Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any current members that are bike riders as well. I searched the forum and found a thread from 2012 so am am looking for a more current perspective. If you own a bike what do you have or what would you recommend that is currently available on the market. I am looking at an Indian for short rides not the big touring machines. I test drove a bike recently similar to the one pictured and I also bought two matching helmets but hesitated because of the fear of becoming road kill. The low profile of the bike coupled with aggressive drivers can make motorcycle ownership pretty dicey. I know when I had my last bike eons ago the longer I had it the faster I took turns and leaned it more and more rounding those turns. I remember one incident when I was riding home from after leaving college and it had just rained and I was traveling a tad fast and the car in front on me slammed on the brakes………I had to lay the bike down and then proceeded to role 35 feet and did not even get a scratch. BTW, I was appropriately dressed with a helmet, shorts and a short sleeved shirt. :rolleyes: I guess the wet pavement helped me avoid any abrasions etc. There is the a saying………God looks out for fools or should I say the fool hearty?

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
I still ride... a1200 Sportster....low and slow.
Retired road racer.
Advise?
A local dealership for the brand you desire is an asset.
(In my area even getting a tire changed is a burden.)
Harleys offer a comradery ... which I think is a good thing.
Leathers and helmets...road rash sucks.
(Look to Alpinestar boots for high tech inner boots and their rider worn air bag system)
You mention short trips.
You mention riding double.
There are so many choices.

What about a classic 1970 Honda 750?
A used 2010 Harley Dyna?
New 1000cc Honda Africa Twin? (Can transverse dirt roads on this)
Super Motard (KTM or Ducati)? Wheelies, doughnuts curb jumbing and parking.
The Indian you pictured is more than likely a great bike, yet I don't follow that brand.

In reading your post I don't know how to answer.
Any Harley, Indian, Cruiser handles like sh*t IMO (acceleration, braking, weight, gear change speed, corner clearance, drifting et al).
Of these cruisers that some say handle, the Ducati Diavel has a big following
But a 300cc Yamaha or Kawasaki will out perform them (and be safer in accident avoidance capabilities) in all aspects (except comfort and top end speed) all day long.
If you are going to ride double you need 1000cc IMO.

In closing:
For fun, get a Super Motard.
For investment get a classic Honda.
For all around convenience, get a Sportster.

FWIW
Good luck in your decision.
And let us know which bike you acquire.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kenny94945, wow thanks for the thoughtful info packed response. I will spend some time exploring your recommendations. Thanks my friend...... (y)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Hey Lambo2018, I am a fellow rider as well. I have been riding for 40+ years. I have ridden everything from ZX-7's to GSXR's and Harleys with two and three wheels. My dad was an amazing mechanic that wouldn't hesitate to strap a Nitrous system to my sport bikes and let me go, go go. :D:D:D. In the past 10 years, I have wanted to take the wife and the dog with me when I ride so that brings me to my most recent ride.
UralLamboForum.JPG

Back in the day the Ural motorcycle company took a lot of guff for their unreliability. Of recent they are producing a really great product. My model has two wheel drive, and reverse gear. The drive wheel has an "engagable" drive shaft that powers the sidecar wheel. They're not for everyone but if you want to know more, please ask.

You can't go wrong with anything you choose. Decide on where and how you want to ride (two up) or solo. And as always ATGAT !!! All The Gear, All The Time.

Good Luck.

Attachments

Reactions: Lambo2018

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I also ride, although not as much as I want to! As you can probably tell, I'm a Ducati fan. Fortunate enough to have three fairly rare models which I love. Crazy torque in almost all rev ranges, awesome sound and not nearly as finicky or problematic as people told me they were before I bought my first one 10 years ago (been riding since I was a kid though).

Agree with Kenny. Full gear all the time. No need to take unnecessary risks. As most of the riding year here in SoCal is so damn hot for me, I have leather gear and textile gear as the tex gear breathes a lot more but still has much of the body armor built in. Personally, I am partial to Dainese but everyone has their favorite. There's a host of them out there at all price points, so no excuses. As an aside, buy the best lid you can. Can't put a price on protecting your head (remember to consider flying objects as well).

Also agree with Kenny on the Africa Twin! If you are looking for a dual purpose, that thing is awesome! Also, the Ducati Multistrada could be a contender or the Triumph Tiger.

Another fun option around town is the Ducati Monster (I'm not really this biased, am I?). A great all around city bike and with Audi in charge these days production quality has been steadily improving by leaps and bounds.

BMW also has a great range of bikes including the GS series and their addition a few years ago of a cafe racer that looks pretty cool.

Tommy is spot on...today, it is hard to go wrong with all the great rides that are out there. Pull the trigger and come join us!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Lambo2018, I am a fellow rider as well. I have been riding for 40+ years. I have ridden everything from ZX-7's to GSXR's and Harleys with two and three wheels. My dad was an amazing mechanic that wouldn't hesitate to strap a Nitrous system to my sport bikes and let me go, go go. :D:D:D. In the past 10 years, I have wanted to take the wife and the dog with me when I ride so that brings me to my most recent ride.
UralLamboForum.JPG

Back in the day the Ural motorcycle company took a lot of guff for their unreliability. Of recent they are producing a really great product. My model has two wheel drive, and reverse gear. The drive wheel has an "engagable" drive shaft that powers the sidecar wheel. They're not for everyone but if you want to know more, please ask.

You can't go wrong with anything you choose. Decide on where and how you want to ride (two up) or solo. And as always ATGAT !!! All The Gear, All The Time.

Good Luck.
ATGAT, sounds like sage advice and I will check out the Ural. BTW, great photo of the dog riding shotgun. ;) There is nothing like being on a bike......just wish there were fewer "distracted" drivers.....many can't put down that phone and stop texting.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also ride, although not as much as I want to! As you can probably tell, I'm a Ducati fan. Fortunate enough to have three fairly rare models which I love. Crazy torque in almost all rev ranges, awesome sound and not nearly as finicky or problematic as people told me they were before I bought my first one 10 years ago (been riding since I was a kid though).

Agree with Kenny. Full gear all the time. No need to take unnecessary risks. As most of the riding year here in SoCal is so damn hot for me, I have leather gear and textile gear as the tex gear breathes a lot more but still has much of the body armor built in. Personally, I am partial to Dainese but everyone has their favorite. There's a host of them out there at all price points, so no excuses. As an aside, buy the best lid you can. Can't put a price on protecting your head (remember to consider flying objects as well).

Also agree with Kenny on the Africa Twin! If you are looking for a dual purpose, that thing is awesome! Also, the Ducati Multistrada could be a contender or the Triumph Tiger.

Another fun option around town is the Ducati Monster (I'm not really this biased, am I?). A great all around city bike and with Audi in charge these days production quality has been steadily improving by leaps and bounds.

BMW also has a great range of bikes including the GS series and their addition a few years ago of a cafe racer that looks pretty cool.

Tommy is spot on...today, it is hard to go wrong with all the great rides that are out there. Pull the trigger and come join us!

Good luck!
The Ducati your describing with killer torque has piqued my interest especially the Monster but doesn't seem to leave room for the wife. Hmmmmmmmm maybe I should get two. Reliability?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering if there are any current members that are bike riders as well. I searched the forum and found a thread from 2012 so am am looking for a more current perspective. If you own a bike what do you have or what would you recommend that is currently available on the market. I am looking at an Indian for short rides not the big touring machines. I test drove a bike recently similar to the one pictured and I also bought two matching helmets but hesitated because of the fear of becoming road kill. The low profile of the bike coupled with aggressive drivers can make motorcycle ownership pretty dicey. I know when I had my last bike eons ago the longer I had it the faster I took turns and leaned it more and more rounding those turns. I remember one incident when I was riding home from after leaving college and it had just rained and I was traveling a tad fast and the car in front on me slammed on the brakes………I had to lay the bike down and then proceeded to role 35 feet and did not even get a scratch. BTW, I was appropriately dressed with a helmet, shorts and a short sleeved shirt. :rolleyes: I guess the wet pavement helped me avoid any abrasions etc. There is the a saying………God looks out for fools or should I say the fool hearty?
I own the DUCATI V4R and it is a fun bike but I mostly track it. If you are interested in getting comfortable with cornering and getting familiar with the back they have courses at the track and reasonably priced with instructors at every APEX guiding you accordingly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The wife and I have monsters..a great experience when the weather is nice, very reliable from my perspective..

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I own the DUCATI V4R and it is a fun bike but I mostly track it. If you are interested in getting comfortable with cornering and getting familiar with the back they have courses at the track and reasonably priced with instructors at every APEX guiding you accordingly.
Great advice appreciated!

The wife and I have monsters..a great experience when the weather is nice, very reliable from my perspective..
Useful feedback I will keep that in mind.

Dangit..I only have a bike...a bicycle with a cart in front o_O
Funny, how many hp was that? That is Human Power, of course.😂

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Sorry been a crazy couple of days...on the Ducs...very reliable. I have a 08 Monster S4RS in tricolore scheme which is awesome! An absolute Monster (no pun intended) as it has the 999 testastretta engine in it. I added an Arrows exhaust and had ProItalia here in SoCal tune the factory chip to the exhaust. It is awesome!

Monsters come in two up versions as well so you can accommodate the wifey! In Texas, take a jaunt over to AMS Ducati in Austin. They are super cool guys, always have a great inventory and generally know their stuff.

At this point, sounds like you are getting ready to buy. I would suggest you go out and test ride as many as you want and see what piques your interest. If a deal won't let you test ride, walk. IMHO, you cannot make a purchase decision without riding a bunch and seeing what fits your body and your riding style. Even if you are looking at an older model, go out an try something similar and see if you like it. For example, I have a rare 02 Ducati 748s in Senna paint that is absolute torture rack to ride but I am in sync with that bike and carve effortlessly on it so I keep it. On the other hand, I absolutely loved my test on the MV Agusta 800RR but passed on it because of the serious parts delays if you ever need to fix it. Try a bunch and see what you like

For reliability, I don't track my bikes but my Ducati have been super reliable. However, I am a fanatic about the maintenance and warming the bike up properly before it moves or goes above 3k RPM.

As a aside, watch all the Dave Moss videos on YouTube. The man is a genius in motorcycle performance and tuning.

For full disclosure, I have no relation to Dave Moss or AMS. They are just info sources that have helped me immensely in my MC life.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
When I think of Ducati, Tom Cruise always pop in my mind. He made bike riding looks too good with all that movie stunt and wavy hairs.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@DucFiend thanks for all the info I in fact already searched the Austin location and my wife and I will take a look around. I intend to watch some of the Dave Moss videos and get oriented. I happened on the one included below and it's very useful for choosing the proper Ducati for your body size/shape. One thing I like about the Ducati design is the shifter is right below your knee verses the Indian and Harley where it positioned much further forward. I prefer the Ducati shifter position it seems more ergonomic to me.

·
Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I think of Ducati, Tom Cruise always pop in my mind. He made bike riding looks too good with all that movie stunt and wavy hairs.
I guess Maverick chose a Ducati because he had the need for speed. ;)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Hey Sakura, funny you mention that. Tom personally owns some Ducati as I have seen him in Beverly Hills on a 1098 at one point and a Panigale later. In Top Gun, he rode a Ninja. In Days of Thunder, he had a Harley and in the recent Mission Impossibles he has been riding BMWs due to their sponsorship of the films but when he has been photographed in public riding, he is on a Ducati. He can actually really ride, he is quite a capable rider believe it or not.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Lambo, I agree with your comments on the Ducati shifter. They are well positioned for me as well. The big key for me with the Ducs is the torque. They have really good torque throughout the rev range so you don't always have to be downshifting for every corner, every slowdown. You can simply roll off a bit and then roll on because of the torque and wider power band (no need to crank up the revs). I'm working my way through all of Dave's videos to properly adjust everything on my bikes as well. He always has something that I missed but makes a huge difference. If for some reason, you can't find what you want, ProItalia in Glendale, CA is probably the oldest Ducati dealer in the US and they are also very good resources for bikes/info.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Hey Sakura, funny you mention that. Tom personally owns some Ducati as I have seen him in Beverly Hills on a 1098 at one point and a Panigale later. In Top Gun, he rode a Ninja. In Days of Thunder, he had a Harley and in the recent Mission Impossibles he has been riding BMWs due to their sponsorship of the films but when he has been photographed in public riding, he is on a Ducati. He can actually really ride, he is quite a capable rider believe it or not.
Oh man I would scream like a little girl if I see him on his bike. His cult life is his business, but his movies are just very cool to me. Do you happen to know what BMW bike model that he uses for MI7?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Hey Sakura, I think he was running a S1000RR in Rogue Nation and a RnineT in Fallout. As your pic showed, they also used some modded BMWs for stunts.

He is just another guys on his bike when I have seen him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts