Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello family,

I have been enjoying the pleasure of owning a beautiful black 04 manual Gallardo for a almost two years.

So far, I love the car. I have installed the Superleggera exhaust and I besides that, there's little more I would touch.

The only thing I am still unsatisfied about is head-unit. Especially the first iteration, with the very low resolution screen, is completely useless.

For most of people, this is not a problem because the real soundtrack is the V10 behind the seats. But I personally value having access to a "real" navigation system, and listening music online while driving.

So I came up with an idea, and I wanted to pitch it to you guys, to see if the whole thing would have traction in the community.

I've been looking for many different options for replacing RNS-E, while keeping stock looks, which is my main requirement.

I've explored the idea of:
- Plugging a Raspberry Pi to the video input
- Replace with an Android-based chinese headunit made for the Audi A4

Unfortunately, none of them really check all the boxes, in my opinion. They all have drawbacks.

Recently, however, I found some guys called Workshop 12, which do an amazing job and which could be the perfect solution to having a stock looking modern replacement of the RNS-E.

Before I go ahead, I have to say that I am NOT affiliated to these guys in any way, nor I have purchased any of their products. So my opinion is purely based on what I've seen online.

So what these guys do are 3D-printed bezels & electronics to allow integrating Samsung Galaxy tablets in different car models.

They develop their own bezel design, and the good thing about it is that the end result really looks stock! They also develop the electronics needed to integrate the climate control unit in the tablet itself, leading to a much cleaner center console. Their electronics also include an amplifier and USB interfaces. This is their webpage, you can check their work:

https://workshoptwelve.com

And here are some of their products:

Subaru WRX 2005:

Subaru WRX 2015 render

Nissan 370Z:

Nissan 350Z:

In my opinion, the design of the center console in our cars lends itself to having something like this done! I can imagine getting rid of the climate controls and the head unit, bringing switch unit down and leaving the upper part available for integrating the tablet.

Even though these guys currently specialize in japanese cars, I can imagine they would be interested in helping our community. From what I've read, they bring projects alive by working with a funding methodology similar to Kickstarter.

Right now, they are raising funds to develop the kit for the 2015 Subaru WRX. You can see the different milestones/steps of the project here:

https://workshoptwelve.com/15-wrxsti

So my question for the community is:

Would you guys be interested in funding something similar for our Gallardos? I am totally in for that, but alone I cannot do much, that's why I wanted to check if this idea would have acceptance in the community.

If I see that there's interest, I will write an email to these guys, showing this thread to them, and asking them whether they would be interested in doing something for us. If they like the idea, then I suppose they can develop an initial render similar to the WRX project, to have a rough idea of how the final product would look like.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks for making it this far, and I hope the idea will receive a lot of positive feedback from you guys!

Cheers and be safe,

Fer

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, I never thought about the digital cluster because I don't particularly dislike traditional gauges. That being said, the possibility of having a lot of information there is quite attractive. Something to consider!

Regarding the pricing, by looking at their WRX project for which they are currently raising money, I can see that for $200 you get:
- Bezel and cradle for the tablet
- Plug & play climate control replacement
- Screws, zipties et al.
You also get the module MK1.5 Electronics (controller), which is plug & play. It contains:
- 100W 2 channel amp
- Factory harness plugs
- Diverse cables (RCA, USBs, grounding, isolation, etc.)

From what I see, the only thing that is missing is the tablet itself, and the work to put everything together. They claim everything is plug and play... but we know there are different degrees of plugging and playing.

All in all, though, I don't think it's a bad package if done correctly. What I like is that the design of the whole setup looks OEM. That's essential for me.

I foresee a problem, though: volume controls. Our Gallardo does not have steering wheel controls, which would result in relying solely on soft buttons on the screen. This is suboptimal, but solutions can be designed.

For once, I am somewhat confident that it would be possible to fit an Audi R8 steering wheel with remote controls. The design of the wheel is virtually the same as the Gallardo, plus the controls.

An alternative would be to use the RNS-E controls from the R8, which are detached from the headunit, and then have these guys embedding them in their bezel design + implementing a controller for the tablet.

It is a lot of IFs... but I think the end result could be nice. I might send them an email tonight, and ask them what do they think about the whole idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If they replace the whole unit as well as the climate controls, move the windows and lights control bellow the units in their original design or make new one frame that can house the original functions will be something i will choose .

The cost is $200 but how many needs to be in to get that price ?

I am sure others are interested but wants to know what will be the average cost if say 10 of us got together on this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My information was wrong anyway... $200 is the initial deposit, but the final cost is around $500-$600 by looking at their other products.

That being said, I agree that we need a few people onboard to push this. That's the whole point of their deposit-based system. From the WRX project, I can see the following:

"We require 6 deposits to fund Phase 2 (3D Laser Scanning)"
"We require 12 additional deposits to fund Phase 5 (3D Modeling)"

I understand that the 3D laser scanning and the 3D modelling is done through some partners... hence the need to raise money to be able to complete them. The other of six phases are done "in-house".

So that's my guesstimate: we need around 18 people to make it happen. Potentially a few more for phase 6 (Electronics Research).

I would definitely be interested. If someone else is, just write a comment here, so that we can organize a group buy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Android Head Unit has changed my life !!

Same design as OEM, rear view caméra bluetooth calls ...
You Can have all yours favorites apps (Waze,Spotify,TV apps...)
Android auto works too.
And you Can add tires pression sensors
See the post initiated by Wrex

You Can Root it if needed and flash with other roms (see on XDA forum)
I'm runing Hal9k rom and it's the best rom i tried.
Envoyé de mon SM-A405FN en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts