Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will gladly buy a drink for anyone who can tell me a way to reset the damn airbag light on my diablo 6.0 withought the use of a shops diagnostic computer.

thanks in advance
///MK

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You can give this a try, it does sometimes reset the idiot lights.

(1) Start your car and RIGHT AS IT Starts and I MEAN RIGHT AS IT STARTS,
have it ready and GO in first gear, nothing fast just start driving it right
this will clear most of your idiot lights.

The other option that WILL for sure clear it, believe it or not is 400 yes 400 cycles of on/off with your ignition..........this could lead to caarpel tunnel syndrome......but it will work from the factory if you do not want to bring it in

Good Luck! :wave:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You can give this a try, it does sometimes reset the idiot lights.

(1) Start your car and RIGHT AS IT Starts and I MEAN RIGHT AS IT STARTS,
have it ready and GO in first gear, nothing fast just start driving it right away, the minute your car starts get it rolling...this will clear most of your idiot lights.

The other option that WILL for sure clear it, believe it or not is 400 yes 400 cycles of on/off with your ignition..........this could lead to carpel tunnel syndrome......but it will work from the factory if you do not want to bring it in

Good Luck! :wave:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by 400 on offs you mean not turning it over but just turning it until the (electic) power kicks on?
///MK

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
That is correct just electric cycles on/off, do not need to start the car.

What caused it to come on?

The most common cause is by adjusting your stering wheel up/down in/out WHILE the car is in gear and moving forward at more than 5 miles per hour, this will cause the air bag sensor to sense an impact and light come on, showing a false activation.........there also have been some rare incidents where the airbag has deployed... :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HMM. Adjusting the steering wheel while rolling is something I am sure I have done several times in the car. I have yet to find the sweet spot in the driving position and it drive me nuts (I am a little impatient by nature) . If the 400 on 400 off thing works and doesnt kill the battery/electronics, send me an address. Will a bottle of single malt do?
///MK

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It will wor, I just think your wrist and hand will go numb......keep in mind.....
YOU DO NOT have to do ALL 400 at the same time....

The factory has set the comp0uter at 400 key revelotions to CLEAR all idiot lights from the computer....I guess they determined that if you did not bring your car in by 400 starts then it was not worth retaining the info in the on-board computer....hence clearing the lights.......

Maybe you can hire a neighbor kid and pay him 10 cents a turn......

Good luck..no need to send anything just glad to help..let me know.... :wave:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got used to my light - it was my fault anyway. Then one day I needed to see the dealer anyway and got it turned off. It will work fine even if the light is on but it may also be defective and you might want to get that checked. You are probably worth the effort.

aehaas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Raising the stakes to a box of fine cigars.
I twisted that key at least 1,000 times during the last day or so. damn light is still on someone be my hero or at least point me to someone in the mid atlantic region that can reset this light please :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I would say that you may have a short in the sending unit or switch, I KNOW for a fact on the 01 6.0 400 key revelotions clears all computer info and idiot lights. Dont know what else to tell you? :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
MK - Why not just drop it by Criswell for a minute? I'd guess they still have all their computer stuff. If not, a few minutes at FoW should have you gone.

For what it's worth, I have a 99 Workshop Manual here. I just looked up resetting the SDM and the only procedure listed is to connect their laptop to the OBD-II connector and use their proprietary interface & software to do it. Same with determining the fault code. I have a list of the fault codes and what to do for them, but no way shown to get the code besides the computer. I doubt the 6.0 is different from the 99 in that way.

-- Charles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Charles I hade the computer at FOW for 2 weeks and they could not figure it out.
can you foward me a number for criswell?? do you know a name
thanks
///MK

·
Registered
108 Posts
Criswell Lamborghini
503 Quince Orchard Rd
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
(301) 948-0880

Not sure about the contact - this is old info from my records. If worse comes to worse, Peter Grenier can take you there. He and I stopped in a while back to look around.

You might check with FoW and make sure they were using the right hardware. Everything connects to the OBD-II connector on the Diablo, but when you're working on the airbag or ABS there's a different adapter that needs to be in between the laptop and the OBD-II connector or it won't work - maybe that's their problem.

The regular interface, called PC-CAN is part #969190048 and the LDAS software was part #969190051. That's just for working on the motor. If you're working on the ABS or Airbag you need the #964300001 ABS / Airbag Diagnostics Kit.

Since FoW is new, they may have the newer versions. The PC-CAN got updated to part #969190056 and the LDAS got updated to #969190057. As far as I know, though, you still need the ABS/Airbag adapter to work on those parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THanks for the info. I called Criswell and they no longer have the computer for this. I cannot win. FOW still doesnt.I guess I have to go to jersey unless some can steer me elsewhere :(
///MK

·
Registered
108 Posts
One last thing to try before you head for Jersey - call Ken McCay at Boston Sportscar Co in Weston, MA - (781) 647-7300. Boston Sportscar is an independent shop that Ken and his son Darin run, but Ken is also the lead technical director for Lamborghini in the US now (has been for a couple of years, I believe.) He should be able to work with either Criswell or FoW to get them the proper diagnostic gear (even if temporarily) and get you fixed up. Might even be able to tell you a workaround to do yourself.

At any rate, I've talked to Ken a couple of times about issues and he's very cooperative and easy to deal with. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Any other fresh information on this subject? I made the mistake of adjusting the steering wheel while the engine was running. Boom, light on.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
ive been there.. :cool: ...that light drove me crazy... :eek:

but i went to an indepent shop....and i think all they did was unplug the units for a while and then reatach them...

i know for a fact they didnt use a computerl laptop or otherwise. ...i was there the whole time...

i even had the chek engine lingts on becouse i turned the rear pipes to affolter style pipes.... but they just come on when u start the car. then they turn off after a minute.....thank god....... :rolleyes:

any way i hope it works out for u...

i will ask the guy who did my car......but im not sure he works there any more....i think the place closed down...if not i will send u a pm
:wave:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts