Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm a junior in high school who's graduating early and taking a gap year before I head off to college. A couple years ago I decided that I would rather become an entrepreneur than hold a job forever. My aspirations started in elementary with the idea of going to college and ending up with a 6 figure job, but right at the start of high school I started thinking more, reading more and finding examples of successful entrepreneurs online. So at that point, I decided that I didn't just want to make 6 figures and I didn't just want to work for a company. At the same time I started to feel "trapped" in high school, part of the reason I'm graduating early, it just seems limiting to me and I'm afraid of college for the same reason, but I'm going to pursue some type of engineering degree with a concentration on nanotechnology since it seems to be a promising field with a lot of room. So my plan as of now is to get my degree, and come out with a job, all the while making connections and trying to figure out what kind of business venture I should pursue. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better to go to college on the east coast or west coast, the east coast schools seem to have better facilities, but the west coast has silicon valley and San Francisco. If anyone has any ideas on what I should be trying to do, that would be really helpful, especially what I can do in the short term for income apart from jobs, internships and freelance work.

I also want to add that I'm not looking to start the next Apple or Facebook or Google, and that whatever venture I end up with doesn't have to be related to my degree at all, I'm just looking for a funner, more exciting and more rewarding way to make money than having a job. I understand it takes a lot of hard work, but that's something I'm not going to mind if once everything starts rolling I can relax more than if I had a normal job working 8 hours a day until retirement. In my head, I plan on having more than one main venture and having the first one begin while I'm in college or maybe even before and then using whatever I get from that to fund something more significant later on.

Now for cars, the TT Gallardos have become iconic to me, I would own one over Koenigseggs and Bugattis given the chance. These cars are the most desirable material thing to me and that's why I'm on this forum. Also, I will be in Anaheim next week for a STEM robotics competition, so if anyone might point me to meetups where I might find someone willing to give me a ride in their Gallardo, that would be awsome :)

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this and provide me with some type of guidance.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,868 Posts
Delphi,

I'm not big on giving advice, but I would like to extend a friendly welcome. This is a great place to gain and share knowledge. I'm sure you will have an exciting future, just keep on focused on your goals, be humble and never be satisfied!
Aloha Russ

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ha! I'm all about advice simply because people who went farther than me have always given me great words to live by!

It seems the problem with college is that everyone attaches it to getting a job and their expectations are dashed when they start blowing interviews and not getting hired. Sure, college might give you skills (or maybe not), but just think of it as a license to grow in different ways than the peers you are leaving behind...a way to open doors...a chance to explore new circles...a way to exercise your mind before you really need to use it for something important. College ends up as a life-wicket to pass that lets you join yet another club of people with something in common (some other big milestone fraternities are non-virgins, married people, people with kids, career clubs, veterans, "rich people," and smokers, haha). Join as many clubs as you want, but none of them are free of investment on your part.

Which brings me to the advice I once got that we tend to be who we hang out with. A hard question to ask yourself at this point is who do you want to be and what kinds of people are you attracted to. If you're dreaming entrepreneurial-ly, no doubt you'll need to convince people who are smarter than you to work for you and you're not going to do that if you're hanging out with dumba$$es. College might actually be more important to learn how to talk and influence people in better ways than you can now. Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just a quick note on college selection. If you go down that route pick a school that has a strong research program in your area of interest. If that is nanotech, find that place. In addition to your coursework you will rub elbows with venture capitalists and potential business partners. Do not pick a school based on geography or "reputation". Find the schools that are making contributions to your area of interest. Example:

http://cnse.albany.edu/Home.aspx

Cincy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies so far. I actually just visited CNSE at Albany a week ago and their facilities are really impressive, but my worries about location are stopping me from wanting to go there. To be clear my first ventures won't have anything to do with my degree and my chances of employment out of college will probably be higher coming out of UCB or a place like Drexel than Albany from what I've heard. Networking wise I feel like Albany wouldn't be very good unless I took trips to NYC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts