Lamborghini Talk banner

Waht Oil should I use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory recommends Agip non-synthetic oil for 2004 Gallardos.
I was wondering if I should change to synthetic 5w40 Mobil-1 at my 1500mi service.
I plan on running 3000mi per year and I have to run at a racetrack at least once!

What do the readers and owners do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I noted that the dealer in Vancouver, BC (Weissach) uses Mobil 1 0w-40 exclusively. It was what they used when they changed the oil in my two friend's 05' Gallardos.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Forget about all this oil stuff, Alan Haas made some interesting posting about it, no matter what brand you take, 0W30 is 0W30.
The factory recommend Agip because it's an italian company and they have a contract with them for many, many years, I think this goes back to 1970 or even longer, I have a sales brochure of the Miura where already Agip is recommended, the entire last page is Agip advertisment.

After my Countach engine is done we filled Sunoco 10W40.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have always used Agip on my lamborghinis, simply because thats what the factory recomended, and I trust they know what they are talking about, and I have always been satisfied with it. I've used Agip on everything form isleros and miuras that my family owned when I was growing up- to the murcielagos and gallardos I own. I would highly recomend it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
raymond said:
Forget about all this oil stuff, Alan Haas made some interesting posting about it, no matter what brand you take, 0W30 is 0W30.
The factory recommend Agip because it's an italian company and they have a contract with them for many, many years, I think this goes back to 1970 or even longer, I have a sales brochure of the Miura where already Agip is recommended, the entire last page is Agip advertisment.

After my Countach engine is done we filled Sunoco 10W40.
Raymond,
I think you need to reread some of Dr. Haas' posts...especially his very detailed analysis on f-chat. I think you will find that it is the opposite, that one 0w-30 is not the same as another 0w-30, and the only way to know for certain, is to get the actual data specs from the manufacturer. The "0w-30" spec on the bottle is only a very general specification, and gives quite a bit of leeway for the manufacturer. Now the big debate, is whether any of this is truly significant to engine life and durability.

Dave

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
DO you think Agip makes their oil specially for Lamborghini :D :D :D

That's pure business, like some manufacturers choose the first tires from one year to another from Michelin to Dunlop and then to Bridgestone, just because they got a better price.

BTW Agip Synt 2000 is synthetic :wave: I used it in the Countach and Jalpa for some time but switched to Motorex of Switzerland and Sunoco now.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I agree it is PURE BUSINESS....there may be nothing wrong with the oil but IT IS PURE BUSINESS!!!

Porsche uses Mobil 1 and they seem to outlast other engines as daily drivers!!! Just like tires ....use a good quality and leave the business hype for commercials!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 3 Italian motorcycles (all MV Agusta's) and Agip is the recommended oil however I still use a different brand of oil. Agip has a contract with many high end Italian machinery. I have over 20,000 miles on one of my bikes (which is considered high miles for a motorcycle) and it runs as good, if not, better than new. I also use a different brand for my G-car. As long as you use the recommended weight and change the oil regularly the brand should not be a factor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am currently using Red Line 5W-20 in my wife's Murcielago. The engine has never been as quite and smooth, vibration free. I supposed one could actually complain about this.

Also, same oil in the Maybach 57, still using 0W-20 Mobil One in the Maranello while the oil lasts.

aehaas

·
Registered
210 Posts
aehaas said:
I am currently using Red Line 5W-20 in my wife's Murcielago. The engine has never been as quite and smooth, vibration free. I supposed one could actually complain about this.

Also, same oil in the Maybach 57, still using 0W-20 Mobil One in the Maranello while the oil lasts.

aehaas

Good choice. Red Line uses Group IV base oil. It's a "true" synthetic, and at this stage of the game it's the highest quality there is possible. A lot of "synthetics" out there on the market use Group III, which is not a true synthetic, but just a highly refined mineral oil. Castrol Syntec is one of them that comes to mind. Most of the major manufacturers use Group III.

Manufacturers that use Group IV are going to be expensive, but are better. Red Line, Royal Purple and Amsoil are three that come to mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts