Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my radio/navigation system for my 2006 Gallardo with a Kenwood DNX unit. The built in navigation on the radio works great, everything is perfect except for the camera. Is there a kit that needs to be purchased to make the factory backup camera work? When I go in reverse it tells me on the screen so it recognizes the system, but no camera visual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The installation team that did the radio are trying to tell me there's no way to run the factory camera to the radio. That I'd need to get an aftermarket backup cam.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The installation team that did the radio are trying to tell me there's no way to run the factory camera to the radio. That I'd need to get an aftermarket backup cam.
false. I have seen Frank @ Raging Bull used the stock camera on a Performante work in an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not speaking from experience here, but anything's possible if you don't mind cutting the factory connectors off and doing some soldering.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I've heard the same thing. You can't use the OEM camera with an aftermarket kit?
Yes, of course you can use the OEM camera.

You just need an "overboard"' which is a piggy-back pc board that sits on top of the radio, and provides the video logic to the new deck. That is assuming your cheapo deck does not have the proper AV inputs ( or at least video-in) and logic built into it already.

Any COMPETENT installer knows how to do it. If yours does not, run away from the schmuck.

You will be splicing wire....

·
Registered
749 Posts
That is assuming your cheapo deck does not have the proper AV inputs ( or at least video-in) and logic built into it already.

There is some assuming going on here. Lol. The Kenwood DNX series decks are good quality, and definitely not cheap if you pay full retail. They are crazy slow to load up when you first turn the car on though.....

BTW, autographpros, I installed a new Pioneer nav deck with all the goodies as well, a great upgrade, as the newest OEM still misses out on BT audio, App radio, etc, and I've been told the speaker phone quality is the best anyone's heard when they talk to me on it.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the 8" alpine installed in my LP few wks ago..the wire runs under the parking brake..the guys at car toys just used a tester to see which one it was..think it was like 4 wires in the bundle..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Why not just get an aftermarket camera for a hundred bucks instead of hacking up factory parts. You can probably sell the factory camera and break even.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Why not just get an aftermarket camera for a hundred bucks instead of hacking up factory parts. You can probably sell the factory camera and break even.
:confused: How do you propose he sell his OEM camera? It is embedded in wing.

Please explain.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
So how can this be done? Link to the "overboard" needed? Thanks fellas
If you are not familiar with this, find an installer who is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
OMG! really? if u have an aftermarket radio that has a rear camera input..all u need to do is SPLICE INTO THE WIRE THAT RUNS THE CAMERA "ITS UNDERNEATH THE E-BRAKE!!" I watch the installer at car toys do it in like 5 minutes! trust me this is not here say...I watch them do it..only thing else it can be if you did that..is that ur radio is not compatible with the stock camera..which if its a kenwood/alpine/pioneer I would be shocked..

·
Registered
438 Posts
the installers are full of ****...they just didn't want to trouble shoot which wire it is by testing each wire..or they was scared to take the tunnel apart to get to the wires..either way its not hard..if you know how to use a ohm meter u can do it yourself..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys need some help.. So behind my kenwood unit is the factory back up camera wire. It is a fiber optic wire and the kenwood unit obviously wont accept it. Where can I splice into this fiber optic wire to get the correct wires to work with the Kenwood unit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts