Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market to buy a new Aventador in the US. The main factor that could sway me either way is resale value. I have never owned any Lamborghini and I do not know anyone who does.

At the moment I am trying to decide between:

- an Aventador Miura edition - I understand this is just a fancy paint scheme on a soon-to-be-discontinued 2011 model, but I just really like the aesthetics of it. I could see an argument for why a limited edition Aventador would hold value better (only 50 ever made). But I am concerned that's mostly BS since ultimately this is just a fancily painted 2011 car that is asking a close to 100k premium. Will anyone be willing to pay anything extra in 2-4 years to own this vs a regular Aventador?

- the new model S that is about to be announced on Monday December 19th. Slightly updated exterior and a more modern interior. The earliest deliveries would probably start in the summer of 2017. So while this will not be a rare or uncommon car, at least for the first 1-2 years the depreciation curve I would think would be forgiving since people may be willing to pay up to get a car immediately as opposed to wait to order one. Also with the new model out in dealers' floors, I would think the older Aventadors (including the Miura edition) could take a hit.

(As a side note the Aventador SV looks marginally too extreme and almost tacky to me, also quite a bit more expensive. I won't be driving it much/at all on a track, so improved performance from the already astronomical levels is not a concern.)

For those of you who have been following the brand for many years and have seen their models come and go, and the market respond to that, what do you think? What would you buy?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tough question. Depends on where you're located and of course, personal tastes. Different cultures, and even within different locations in US, seem to have vastly different tastes and place different values in things such as color, upgrades, and exclusivity.

For me, the Miura edition is nothing special. Just a different paint job with a different badge on the side, as you said. Personally, I think the paint job on most of the Miura edition looks a bit less beautiful than a solid color vehicle but that's just my taste.

Maybe look at the resale value of the special Diablos such as the SV SE35 (9 made in total) and compare against the more common Diablos?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instinct is that the Miura resale value will be problematic. But I look at all the Aventadors out there, which are almost all monochromatic with no other accents, and I find them to be a bit dull (still vastly more unique than any Ferrari except perhaps La Ferrari).

But I would feel so dumb paying $500k for a Miura edition, only to have it be worth $350k the second I drive it off the lot...

My guess based on nothing but instinct is that at least for the first 6-12 months the new model S will hold its value a little better simply because people may pay up to get an existing car as opposed to wait 6 months for a new order to be fulfilled. Beyond that it probably depreciates like everything else.

P.S. I did not manage to find any of the Diablo SE35s after a few minutes of googling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Apologies. That was a typo. While there is a Diablo SV SE35, I meant to say Diablo SE30.

Diablo SE 30.
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/lamborghini/diablo/1994/408630

I would say you instinct is probably right on the Muira. A way overpriced paint job. Never really liked has Lamborghini has done that over the years coming out with 'new' models that are the same one with a new paint job essentially, but I understand it from a business standpoint.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Aventador SV looks awesome in the right colour, such as black or red. Likely to hold its value well, because of the lighterweight profile. But may be near peak value today.

Aventador Miura looks like an expensive paintjob. Less likely to hold value.

Aventador S looks like "half an SV", so it may hold its value about half as well as the SV.

All gutfeel, of course. But may help.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The SV will probably depreciate the least but you are not a fan. If you are worried about depreciation, I would suggest getting a '13 or '14 that has already had some depreciation. The Muira Edition is horrendous and would probably be a difficult resell. The new S will have some upgrades but probably nothing worth waiting for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't like the rear spoiler on the SV - I think it makes it look like a rice rocket, a tacky race car (even though I am sure the physics justify it). I personally love the look of the miura edition but I am worried I am one of a handful of people in the world willing to pay up for a color scheme like that.

I think the single best looking Lambo is the Centennario but that's a different zip code.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd go with an SV all day long. The Aventador Miura Edition looks hideous IMO. Not loving the side view of the Aventador S. Seems they cut corners on things like the side intakes, etc. Removed the black carbon shrouds, etc.

I'm wondering if there will be an Aventador S SV :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many of you actually race your Aventadors? I can understand the preference for the SV since it is more track focused.

For me, at this moment I do not intend to take mine to the track, so I am more focused on looks and to a lesser extent comfort (i.e. not having to sit in super hard bucket seats). Performance is certainly good enough for me on any Aventador.

·
Registered
342 Posts
How many of you actually race your Aventadors? I can understand the preference for the SV since it is more track focused.

For me, at this moment I do not intend to take mine to the track, so I am more focused on looks and to a lesser extent comfort (i.e. not having to sit in super hard bucket seats). Performance is certainly good enough for me on any Aventador.
SV just looks soooo much better than regular. You can option more comfortable seats on the SV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SV just looks soooo much better than regular. You can option more comfortable seats on the SV.
It's funny I feel the opposite. To me the rear wing is the big turn off. I don't like that kind of wing on any car.

That being said I'll take the look of any Lambo over any Ferrari or Porsche any day of the week. I just find that the regular Aventador merges classy with edgy and sporty-ness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Which one do you prefer ? Enjoy and don't think about money ! To help your choice, this is an example of the ridiculous (and foolishly expensive) paint scheme of the Miura Homage. Hopefully, they built only 50 of these "tatty even before to be new" cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which one do you prefer ? Enjoy and don't think about money ! To help your choice, this is an example of the ridiculous (and foolishly expensive) paint scheme of the Miura Homage. Hopefully, they built only 50 of these "tatty even before to be new" cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn2iBNbmN3o
It's funny but I really like the Miura edition. But I understand that I am the only one. I am going to go with a model S, dark red exterior, white and black interior. It's marginally unusual, but still sufficiently main stream. Should be here by summer time which is perfect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's funny but I really like the Miura edition. But I understand that I am the only one. I am going to go with a model S, dark red exterior, white and black interior. It's marginally unusual, but still sufficiently main stream. Should be here by summer time which is perfect.
No, you don't walk alone ! Mine (red and gold) has arrived at the dealer's two days ago. Will go to see it next wednesday and take some pictures.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I track my Aventador. Just got back from Corsa Vita event at COTA in Austin. There was also an SV on the track. I like everything about SV except the wing on the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I prefered the unclutered design of the "Periscope" Countach, to the follo"wings" , I do favour the regular Aventador... which is, very likely, perfectly useable on track. I don't think that, with my (our ?) skill at wheel, 50 hp, a rear wing and stiffer springs would make any difference on the lap time !

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's funny I feel the opposite. To me the rear wing is the big turn off. I don't like that kind of wing on any car.

That being said I'll take the look of any Lambo over any Ferrari or Porsche any day of the week. I just find that the regular Aventador merges classy with edgy and sporty-ness.

Buy whatever you like - but it's hard to ask let alone answer a question when it begins with personal tastes of likes and dislikes.

Good Luck on your purchase - the S seems very cool but being unlimited it's going to depreciate faster than a limited model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some german guys think it appreciates ! (the pricing in E.C. is about 420 000 euros, 20 % taxes included) Lamborghini Aventador MIURA 1 OF 50 LIMITED* als Sportwagen/Coupé in Hechingen Money apart, I went to see mine, and, definitely, she has the wow factor. The Rosso Arancia Miura is between red and orange (I would say close to the Rosso Dino) I don't post pictures, those taken at Goodwood being far better than mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts