Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Could add KW suspension lift on the rear... if they make versions small enough to fit the 4 rear coilovers.

It would raise the car's overall ground clearance, but reduce the approach angle on the nose.

·
Registered
11,933 Posts
Would a suspension shop be the best place for people to go to if they can’t install this themselves?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone for the input and yes you're right Bruce, a fake trip injury with mats would be likely!

FYI I'm a DIYer with construction but not cars. Too dumb with cars. So it sounds like more than one of you think air suspension is the solution - and correct me if I'm wrong - the air suspension would rise the entire car higher at all times?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input and yes you're right Bruce, a fake trip injury with mats would be likely!

FYI I'm a DIYer with construction but not cars. Too dumb with cars. So it sounds like more than one of you think air suspension is the solution - and correct me if I'm wrong - the air suspension would rise the entire car higher at all times?
what ever you do. You can also lift it in static, because all 6 coilovers are adjustable.
If you lift all shocks, then the actual approach angle of the bumper would be the same.

Also you’re limited by shock length.

But it might work if you lift the front and the rear like 1/2 inch in static, then use hydraulic lift in front. This all at the expense of a little higher look.

And get wheels aligned back, of course.
Almost no money requested to try out. 😛

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is there much room in the wheel wells to put larger wheels on her? Just a thought.
There might be but I figure given the price of our tires and rims (and they only have 500 miles) for that cost, I could probably pay for just about any lift system or close to it. Though if I didn't like my rims or needed new tires, this would be a good try!

Could you just back down the street?
Do you mean back out of the driveway? Or back into the garage?

Either way, unfortunately it wouldn't work. Even the OEM factory mud flaps on my GLK SUV scraped going both directions, so I had to take them off. I think the back on our cars is still too low, plus the front bumper would scrape as it gets pointed down.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Back down the road so that you can enter the driveway headed uphill (can't turn around at the end of the road). The angles are much less aggressive from that approach.
I would try this if you haven't already.
If you mess with lifting system remember that just doing the front is going to give the most clearance as you want the car at an angle due to the front overhang.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
An update on this. I contacted iLift and in short, they've never done a Murcie and said:

I’ve looked at the Murci shocks, and they look similar to other Lamborghinis we have done installations on. We should be able to do both front and rear if there is clearance. We do not have a plug and play kit however, so we would not be able to offer a kit with out the car being here.
"Here" means in AZ. My Murcie is at my place in MI and I live primarily in CA. Since they can't guarantee they can even install an iLift on a Murcie, it would be way to risky to ship it to AZ for that in advance. Worse yet, let's say they put it on and then I ship it to CA and discover the clearance added is still insufficient for my driveway. Then what do I do??

If I had a Murcie here, seeing how the stock OEM lift would work on my driveway would a must, before the iLift experiment. Bec if I knew the stock could perhaps work at a precise angle, then getting the iLift and shipping to CA would be much less risky. I don't want to get it here and then figure out how to get it back to MI. Shipping cars is a nightmare and rarely goes well with our wide cars.

If anyone in LA/OC wants to come to the beach and try out my driveway with their stock Murcie, I would be extremely grateful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
correct

I take it you've never dealt with the costal commission.
I live in the midwest. I have a 120 foot drive way that eventually leads out to the main neighborhood road. One day, the last 10 feet of my driveway was torn up by the city, to run utilities and sewage. They also repaved and re-curbed my neighborhood. When the project was done, I noticed that the city workers had re-paved my drive way at a very steep slope. Later in the week, delivery trucks were bottoming out, scratching the pavement.

I called the city hall and got a guy out to see my issue. I explained how the slope and curve to the road needs to be. Without any objections, he and their crew re-paved the road to perfection.

Those guys that work off of tax payers monies like helping people. That's their job.

That said, the Coastal Commission sounds like a tough nut to crack. However, it doesn't hurt to ask them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I take it you've never dealt with the coastal commission.
White out is correct! And it would not cost $5k. It would be a multiple more than that here in CA. Plus this is an iceberg house with 2 floors below the ground, 3 above. There's serious waterproofing and engineering going on under that regular looking driveway. You see the building code has setbacks, but those do not apply to subterranean structures. Under the driveway, the living space extends way out under the driveway, ending about a foot before the property line. There's at least 23' of stuff below this car and even if I could, messing with that concrete would be risky for the sake of the building underground.

And you are right AngelOfMurci that in the Midwest, people are way more helpful, especially govt employees. Similar to your scenario, I called up the "mayor" of the township of my MI house. I say mayor in quotes bec the population is minuscule. Anyway, I sent pics of potholes in this road leading to my neighborhood and he said the county would fix them within a couple days. I thought "a couple days" might mean a month or perhaps never. Sure enough, two days later I'm driving home from the gym in the morning (not in Lambo) and a crew is there patching the potholes. Unbelievable. Would never happen in Cali.

Back here at the beach yesterday, I was driving home from grocery store and passed my neighbor who is south a couple blocks and has a Aventador. A 2018 from what I recall. He had just pulled into his garage, hadn't shut the door yet. So I drive in back and shout out the window, asking if he would be down for testing it on my driveway now. I had met him once before and had mentioned this idea in passing. He was cool with that and I'm very thankful for him doing so - I certainly would not want mine being a guinea pig.

Attached are photos from yesterday. Pulling forward in didn't work, as the bumper would scrape. We tried backwards and while it wasn't scraping on the back or front, we had an airborne problem on the front. It didn't bother him and he wanted to go full speed back even after the wheel was like that, but I was worried it might bottom out and I would feel awful if he messed up his car while so graciously helping me out. So I deterred him from proceeding.

BTW that pic of the front bumper corner, you can't tell in it but the lip is like a 1/2" from pavement.

Now this as you see is in the middle of the driveway, or more to the right side. This side obviously won't work. We couldn't try the left side, where the trash cans are, bec in back of that I have window which ways about 400 lbs (removed from house a few days ago) so that is blocking that side of garage. Once that's moved he could try on that side but he thought that side would be worse. I don't know, I usually have better luck on the left side but then again, I'm talking about in my GLK and not my Murcie.

Thoughts? Advice? I reiterate that modifying concrete is not option here and I don't want to hassle with temporary things I have to drag back and forth every time I take the car out. Would ruin the fun and spontaneity. I just want to drive in and out carefree w/o any crazy perfect angles or techniques required.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts