Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little bit of advice on choosing a college major. I am also a strong believer that in order to be successful, you have to choose a career that your passionate about and not choose a job based off of its pay. I just graduated high school and will be attending a smaller liberal arts college in the fall. I constantly question what I want to do with the rest of my life and I need help!

My entire life ever since I was little, I always wanted to be some type of doctor. I have always been fascinated by the human body and would love to help people. These past few years of high school I have been leaning towards business, possibly majoring in Finance. I realize how hard and time consuming it would be to become a doctor. I would prefer to start making money as soon as possible. I began to think that all the time spent in school would never pay off in the long run and I'd never get that lambo haha..

I decided to lean towards business/finance because I would love to invest in myself and grow. I could go into real estate and make some good money early on from wholesale, then I would buy and hold, flip and sell houses. It reminded me of my sales through craigslist and ebay where I would buy things cheap and sell higher. I always sold stuff growing up, and it gives me the greatest feeling when I make a profit off of a sale. I'd imagine real estate would give me that same feeling. I figured I would invest in real estate until I could start a business. But what if none of that worked? Am I just a dreamer? What could I do with a finance degree?

I am kind of torn between the two routes and my senior year of high school only made it more confusing. The past two years I have been a bit obsessed with bodybuilding, I have read a lot of stuff about it and I feel like health and fitness is my passion. I have learned so much about the body and I started counting every single calorie and macronutrient that enters my body! There are many fitness entrepreneurs I look up to, and I would love to eventually start a business in the industry. I decided to take a senior high school medical anatomy and physiology class to learn more about the body. I realized that learning so much about bodybuilding really paid off. I already knew so much of the stuff and the class was a breeze for me while everyone else was struggling. I began to rethink the medical route and become a doctor.

I need help! Because I feel either route I take I will be happy. I need to know what you guys think and what way will help me reach financial freedom(long term goal of mine). I'm just a bit confused because both are so different. What would you guys do?

Thanks! And sorry for making it so long!

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK. So the choices are finance, medicine, real estate or fitness.

A finance degree will open up an infinite number of businesses to you. All business exist to make money. PERIOD. Understanding the principles of accounting and the metrics that are used to measure a business will be of use to you regardless if you stay in that field. What's the biggest problem (IMO) that doctors, real estate agents and gym owners have? They don't know how to run a business and manage their money.

All of the careers you are considering require dedication and focus. I'm not sure you have those qualities yet. Start slow. Community college or a program where you don't have to commit to a major. Take some general classes in all the areas that interest you. At this stage in your life, there are no wrong answers. Any experience, positive or negative will be beneficial.

When you choose a path, remember that success will not come easy. You have to pull it out of the ground. Doesn't matter if its your own business or someone else's. The only bad choice you can make is to give up on a path you have chosen because it is hard or you aren't seeing instant financial rewards. Persevere.

Cincy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cincy2, thanks for the response.

I was thinking of using a finance degree with a focus on real estate. I would also start a business in the fitness industry such as a supplement company or clothing line.. Not sure yet. I'm just not sure if a finance degree would be my best bet and I want to hear what people think.

I understand it will be a lot of hard work and a lot of business skills are self taught. I am not asking for the simple 'get rich quick' solution, just some advice from people who have been through college :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you have the smarts and drive, the Doctor will be the best choice....by far.

Forget about bodybuilding....very few in the industry make real money.

I can tell you if you want to limit your higher education to a 4 year degree, look into Engineering.....fantastic job prospects over the next 30 years, OK money ($150k after 12-15 years).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I disagree about being a doctor. My father was one and said if he had to do it all over again - he wouldn't. Insurance companies and lawyers have screwed it up, and Obamacare may be the final nail in the coffin.

Sure - neurosurgeons and certain specialties are highly compensated. They ALL work their butts off and have killer hours and of course many difficult years paying dues before achieving success. Medicine is the last thing I'd choose unless it was my "calling".

To the OP - it doesn't sound like you have a clear "calling".

I agree re a business or finance degree. No matter what you end up doing it will serve you well (as stated by cincy2). Be patient and take a variety of classes and see if you get bitten by a particular "bug".

For my first two years at college: you name it - I took it. Every discipline under the sun. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, History, Hospitality management, PhysEd, Music, Fine Arts... - I really sampled as much as possible. I decided to take a semester off and work. That turned into 3 years of working and going back to school for business (management with focus in marketing). I loved business and wanted to be in a Fortune 500 company.

I got my "dream job" first shot out of college, and held it for 27 years. My aspirations changed along the way. I went from wanting to be CEO (or in the C suite) to NOT wanting anything nearly that high once I learned what it took to get there.

I ended up running some very large businesses for the company (around $200 million in sales) and late in life discovered I love training, coaching, mentoring. When I was downsized out of my job (my department was eliminated due to the economy) I reinvented myself, and now I have various jobs I love. They all have two things in common. They involve cars and driving. And they involve training/coaching. I'm lucky. The first 27 years allowed me to be in a position to do these fun part time jobs.

I will vouch that it was incredibly hard work and plenty of sacrifice. And our first priorities were owning a house, not having debt and becoming as financially secure as possible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For something so screwed up, Doctors sure have alot of great cars, insane houses, etc.

Business is a tough one. For every VP, there are hundreds, thousands of people managing a Starbucks or Taco Bell. Seems like luck and connections have as much to do with it as talent.

Thats what I like about Engineering as a safe career. Even the lowest rung jobs put you FAR above most business grads, and you still have the opportunity to rise into the VP, CEO level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I completely agree c2. I feel like doctors are going to get screwed in the future with Obamacare and everything. All the hospitals are charging a ridiculous amount of money for everything bc they know insurance and these healthcare plans can pick everything up. They have to raise the prices bc so many of the patients have no money and the insurance companies are getting screwed too bc they're taking advantage of it. I understand everyone needs help when it comes to health care, but the people who work the hardest are getting screwed the most.

Shark01, you are right about the engineer thing. They make a pretty decent salary upfront but in business you can advance way farther.. 90% of the guys I graduated with want to be engineers, but if you asked them what an engineer does on a daily basis at work, none of them would know. Too many people go into it hoping for a secure lifestyle, but it's stressful and you can get called into work at anytime while making the same exact salary.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,868 Posts
The only thing that really matters is that you follow your passion.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Become an Orthodontist. You like medicine and making people happy. It is extremely difficult to get accepted into Ortho school, even after it is ridiculously difficult to get into Dental school, but if you can hack it your fortune awaits. I have two brothers that are Orthodontists and $700-$1M is where you can easily end up on the pay scale. If money is your motivation and you want to be a Doctor (DDS), then you may want to consider it as an option.
Please...only if you have SMALL hands....LOL...always the first thing I do when checking out dental professionals.....look at the hands.

·
Registered
889 Posts
90% of the guys I graduated with want to be engineers, but if you asked them what an engineer does on a daily basis at work, none of them would know. Too many people go into it hoping for a secure lifestyle, but it's stressful and you can get called into work at anytime while making the same exact salary.
Not sure where you are getting some of this information. Engineering is one of the most stress-free decent paying jobs around.

If I get called into work, I get paid for it.....how do you think I bought a Lamborghini? I put in 200 hours or so of paid OT a year....over 9 years thats $125k of money I played with.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please...only if you have SMALL hands....LOL...always the first thing I do when checking out dental professionals.....look at the hands.
What!? Lol that's funny. You should be paying attention to their teeth! You need to make sure yours will end up like theirs!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure where you are getting some of this information. Engineering is one of the most stress-free decent paying jobs around.

If I get called into work, I get paid for it.....how do you think I bought a Lamborghini? I put in 200 hours or so of paid OT a year....over 9 years thats $125k of money I played with.
My dad is an engineer. I'm kind of turned off of that idea.. Lol. However, he isn't a good saver like you and will probably never have a Lamborghini!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What!? Lol that's funny. You should be paying attention to their teeth! You need to make sure yours will end up like theirs!
The hands only have to be able to count all of the money you can make and grasp the steering wheel of your Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley.....:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you take up fitness, work super hard, play it smart and one day.... maybe one day... you can live the dream like this class A citizen. I expect your lambo must be green with purple rims and orange interior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you take up fitness, work super hard, play it smart and one day.... maybe one day... you can live the dream like this class A citizen. I expect your lambo must be green with purple rims and orange interior. SERIES ONE Ep # 2: SUPERMUTANT Rich Piana's Cars Tatts and Pitts - YouTube
LMAO! That's not exactly what I ment by bodybuilding, but Rich Piana is a baller. I look up to guys like Steve Cook, Christian Guzman, Jeff Seid, and Sadik Hadzovic. There's definitely money out there in fitness! The owners of GymShark are in their mid 20's and have R8's and Aventadors. Arvin Lal the CEO of Shredz created a supplement company with free marketing through instagram in 2012! Now it's a multi million dollar company!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Okay, so I didn't read through everyone's responses, I just skimmed. I graduated from college 2 months ago, so I can give you that perspective and my two cents.

It doesn't matter what the hell your major is at the start of your college career. I went in as an entrepreneurship major and was beyond excited to follow my dream. During my sophomore year, guess what happened? I became a public relations major.

My advice is to take a variety of courses your first 2-3 semesters to see what really gets you going. Usually you have to declare a major before your junior year, so take your time to figure out what you enjoy best.

Like I said, my dream was to be an entrepreneurship major. Next thing I knew, I was a public relations major. The best part is that I'm now in sales at booming marketing software company.

Unless you're gung-ho on being a doctor, see what electives you can take to get a sense of what truly interests you.

I'm sure some of the folks with years of experience in the "real world" will have a different opinion than what I just said, however, I'm speaking from a recent college graduate perspective.

·
Registered
844 Posts
LMAO! That's not exactly what I ment by bodybuilding, but Rich Piana is a baller. I look up to guys like Steve Cook, Christian Guzman, Jeff Seid, and Sadik Hadzovic. There's definitely money out there in fitness! The owners of GymShark are in their mid 20's and have R8's and Aventadors. Arvin Lal the CEO of Shredz created a supplement company with free marketing through instagram in 2012! Now it's a multi million dollar company!
I agree, there is money to be made it fitness but it would be tough to get a lambo out of it very quickly. I myself like to make "all kinds of gaaaains" in the gym myself ( you know where that quote is from?). But its just a hobby for me. Injuried myself and I am just a couple months in from a year long rehab. 6'0 weighing 165 atm. Want to be a steady 170 solid muscle by end of next 2 months. ANYWAY lol, yeah fitness can equal money but getting a business together or something like that has quite a better chance.
Becoming a doctor is a looooong road and obamacare and such is scary for everyone but the money gains would be amazing. I am freinds with the son of a orthopedic surgeon and the dad owns a 800k house with many acres around and is debating on an aventador and I promise he won't even blink if he bought one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, there is money to be made it fitness but it would be tough to get a lambo out of it very quickly. I myself like to make "all kinds of gaaaains" in the gym myself ( you know where that quote is from?). But its just a hobby for me. Injuried myself and I am just a couple months in from a year long rehab. 6'0 weighing 165 atm. Want to be a steady 170 solid muscle by end of next 2 months. ANYWAY lol, yeah fitness can equal money but getting a business together or something like that has quite a better chance.
Becoming a doctor is a looooong road and obamacare and such is scary for everyone but the money gains would be amazing. I am freinds with the son of a orthopedic surgeon and the dad owns a 800k house with many acres around and is debating on an aventador and I promise he won't even blink if he bought one.
Ofcourse! The Hodgetwins lol ;)
The more I think about it, the more I would want to go into the fitness/business industry. The good part about fitness is that your target market is everyone. No matter what age or gender, everyone is looking to improve their bodies. Social media is the best way to get yourself out there! And youtube ofcourse..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ofcourse! The Hodgetwins lol ;)
The more I think about it, the more I would want to go into the fitness/business industry. The good part about fitness is that your target market is everyone. No matter what age or gender, everyone is looking to improve their bodies. Social media is the best way to get yourself out there! And youtube ofcourse..
This man.... This man has my respect lol. It would be a fun field to go into. Like I said, I'd be alittle worried about the cash flow. I see people who are personal trainers and drive around in just mediocre cars and live a modest life so I expect thats the average. But Like Russk said work with your passion so go for it if thats what you want! We'll support ya lol! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts