·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
13,114 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I'll add:

Inside Window - A special triangle shaped (as another co-member showed above) is vital. The inside window can build up a layer/ film consisting of plastic outgases accumulated over time in may cars. For Lambos, with mostly leather and carbon fiber, the outgases may be from the owner LOL.
Outside Window - Start with 000 Steel Wool (it can shed fibers so take care) and a lubricant (Windex) to get the glass squeaky clean & smooth. This only need to be done once a year and maybe even every two years.
:)
OEM windshield is typically made from two tempered glass with pvb in between. And the tempered glass is mostly quartz (70% silica with some limestone). Technically 000 steel wool is softer than quartz and will not scratch newer tempered glass. But I've read that it can scratch older glass that has less limestone. I have no idea the composition of the windshield used by Lamborghini, so I would advise extra care when using the 000 (and make sure it's really 000).

@Kenny94945 I salute you for your bravery! :D

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I used to use newspapers as well. Not sure why they work so well, but they do. However, it's been years since I've subscribed to those 'rags' and hate to spend even 50 cents buying their opinionated crap :)
I'll try Sakura's distilled water trick next. He may have a point.

While we are on topic, how to best clean the gauges and instrument cluster without scratching circles in the plastic? On the Gallardo, these do not appear to be actual glass but some sort of plastic that scratches far easier than glass. Prior owner(s) rubbed a bit of circular marks in a few. My Diablo's gauges are all glass and are therefore all perfect, by way of example.

Finally, anyone have a good idea how to refurbish the soft navigation screen on a Gallardo? Mine from prior owners is scratched more than I would like. I'll throw out the first idea: cover right over it with Clear Bra material?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
While we are on topic, how to best clean the gauges and instrument cluster without scratching circles in the plastic? On the Gallardo, these do not appear to be actual glass but some sort of plastic that scratches far easier than glass. Prior owner(s) rubbed a bit of circular marks in a few. My Diablo's gauges are all glass and are therefore all perfect, by way of example.
For plastics that are scratch friendly...a damped very soft cloth. You can also use Plexus and Meguiar plastic detailer. If the plastics are not painted or just transparent, for surface scratches you can just buff them out using headlight treatment set (one with brown buffer & sealant). For deeper scratch, you just gotta use sandpapers (harder to softer) and then use the headlight treatment set. It's very fixable, but just gotta be very patient when buffing.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
571 Posts
Wipe it out with distilled water first, then a thin spray of glass cleaner into a windshield-cloth (not thick microfiber), then wipe. Never spray directly into the windshield. Very easy.

If you are into chemistry, distilled water is best because it traps particles and dirt. Glass cleaner dries out too fast to trap those. And if you use too much glass cleaner, the substance will leave streaks on the glass. Use glass cleaner after and in very moderate quantity.
I didn't mention this before but when I dilute the chemical cleaners I always use/used distilled water not tap. I had thought the purity would be higher not knowing if it would actually "improve" the effectiveness but I guess based upon what you have said it may have been beneficial.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wipe it out with distilled water first, then a thin spray of glass cleaner into a windshield-cloth (not thick microfiber), then wipe. Never spray directly into the windshield. Very easy.
This will hopefully be my game changer. I have never tried a first round of distilled water, AND I have always previously sprayed window cleaner directly onto the window.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Such good tips on this thread, thank you. Sakura, I think what you described for the gauges at least for my Gallardo would require taking them out of the instrument panel so that you can get to the edges? They are deep inset at least a quarter if not a half inch all around.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Such good tips on this thread, thank you. Sakura, I think what you described for the gauges at least for my Gallardo would require taking them out of the instrument panel so that you can get to the edges? They are deep inset at least a quarter if not a half inch all around.
You don't need to take out anything. Just stretch & warm up the fingers ready for buffing and use plenty of masking tapes on the edges and near sections for easy cleaning. Masking is your friend. When everything is done you can just take the masking tape out. If the buffers accidentally get into the edge even though you've used the masking tape, you can use q-tips with flattened head to clean the edge (you can flatten the head using fingers or small hammer and make it perpendicular). Also, if you still see some scratches after buffing and want a perfect look, you can fill the scratch with ceramic compound before applying the sealant. The ceramic compounds are white in the bottle, but give transparent result. They are the best for transparent plastics.

·
Premium Member
13,114 Posts
Not an expert but I use the following:

To clean the glass I use Meguair’s glass cleaning concentrate diluted 10:1 smells like grape juice but cleans glass nicely without streaking and is non-ammonia based. In the interior glass to avoid overspray on surrounding surfaces I use a microfiber towel and spray it with the glass cleaner and apply it to the glass, and remove the glass cleaner with another clean microfiber towel. I have also purchased Griot's glass cleaner it is horrible, just a heads up......

Towels that help avoid streaking:

To get into those tough to reach corners:
I received mine today and YES IT IS A HOMERUN! It is streakless and yes it does smell like somewhere between grape juice and bubblegum. I love it! Thanks for the it.

Reactions: Lambo2018

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
571 Posts
I received mine today and YES IT IS A HOMERUN! It is streakless and yes it does smell like somewhere between grape juice and bubblegum. I love it! Thanks for the it.
Did you buy a gallon? A gallon with a 10:1 dilution will last a really long time. I mentioned this is a prior post, use distilled water to do the dilution.

·
Premium Member
13,114 Posts
Did you buy a gallon? A gallon with a 10:1 dilution will last a really long time. I mentioned this is a prior post, use distilled water to do the dilution.
No,I got the premixed bottle to try it out, had I known I would like it this much I would have gotten the gallon. I can’t believe how easy it makes cleaning glass. Great find.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts