Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the exotic car scene after a lifetime of muscle cars. Looking into a Gallardo as a future purchase. A pre-LP seems to be the popular choice, and I see a lot available. They seem to be around 20k-ish mile wise and anywhere from $90-120k. My questions are about cost as you might expect. How much life does the engine/clutch/trans have in them? It seems the higher the mileage the lower the car value because the need for rebuilds/parts is ahead. What’s a basic engine rebuild run? Assuming it hasn’t been beaten on too much that is. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,860 Posts
I’m not sure what a rebuild would cost, but in a Pre LP the clutch life is all over the place. If you know how to treat it you can extend the life considerably. The average can be anywhere between 8k to 16k. Some have done better and other worse. Reverse eats clutch life the worst. You really need to be aware of how often you’re slipping the clutch to keep it alive.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Agreed, but eventually a rebuild will be needed as I was planning on keeping the car and driving it frequently.
Talking to a factory trained tech if you don't live on the redline the engine will go many miles over 100k. I seem to remember someone on the forum with maybe around 150k and going strong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talking to a factory trained tech if you don't live on the redline the engine will go many miles over 100k. I seem to remember someone on the forum with maybe around 150k and going strong.
Appreciate that information. I’ve heard they had a pretty strong engine, but I’ve no experience with one.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Appreciate that information. I’ve heard they had a pretty strong engine, but I’ve no experience with one.
The pre LP engine is going to last for many many miles but they did redesign the engine for the LP changing the engineering and metallurgy to create a much stronger engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
An engine rebuild is not common, in large part because there just aren't that many pre-LP Gallardos with high miles (~100k miles). There are plenty out there with less than ~50k miles and among that much larger sample space engine failures requiring rebuild are rare. As mentioned the clutch needing to be replaced is a very real maintenance cost, and depending on how the car was driven might be needed a lot sooner than you'd think, so a clutch snap is nice to help you know when to expect the bill. The transmissions themselves (same tranny whether e gear or gated) are quite solid and I've never heard of one needing a rebuild, but problems with the e-gear system do occur. The e-gear system is not so different than any other electrohydraulic system, so has similar points of failure which include accumulator failure (inevitable), pump failure (very common), actuator failure (common), valve block failure (not common) or individual solenoid failure (not common). There are threads which price that stuff out but in general you could call it between a few hundred and a few grand, nothing truly insane like an engine rebuild costing many tens of thousands of dollars.

Find one with reasonable miles for the price that has been cared for and you'll be happy. Personally I would rather have higher mileage than a true garage queen with less than a few thousand miles, as age is still a factor in mechanical condition and if a car has just sat and sat and never really been driven there are plenty of issues that may need to be addressed in short order once you actually start driving it to enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
There are low mile cars that have no issues as they were driven at reasonable intervals and stored properly when not being driven. Find one of those and you have a real gem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve been looking around and seeing what’s out there. Pretty much all over the place from people over valuing their cars to ones that look like they’ve been driven hard. My biggest concern is to NOT have to do a bunch of work right away. I appreciate all the advice given so far!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts