Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hyper-OCD about my windshield having NO streaks, smudges, film, or towel shedding, especially when I turn into oncoming low sun. I just can't seem to get it right lately.

Any windshield cleaning experts with specific products or towels to recommend? I googled it and tried top-ranked Stoner foam and also Mother's spray, but neither is making it easy.

I found this older thread in the Gallardo forum, but the YouTube video it contains is fairly basic and I'm already doing most of that stuff.

I’m at a point now where I feel like the only way I can ensure a perfect cleaning is to face my car into the sun!

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
13,027 Posts
I am right there with you on this one. It just drives me crazy when I get all ready to go for a drive and pull out of my driveway when all of a sudden the sun hits my meticulously cleaned windshield and those DEMON STREAKS appear. I have to pull over and take care of them immediately. I spend way too much time on my windows because I don't have the right product.

Reactions: octechnologist

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
472 Posts
Not an expert but I use the following:

To clean the glass I use Meguair’s glass cleaning concentrate diluted 10:1 smells like grape juice but cleans glass nicely without streaking and is non-ammonia based. In the interior glass to avoid overspray on surrounding surfaces I use a microfiber towel and spray it with the glass cleaner and apply it to the glass, and remove the glass cleaner with another clean microfiber towel. I have also purchased Griot's glass cleaner it is horrible, just a heads up......

Towels that help avoid streaking:

To get into those tough to reach corners:

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I ordered the glass cleaner and some of the towels. I have been using my instant detail polish on my windows and it is a PIA.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Wipe it out with distilled water first, then a thin spray of glass cleaner into a windshield-cloth (not thick microfiber), then wipe. Never spray directly into the windshield. Very easy.

If you are into chemistry, distilled water is best because it traps particles and dirt. Glass cleaner dries out too fast to trap those. And if you use too much glass cleaner, the substance will leave streaks on the glass. Use glass cleaner after and in very moderate quantity.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After YEARS of buying cleaners I finally tried…..water….resin cleaned water with zero contaminates from my resin system I use to wash the exterior of the car. I dampened a microfiber and grabbed a dry one and went to town. The result was a PERFECTLY clean windshield with no streaks, film, lint, etc. I'm still shaking my head LOL.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have been trying to get the front glass cleaned on this car forever, but it will NOT get perfectly clean or streak-free, no matter what I do. I have no issue with any of my other vehicles, but this HP...impossible. I have had expert detailers do it as well, to no avail. I have used every type of cloth/ fiber and glass cleaner known to man...with no better luck.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I have been trying to get the front glass cleaned on this car forever, but it will NOT get perfectly clean or streak-free, no matter what I do. I have no issue with any of my other vehicles, but this HP...impossible. I have had expert detailers do it as well, to no avail. I have used every type of cloth/ fiber and glass cleaner known to man...with no better luck.
Now that sounds like me! It makes me nuts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Guess Im not as OCD. Use Windex and paper towels. Weather is nice 99% of the time and I drive the Mini Countryman S if the probability of rain is over 20%.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
472 Posts
Guess Im not as OCD. Use Windex and paper towels. Weather is nice 99% of the time and I drive the Mini Countryman S if the probability of rain is over 20%.
Is that Windex an ammonia free variant? Paper towels.....you are the man!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I use dish soap which removes all waxes and window cleaners which are crap. I just use a QD and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
472 Posts
I use dish soap which removes all waxes and window cleaners which are crap. I just use a QD and I'm good to go.
Help those of us that are acronym challenged, QD? I use QD when I prescribe a med to be taken once a day but I am pretty sure that's not right. ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Help those of us that are acronym challenged, QD? I use QD when I prescribe a med to be taken once a day but I am pretty sure that's not right. ;)
HA that's exactly what I was thinking although with the degree of OCD among some owners perhaps it's QID?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll add:

Inside Window - A special triangle shaped (as another co-member showed above) is vital. The inside window can build up a layer/ film consisting of plastic outgases accumulated over time in may cars. For Lambos, with mostly leather and carbon fiber, the outgases may be from the owner LOL.
Outside Window - Start with 000 Steel Wool (it can shed fibers so take care) and a lubricant (Windex) to get the glass squeaky clean & smooth. This only need to be done once a year and maybe even every two years.
Claying with a clay bar IMO is not sufficient for this cleaning prep.
Next use of dedicated (or new) towels: one for cleaner and one for buffing dry. Our co-member suggested spraying the cleaning onto the rag, not the windshield; worth a try, but I just spray onto the glass.

That only real trick I ever heard, but do not utilized, is from a prior generation of my family.
That tip trick is to clean windows utilizing newspapers instead of cloth rags.

FWIW General Motors (GM) make a glass cleaner (aerosol) that is great and costs about $6 a can.
My window cleaning peeve is that inside edge at the dash and the inside and outside top edge of the side windows.

Have fun and enjoy some OCD :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep I have the triangle.

Steel wool. That is some next level **** right there.

I used to use newspapers about 20 years ago. They do work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Yep I have the triangle.

Steel wool. That is some next level **** right there.

I used to use newspapers about 20 years ago. They do work pretty well.
Hate using newspaper, I am also OCD about ink on my hands.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts