2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,471 Posts
Great job! It’s like getting a new car.

Reactions: HonkyLips

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I removed the front and rear bumper grills, engine cover air intake grills as well as the drivers door key cover and the side mirrors. If I do it again I would at least loosen off the bumpers to make it easier to get the edges. Took about a week, off and on ... probably 35+ hours. I could shave a bit off of that now especially if I had full time help. Some of the larger panels really require an extra set of hands to prevent the material from getting all bunched up or getting damaged and creating more work . No previous experience at this scale, I had done a roof on our Evora but that's about it. I have 40 years of tinkering, "Macgivering", fiberglass design, body work and painting, some upholstery experience etc...none of it professionally. I probably made it more difficult by wrapping the material around edges more than is recommended on the you tube clips I watched. Seems like most of the experienced installers are just rolling over the leading edge and trimming. The material wants to pull back and wrinkle when its bunched up at the corners so less is probably more. I tried, but after a lifetime of over building everything it was hard to stop myself. One important note is to post heat all the stressed areas immediately after install to prevent pull back, the heating releases the materials original memory of being flat and allows it to retain its new shape. Every manufacturer has its own temp...this material is thicker than most so the recommended temp is 230F most are 190F. Kinda scary but really needs to be done to keep it from letting go.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,243 Posts
Great job. What color/brand is this wrap?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Nice also, don't have any experience with satin products, 25% thinner though ... should make it easier to apply.
Thanks for the thinness heads up. My problem with my current gloss wrap is the orange peel you can see up close. Inoztec (known for less peel) has a Papaya Orange that matches my current hue, but the install reviews are very mixed. So I figured going satin over gloss would be the route to take.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thinness heads up. My problem with my current gloss wrap is the orange peel you can see up close. Inoztec (known for less peel) has a Papaya Orange that matches my current hue, but the install reviews are very mixed. So I figured going satin over gloss would be the route to take.
Had that problem with some black I used on the roof of our Evora. Only concern with satin would be possible scratching on install? The Oracal is quite glossy, very nice metallic and paint smooth plus sticks like stink. Just a pain in some areas cause its so thick. Again, don't have a whole lot of experience with different brands but this stuff looks amazing and it's pretty much a spot on match to Lambo Arancio.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Had that problem with some black I used on the roof of our Evora. Only concern with satin would be possible scratching on install? The Oracal is quite glossy, very nice metallic and paint smooth plus sticks like stink. Just a pain in some areas cause its so thick. Again, don't have a whole lot of experience with different brands but this stuff looks amazing and it's pretty much a spot on match to Lambo Arancio.
Ok, I will definitely consider trying gloss again under another brand like Oracal, since you don't seem to have the orange peel issue like my Hexis.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Wow, this pics makes it look like a super smooth finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts