to own one, and if in fact it was a parents car, it helps make themselves feel better.

I don't know if it's more likely it's a parents car, many of my friends are self made.

Fact of the matter is, when I see a nice car, exotic or whatever it may be, I usually comment on it, I talk about how great it is and compliment the driver. Never do I even ask who's it is as that's irrelevant.
JR. MINT: We must be twins separated at birth I swear. I had a simular experience with my first Viper (a 2001 GTS ACR back in 03). Had the "daddy's car" commits from a few guys at a VCA events. Hated that.

I'm always happy to see people with cool stuff. It inspires me to keep busting my ass.

How can I get one of those paintings for $1,200. I had no idea I could get one that "cheap".

·
Registered
765 Posts

I think it comes down to most people being tactless idiots. You are correct though, it is what most people thought when they were asking you, that it was in fact your dads car. People base their perceptions on their own experiences, maybe they do not hang out with several hundred self made billionaires. I know when I was 22, I was buying a house and getting married, in a few short years I was having a kid. Owning a Ferrari was not on my radar, so seeing someone I knew have one, would have not made me think they were a self made trillionaire, nor would it have been jealousy. I however would not have asked if it was dads car either, I would have done like you, commented and asked car related questions. I've found that soon enough the truth comes out.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I love your quotes and live by them. Everything you want IS on the other side of fear. Most successful people I know have only educated caution not fear. To have some fear is wise but if the numbers work and you can live with the worst case then go for it. Many of my investments appeared risky to the uninformed. That is great because I have less competition and make more profit. Live by your quote and you will find yourself a Lambo owner sooner than you think. I met a beautiful, radio disc jocky lady (and later TV personality) by walking up to her in my college bookstore and talking to her. She later told me that my fearlessness is what attracted her. (I was actually scared @#$%less at the time) Most average earners let fear rule their lives. Lose the fear and get ready to buy a lambo. Professors tell you that you cant because they never could or never will and by you doing it , they are shown to be what they really are ; Posers with a title. A very few of them actually ever made it in the real world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts