Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound weird, but with all the g engine failures as of late have me a little nervous! I'm not driving my 07 hard at all. New fluids added a few months ago, only 11k miles, sounds great etc. I'm just concerned that of the failures that have happened that no one was racing just normal driving and then wham!! Engine parts all over the road. If mine were to ever go no way im dropping 25k for another motor.

Just thinking out loud....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not aware of "all the g engine failures as of late". I know there was a post from about a year ago about an engine failure, but aside from that have there been a bunch I am missing? Seems very rare to me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm with EvanK, I haven't heard of a buncha engine failures recently . Gallardos are some of the most reliable supercars around and their engines can last 100,000+ miles (Huracans as well). As long as your car is well maintained and you're not slamming into the rev-limiter, you'll be fine. Enjoy your car with confidence and remember that they need to stretch their legs from time to time :cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I just was reading about two or three in the last month or so. I was hearing that the rods were a weak spot in the engines, if you guys don't think its an issue cool

·
Registered
74 Posts
Enjoy your car with confidence and remember that they need to stretch their legs from time to time :cool:
Agree. Just like you can over drive a car, you can also under drive it. Going easy and shifting at 3k rpm everywhere is not best either. The peak of the torque curve is up there, in the 5-7k region, and you need to accelerate the car in that region where the engine has enough torque to not bog down and stress the main bearings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah I just was reading about two or three in the last month or so. I was hearing that the rods were a weak spot in the engines, if you guys don't think its an issue cool
What about those who twin turbo their cars to 1000-1500+ hp? How much of the engine internals need to be replaced. I hear they leave the transmissions alone.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Rod/bearing failure is common on the 5.0L (2004-2008), best thing you can do is to complete the oil level check process every time you fill up with fuel. They are well known to be oil burners.

One could presume there is a reason Lamborghini replaced the 5.0L. You don't generally see an engine change along with a facelift of an existing model.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Yes they are oil consumers and the owners manual says just that. The problem is the dry sump configuration causes many people to fill the oil wrong or maintain it at an incorrect level so if there are engine failures it is most likely due to that issue. There were many of these cars made and I’ve heard one story of failure but that is probably not unique in the car world. Owners: check your owners manual as to how to check the oil level! It is not like a normal engine’s process.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes they are oil consumers and the owners manual says just that. The problem is the dry sump configuration causes many people to fill the oil wrong or maintain it at an incorrect level so if there are engine failures it is most likely due to that issue. There were many of these cars made and I’ve heard one story of failure but that is probably not unique in the car world. Owners: check your owners manual as to how to check the oil level! It is not like a normal engine’s process.
Very good points, the process is equally "confusing" on the LP 5.2L as well.

I think the difference is that the 5.2L can make it from oil change to oil change (at a dealer etc) without burning oil down to a dangerous level.
Whereas the 5.0L drinks enough oil that one can quickly begin to starve and overheat the rod ends at the crankshaft well before the next oil change is due.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What about those who twin turbo their cars to 1000-1500+ hp? How much of the engine internals need to be replaced. I hear they leave the transmissions alone.
On the 5.0L, rods and pistons are required around 800whp.

On the 5.2L, stock engines are handling 1400whp

·
Registered
408 Posts
This may sound weird, but with all the g engine failures as of late have me a little nervous! I'm not driving my 07 hard at all. New fluids added a few months ago, only 11k miles, sounds great etc. I'm just concerned that of the failures that have happened that no one was racing just normal driving and then wham!! Engine parts all over the road. If mine were to ever go no way im dropping 25k for another motor.

Just thinking out loud....
The G engine is actually pretty solid some of the surrounding bits not so much, but if you baby it that will do more damage than high rev shifting over time. Shifting at 2-2500 puts a massive load in the drive train not to mention all the fuel that's dumped in the system it can't properly burn. Not sure what you mean by no driving it hard? this is not a honda accord. I have taken mine to 170 dozens of times no problem and solid as a can be, have taken it to just below the rev limiter in 6th a few times at 190-192 again no problems. It an 04 with now 35K miles and only mechanical issue was an AC compressor-normal stuff. I know three people who destroyed G engines and all three did stuff to it was never intended for, if you want a race car, build one from the ground up-A G is not a race car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pre LP cars do break rods. They are sintered metal contruction and cold split. Lots of posts on this. It's pretty random in road cars. The only way to ensure longevity is an engine rebuild with with forged rods. LP cars have pretty decent OEM rods. Many early pre LP GT3 race cars blew engines in the first year; the rest had new rods fitted as a modification. I gues you could just drive the car like an SUV but then what's the point of owning a Lambo.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Like I said I know three people that destroyed their G engines, two of three did hack mods that to nobody surprise did not last. The other one which I witnessed was playing rev battle at stop light with an aventador hitting the rev limiter over and over until an oil fitting let go pumping out all of the oil in seconds followed by little bits of scrap metal-quite a sight and sound. That ended up being a $30K rev battle lol

·
Vendor
2,417 Posts
Not common, but it's common to be confused on how to check the oil for many that own these cars. Everyone show follow the manual and just check it everytime you come home before turning it off. I always prefer a lower owner car vs higher owner, even though it's only takes one owner to screw it up :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not common, but it's common to be confused on how to check the oil for many that own these cars. Everyone show follow the manual and just check it everytime you come home before turning it off. I always prefer a lower owner car vs higher owner, even though it's only takes one owner to screw it up :)
100% true can fix stupid

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
There is a reason they re designed and upgraded the engine and changed the make up of the rods and bearings.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I believe you meant to check the oil while hot before putting the car away. You don't want to check while the engine is running, but within a minute after turning it off.

·
Vendor
2,417 Posts
I believe you meant to check the oil while hot before putting the car away. You don't want to check while the engine is running, but within a minute after turning it off.
Yep, always hot and up to temp. I've seen youtube videos where people start a cold car and let it idle for 10 min and then check it. My advice, just check in on the way home before you turn it off

·
Registered
142 Posts
Been through once --> forced my self to study the whole engine --> Took me two long years --> now I can change my crankshaft by M Y S E L F --> A G A I N and A G A I N and AGAIN...

One thing for sure, You can't call yourself a true GALLARDO enthusiast if you can't change your crankshaft (lol).

I wish that I have enough time to just build a few Broken engines as a backup (for all us), just in case someone needs it. Maybe next year since I already have all the leftover parts including Titanium CONRODs and a set of Pistons. Just need to find a blown motor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In that case Im certainly just a novice!! LOL,LOL Ok I know who to call in case I need one!

I cant remember who but someone just blew their motor a week or so ago

1 - 20 of 27 Posts