Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frankly, it isn't that easy and its not that hard.

The best stereo in my G is the glorious V10 in the back. However, I wanted a backup camera and didn't like the cluttered look of a cassette with a stereo input for my Iphone. So onward I went looking for an easy way to get this in my car.

There is no Lamborghini specific car harness. Car stereo places will usually have no idea what fits in the car.

But, there is hope.

The closest car to my 2005 is a 2002-2006 Audi A4/S4 with a Symphony II head unit without Bose and without REAR speakers.

If you buy the harness and antenna adapter (read on before you buy the antenna connector) for that Audi, you will be pretty close. There is no direct plug and play adaptor for our cars. You will have to dig around and splice for, at least, one wire. If you want illumination control, you will have to dig and splice for two wires.

Don't be fooled by the CAN harnesses available for Audi's. Although the Gallardo has a CAN system (this is how the radio station is displayed on the dash eg) Audi's have RCA outputs for an external amplifier which the Gallardo's don't have.

I don't have the Lamborghini navigation unit. If you do, and still want to add an aftermarket radio, then your system is more likely to have an Audi RNS-E navigation radio. The rest you will have to do the research like I did for the Symphony II.

I won't go into too many details, I'll try to stay Lamborghini specific and I'll try to show you the steps that made me scratch my head, so they can help you problem solve your system.

You will need four Audi removal tools. And with the harness you buy for that audi, it will have two harness. As I found out later, with much work and research, you will only use one of those harnesses.

With those audi removal tools, they kept slipping out of the slots when I tried to pull the radio out. I found out, after pulling the radio out by partially disassembling the dash, that if you put a small downward bend in the tools, they were more likely to stay in the radio and letting you pull it out.

The curved side of the tool goes towards the middle of the radio. When you pull on those tool/tabs, the radio will, not easily for me, come out.

The money shot. :p

You will see that the back of the radio has three harnesses. One is for the CAN system directly(the top one), the other has the speaker outputs, and the other has the power wires. NOTE that there is no ignition or illumination wire on ANY of these harnesses. There are other wires that were completely undecipherable to me. I assume they somehow interact with the CAN system.

Also of BIG NOTE, there are TWO antenna hook ups to the Symphony II.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There were many wires that could not be used in the aftermarket harness I bought. To name a few, there is no power antenna, ign, illum, rear speakers, steering wheel, etc...

I didn't want a bunch of loose wires so I removed the tabs from the harness I wouldn't use.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found my ignition wire here, in one of the harnesses to the window switches:

As I wanted an illumination wire as well, so I don't get blinded at night, I went off of the right rear side marker. I tapped this wire before to put LED lights in my engine compartment. As I'm adding a rearview camera, I was already in that vicinity.

Labeling is nice incase I ever have to go back in and change something.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next is the antenna. Most shops will sell you something like this:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

It won't work the best. Apparently our cars have multiple antenna's and there are multiple inputs that the radio deciphers to make sure it uses the best and strongest signal.

I was only able to find it in one place. The guys at enfig.

You need this:

Next, hook it all up and enjoy. You will also have to make some sort of dash finishing pieces to make it all look pretty. That is my last phase.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Nice job as always. U getting a cf bezel I presume? Bluetooth?

I have not had the desire to do this since I am used to backing up after 3 yrs. it was scary at first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Next is the antenna. Most shops will sell you something like this:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

It won't work the best. Apparently our cars have multiple antenna's and there are multiple inputs that the radio deciphers to make sure it uses the best and strongest signal.

I was only able to find it in one place. The guys at enfig.

You need this:

Next, hook it all up and enjoy. You will also have to make some sort of dash finishing pieces to make it all look pretty. That is my last phase.

Just wonder is there anyone out there fit this one to gallardo yet?:wave:
Lamborghini Gallardo Autoradio DVD GPS, Gallardo Radio DVD

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job as always. U getting a cf bezel I presume? Bluetooth?

I have not had the desire to do this since I am used to backing up after 3 yrs. it was scary at first.
Thanks man! :D

I wanted to get the MACarbon bezel, but it won't fit the head unit I bought. It's huge! It completely fills the vertical space, I only need to fabricate the sides. And yes, it has bluetooth. It was WWWAAAYYY cool to hear my music start playing without any wires!

I'll post some pics.

Just wonder is there anyone out there fit this one to gallardo yet?:wave:
Lamborghini Gallardo Autoradio DVD GPS, Gallardo Radio DVD
All you need are the input schematics to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What unit did you buy? I just bought the new Kenwood DNN990HD and use the MaCarbon Carbon surround, came out well....
Wow it look nice. Does it work with reversing camera? How the wiring Can be connected to original wiring like speaker microphone etc?

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not to hiJack this thread but to answer your question yes, the rear view camera works great that I installed. I used the Boyo slimline that attaches to the license plate. Per the microphone, yep, it has it's own and uses voice commands and also allows me to use Siri on my iPhone. This unit will read my texts to me as well as allow me to compose messages so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

I'll be honest, I won't use 90% of what this unit offers but I wanted an OEM look with Modern navigation and interfaces.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What unit did you buy? I just bought the new Kenwood DNN990HD and use the MaCarbon Carbon surround, came out well....
I bought the JVC kw-av61bt. I read too many reviews about the combo Kenwood/garmin unit being buggy. I love garmin navigation and already have it in the car.

And this thread was for those that wanted to put an aftermarket radio in their car. There were NO threads showing how to do this.

Unfortunately for me, the very nice MACarbon piece won't fit my application. :(

·
Registered
970 Posts
They have updated the DNN990HD twice firmware wise, runs like a charm. The best part is that it has two USB cables so you can infinitely update it and it's wifi enabled as well. The JVC looks to be a solid unit as well ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Obviously you haven't been reading this thread.....
i just got a car about a month now but i like this forum people here are very helpful and kind helping every issue. Specially John , Russ as well as other on this forum.

Thanks you all and happy driving.

Have great week end.
Cheer
Ian

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Ian, that's what the forum is for sir. I have been on the Ferrari forum for several years and the community is pretty amazing. We have a smaller community here but cohesive none the less.

I'm enjoying my Gallardo that I purchased two months ago and will be of help to Anyone who asks....and I am already Very well versed in maintenance and modifications of these vehicles already. Like the TCU is exactly the same as that of the Ferrari F430 ;)

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Ian, that's what the forum is for sir. I have been on the Ferrari forum for several years and the community is pretty amazing. We have a smaller community here but cohesive none the less.

I'm enjoying my Gallardo that I purchased two months ago and will be of help to Anyone who asks....and I am already Very well versed in maintenance and modifications of these vehicles already. Like the TCU is exactly the same as that of the Ferrari F430 ;)

Cheers,
David
Thanks David

I really love my Gallardo, it very nice car. And want to change orang calipers not sure how much will it be? after that will consider Kenwood DNN990HD. coz at the moment there is not available here yet. you make me tempted hehehe

Take care god Bless us all.

Ian

1 - 20 of 71 Posts