Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you have been following the forum recently, you've probably seen my thread on the gallardo with 50k and bizarre seats. I have decided NOT to purchase the vehicle following the advice of most of the people in that thread, so thank you. As I was continuing my search, I came across this 2009 Gallardo with 29k miles for $95k, newly listed. I think wow, what an incredible deal. Maybe the 09 Gallardos are simply going down. I go to the website (which is a dealership that sells cars with clean, rebuilt, and salvage titles, not a good sign) and check out the car. A carfax is available and it shows the vehicle as being clean, however, there is evidence of odometer rollback! The vehicle was in Quebec, Canada the first 10 years of it's life. Between 2008 and 2014, 35k miles were put on the vehicle and it was serviced at Automobiles Etcetera, which seems to be a reliable exotic dealership in Canada. Fast forward to 2015 and suddenly, the odometer is listed at 4,305 by the Quebec Motor Vehicle Department (their DMV I'm assuming), a 30k mile decrease! The car is then transported to the US in 2018 (florida specifically) and serviced multiple times at Lamborghini dealerships. The first service is done at Lamborghini Palm Beach and the mileage is listed at 15,058. It is serviced for the last time at the same dealership and mileage is listed as 15,582. Fast forward to now and the vehicle is sitting at 21,350 miles in Missouri. Quite a wild ride. Questionable upholstery is one thing, but Odometer rollback is not something I would touch with a 10 foot stick. I just find it interesting that it was serviced multiple times at dealerships and no flags were raised about the mileage. Do the Gallardo's not store mileage on the ECU? Was interesting in hearing your thoughts. Alas, it is on to the next one as I keep searching for a Gallardo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would call the company that serviced it in CA and see if they will verify what the km/miles were when they serviced it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You're looking at the bottom of the price range...what do you expect?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm going to be blunt here.
You are wasting your time sorting price low -> high. We have all done it, and we have all come to the same conclusion: they're all crap. A 2004, clean, egear car with no stories is going to be 85k at the minimum, and that probably has some miles on it. These cars you see for much under that are not what you want to buy. Its cheaper to buy the more expensive car for two reasons. First, you have resale. I'd rather buy a 100k car that I can resell for 100k rather than a 70k car that i cant resell for 50k. Two, you will have a car that works. You wont be chasing problems and replacing expensive parts for months until its sorted.

Gallardos, for whatever reason, attract a certain type of buyer. Yes, they attract car enthusiasts who genuinely like the car, and those are the people you see on this forum, but they are also the #1 exotic car for a demographic that you do not want to buy a car from. People who just want a flashy car to park in front of the club. People who have a lamborghini, a half a million dollar house, but live paycheck to paycheck and look at the sidewalk instead of the road when they're driving because they care about seeing strangers looking at them more than they care about anything else. People who bought the car with a 20% interest rate, 144 month loan and wear christian audigier shirts.This is the poster car for what most people online call "posers". Why is this relevant? Because these people are the previous owners of all of the cars that sit at the bottom of the price range. These people dont change the oil because oil changes dont get you clout on instagram, they treat them terribly and have no mechanical sympathy what-so-ever. I used to know a doctor who had two lamborghinis and couldnt afford tires for them. This isnt who you want to buy from. Get a PPI on these cars and get ready for your jaw to drop with how badly they've been maintained.

I spent many, many months looking for the right car and never in my life have I found so many salvage title or badly modified examples when car shopping. The market is misleading at first glance because it looks like the floor for a good car is 65 - 75k. Its not. The gallardo market has a unusually high percentage of junk cars listed for sale when compared with most other exotics. You'll thank yourself a thousand times if you just waited until you could spend a bit more money and get a nice one. Trust me, you will kick yourself if you wind up with a problem car that has you constantly placing $1000+ ebay orders for replacement parts. You wont be saving money at that point. Dont spend almost-gallardo money on a new stress factor.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You are wasting your time sorting price low -> high. We have all done it, and we have all come to the same conclusion: they're all crap. A 2004, clean, egear car with no stories is going to be 85k at the minimum, and that probably has some miles on it. These cars you see for much under that are not what you want to buy. Its cheaper to buy the more expensive car for two reasons. First, you have resale. I'd rather buy a 100k car that I can resell for 100k rather than a 70k car that i cant resell for 50k. Two, you will have a car that works. You wont be chasing problems and replacing expensive parts for months until its sorted.

Gallardos, for whatever reason, attract a certain type of buyer. Yes, they attract car enthusiasts who genuinely like the car, and those are the people you see on this forum, but they are also the #1 exotic car for a demographic that you do not want to buy a car from. People who just want a flashy car to park in front of the club. People who have a lamborghini, a half a million dollar house, but live paycheck to paycheck and look at the sidewalk instead of the road when they're driving because they care about seeing strangers looking at them more than they care about anything else. People who bought the car with a 20% interest rate, 144 month loan and wear christian audigier shirts.This is the poster car for what most people online call "posers". Why is this relevant? Because these people are the previous owners of all of the cars that sit at the bottom of the price range. These people dont change the oil because oil changes dont get you clout on instagram, they treat them terribly and have no mechanical sympathy what-so-ever. I used to know a doctor who had two lamborghinis and couldnt afford tires for them. This isnt who you want to buy from. Get a PPI on these cars and get ready for your jaw to drop with how badly they've been maintained.

I spent many, many months looking for the right car and never in my life have I found so many salvage title or badly modified examples when car shopping. The market is misleading at first glance because it looks like the floor for a good car is 65 - 75k. Its not. The gallardo market has a unusually high percentage of junk cars listed for sale when compared with most other exotics. You'll thank yourself a thousand times if you just waited until you could spend a bit more money and get a nice one. Trust me, you will kick yourself if you wind up with a problem car that has you constantly placing $1000+ ebay orders for replacement parts. You wont be saving money at that point. Dont spend almost-gallardo money on a new stress factor.
Dead on

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's really not a dealership's responsibility to understand and/or verify a vehicle's mileage history when it comes in for service. They take note of the odometer but it's not to run a history check with the VIN and verify the legitimacy of the number, more for their own and your own records for service at the time or for warranty purposes. If the seller of the car you mentioned can't explain in great detail WHY the car's mileage history appears to be so strange, it's a no brainer to stay away. The simple fact that they don't mention anything of the sort in the listing is already sketchy enough for me that I wouldn't even bother.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

You speak the truth! Good post!

·
Registered
103 Posts
KEEP in mind CANADA reports in KM..so 35KM, translated to MILES would be approx 21,700 US miles...so its correct...
the 4,XXX entry by7 Canada I bet is a fat finger from a clerk... happens all the time

Like I say a 1000000 times , CarFax is HORSE ****!! I dont trust a thing they put on there as well as ALL the things THEY dont put on their reports..

YOUR best reliability is to view actual service records that have dates and miles listed on them and of course to buy from a well know reputable dealer.

Like the old saying goes....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh, I'm definitely not purchasing this lamborghini. It just stood out to me because the price was so low for the mileage and it had a clean carfax. The market for Gallardo's and exotics in general is pretty limited right now so I end up seeing all the cars on sale end up being a page or two, especially since I am actively lookin to purchase one. I just thought this car with it's odometer rollback was interesting so I decided to share it with the forum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So if you have been following the forum recently, you've probably seen my thread on the gallardo with 50k and bizarre seats. I have decided NOT to purchase the vehicle following the advice of most of the people in that thread, so thank you. As I was continuing my search, I came across this 2009 Gallardo with 29k miles for $95k, newly listed. I think wow, what an incredible deal. Maybe the 09 Gallardos are simply going down. I go to the website (which is a dealership that sells cars with clean, rebuilt, and salvage titles, not a good sign) and check out the car. A carfax is available and it shows the vehicle as being clean, however, there is evidence of odometer rollback! The vehicle was in Quebec, Canada the first 10 years of it's life. Between 2008 and 2014, 35k miles were put on the vehicle and it was serviced at Automobiles Etcetera, which seems to be a reliable exotic dealership in Canada. Fast forward to 2015 and suddenly, the odometer is listed at 4,305 by the Quebec Motor Vehicle Department (their DMV I'm assuming), a 30k mile decrease! The car is then transported to the US in 2018 (florida specifically) and serviced multiple times at Lamborghini dealerships. The first service is done at Lamborghini Palm Beach and the mileage is listed at 15,058. It is serviced for the last time at the same dealership and mileage is listed as 15,582. Fast forward to now and the vehicle is sitting at 21,350 miles in Missouri. Quite a wild ride. Questionable upholstery is one thing, but Odometer rollback is not something I would touch with a 10 foot stick. I just find it interesting that it was serviced multiple times at dealerships and no flags were raised about the mileage. Do the Gallardo's not store mileage on the ECU? Was interesting in hearing your thoughts. Alas, it is on to the next one as I keep searching for a Gallardo.
A
Where in Missouri is this car? I am in Kansas City.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Having been on BOTH sides of the coin recently, I will share some advice. (in the past month I sold a car and bought one).

Just be ready for the deal when it comes. In a limited market, you cant mess around. I learned NOT to look for 'deals'. Hell, I even turned down a few 'great' buys for various reasons. Eg, one Huracan Spyder had a carfax incident of wheel hitting curb and reported damage to said wheel. I could have bought the car 15 under market, but I did not want a car with ANY story.

If you are looking for a G, I would buy the nicest one you can find. The spread in the market is everything from salvage cars to very nice ones. I think given the essentially bottomed out depreciation curve, you can buy a very nice example and keep it as such, and never lose any money on the car. (with reasonable mileage).

If you really want a 'driver' find the best condition car w/ 30+ and drive it!. I think 20k miles is the big split over/under in the market.

Good luck, but I would just rule out 'deals'. But you can search for cars for sale by owner and that will allow you more latitude at times (but it can also be a MUCH bigger hassle).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
144 Posts
I was thinking why the hard time finding anything but questionable cars, but YIKES the pickings are slim for LP below $120k (just from a quick search I just did)...below 100k is an exercise in futility. Only a few months ago there were pretty many but now it seems they suddenly got scarce. Looks like mid winter shopping paid off.... Spring is here and standing deals are gone. You gotta check daily and pounce as soon as one pops up !!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, that is so true, yes I wish I had waited a little longer and bought an 09 but it is what it is and it has cost me more than I was expecting due to the fact that previous owners treated the car so bad but I still love the car and I'm in my fifth year of ownership, which seems to be a bit of a record for a Supercar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking why the hard time finding anything but questionable cars, but YIKES the pickings are slim for LP below $120k (just from a quick search I just did)...below 100k is an exercise in futility. Only a few months ago there were pretty many but now it seems they suddenly got scarce. Looks like mid winter shopping paid off.... Spring is here and standing deals are gone. You gotta check daily and pounce as soon as one pops up !!
Yeah, it is unfortunate. My thought process was if I'm going to spend $130-140 on a clean very low mileage gallardo, i'd rather just wait and get an H. The pickings are definitely slim.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Agree 100% I passed on many of the Gallardos that were lower priced and seemed like “great” deals but went with one that was a bit higher priced with a good history and service records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts