Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for an Aventador Roadster S since the last 6 months, I missed already several opportunities, I just found a good one abroad. Import process cost and VAT reimbursement are Ok.

I tried all week to find an expert there that could look at it but no chance so far.

I was thinking of signing following contract with seller:
  • I pay him 10k and he does not sell it to anyone for the 2 coming months
  • Contract agrees on the sell price, assuming expertise does not bring new information
  • If in 2 months deal is not signed, I can get back my money and he is free to sell

Comment? Any better idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the only caveat is the last point, what is in it for the dealer if you walk on the deal? While he has a deposit, it's a rather long term one and he still hasn't gotten paid for the vehicle. I think a fairer deal if you are serious is if you don't take the car at the 2 months period, he keeps your deposit. That will show skin in the game that you aren't simply asking him to hold for an inordinately long period of time and you're willing to pay for his risk. If the car obviously doesn't arrive or the dealer can't fulfill their end of the bargain in 2 months, they should refund.

·
Registered
380 Posts
2 months is a long period of time especially on a vehicle of that amount. If you can get him to agree to that, more power to you but i would look to find someone to expedite the PPI to secure the sale sooner. im not sure where this vehicle is at but legally, it would be hard for you to secure it on those terms without it becoming a civil law mess

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,815 Posts
Great way to risk $10,000 and never see it again if you are dealing across borders. A nefarious seller would take your 10 grand and sell the car to somebody else knowing that it would be very hard and very costly to sue someone in a different country. And probably worth the risk as he might be able to sell the car for 10 grand more to the next guy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
Great way to risk $10,000 and never see it again if you are dealing across borders. A nefarious seller would take your 10 grand and sell the car to somebody else knowing that it would be very hard and very costly to sue someone in a different country. And probably worth the risk as he might be able to sell the car for 10 grand more to the next guy.
Clyde expresses my feelings exactly. It is a risk anyway you look at it, and the only question is are you willing to take that risk? I don't like being in a position of no control over a situation and that seems to be the case here.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
I just feel more comfortable buying new, always. OP, the Aventador replacement is to be released in the near future and would you consider trying to secure an allocation for the newest 12-Cylinder Lamborgini. I understand it will not be a pure NA engine but there are compensatory trade offs, ~1000hp and DCT. On top of that no market ADM to contend with.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
@DiabloClyde said it best and like @Russk I try and not put myself in position’s where I have zero control. If you go through with it, please read that contract very very well or have an attorney look it over. If you miss any clause and you somehow violate those clauses, you could be out of your deposit. That will suck! Will they charge for storage, maintenance if needed, etc. I see too many possible holes in this deal…. I would pass!

Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
730 Posts
You are purchasing the right but not the obligation to buy a vehicle at a pre-agreed price anytime within the next two months. You should not get that money back if you decide not to exercise the option, there is time value there.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Hello,

I am looking for an Aventador Roadster S since the last 6 months, I missed already several opportunities, I just found a good one abroad. Import process cost and VAT reimbursement are Ok.

I tried all week to find an expert there that could look at it but no chance so far.

I was thinking of signing following contract with seller:
  • I pay him 10k and he does not sell it to anyone for the 2 coming months
  • Contract agrees on the sell price, assuming expertise does not bring new information
  • If in 2 months deal is not signed, I can get back my money and he is free to sell

Comment? Any better idea?

Thanks!
Tell the dealer you will fly out over the weekend. It will cost you $1500 to fly. Ask him to hold the vehicle for you. They can put a $5k lock on your credit card. Tell him if you like the vehicle, you will put up 25% down payment via cashiers check during your visit. Then upon return to the US you will submit the remaining funds.

most reputable dealers will do that all day long

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tell the dealer you will fly out over the weekend. It will cost you $1500 to fly. Ask him to hold the vehicle for you. They can put a $5k lock on your credit card. Tell him if you like the vehicle, you will put up 25% down payment via cashiers check during your visit. Then upon return to the US you will submit the remaining funds.

most reputable dealers will do that all day long
Thanks. Well it’s more like $4500 (I fly private), interesting credit card idea. I forgot to mention I’m not in the US, flying from Switzerland to Germany. No check here.

2 months is a long period of time especially on a vehicle of that amount. If you can get him to agree to that, more power to you but i would look to find someone to expedite the PPI to secure the sale sooner. im not sure where this vehicle is at but legally, it would be hard for you to secure it on those terms without it becoming a civil law mess
Yes, 2 months is unrealistic probably.

I would have a contract with them.

I just feel more comfortable buying new, always. OP, the Aventador replacement is to be released in the near future and would you consider trying to secure an allocation for the newest 12-Cylinder Lamborgini. I understand it will not be a pure NA engine but there are compensatory trade offs, ~1000hp and DCT. On top of that no market ADM to contend with.
No, it’s too expensive and I like specifically the S Rdster, Sian does nothing to me, and I want a genuine big NA, not a green-washed version of it…

You are purchasing the right but not the obligation to buy a vehicle at a pre-agreed price anytime within the next two months. You should not get that money back if you decide not to exercise the option, there is time value there.
Yes, it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Why is he keeping the car for two months? You don't say where the car is located (country). Find a way to get someone to inspect the car first. If checks out, hire a local reputable attorney to do the paperwork and have the car shipped. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If you’re anywhere in Europe and the car of interest is in Europe, it takes less than 3 hours to fly.
If you don’t want to fly 3 hours to inspect and test drive a vehicle… you don’t want the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
OP, @AngelOfMurci makes a good point so take advantage of the reasonable travel distances, and by all means, lay eyes on your possible future acquisition.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
OP, @AngelOfMurci makes a good point so take advantage of the reasonable travel distances, and by all means, lay eyes on your possible future acquisition.
I’ve seen many online Lamborghini photos that look immaculate, but upon physical inspection, made me run the other way. Typically the engine bay is neglected, oil everywhere, dried out hoses, etc,.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
^^Agree. It doesn't take much effort to provide deceptive or misleading photographic documentation. Heck, with all the software available to alter photographs you both need to see it in person, and have a thorough PPI. Understanding, of course, that PPIs are good but not foolproof.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
^^Agree. It doesn't take much effort to provide deceptive or misleading photographic documentation. Heck, with all the software available to alter photographs you both need to see it in person, and have a thorough PPI. Understanding, of course, that PPIs are good but not foolproof.
Unless it is a reputable dealer that you are familiar with, photos are nearly worthless. I have seen too many people deceived by photos alone when making a large purchase. I think if you should prepare yourself to expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all advices!
I am in Switzerland, car in Germany. I intend to fly on Saturday.
I got the chassis Id yesterday and made basic checks, expert will visit them tomorrow.
I give up with the 2 months locking idea…:)
By the way I met 2 dealers recently who told me they often put wong pics for their used car, they told me “it does not matter as long as it’s the same color….”

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
By the way I met 2 dealers recently who told me they often put wong pics for their used car, they told me “it does not matter as long as it’s the same color….”
Oh, my lord, so much for truth in advertising! Not that I imagined such truth can be found but, heck, they can at least post the correct pictures. That is pure laziness with a touch of arrogance thrown in for good measure.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts