Lamborghini Talk banner
161 - 180 of 249 Posts
Discussion starter · #161 ·
Car is going back together

Finally started to put the car back together— Here is new bulkhead insulation. Ended up using a self stick underhood hood insulation product. Since this is on the backside of each panel, you will not see it.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #162 ·
Ecoboost engine installed on mounts

Was able to keep two of the four OEM mounts. Ecoboost engine is now decked to the subframe and subframe is decked to the car.

Attachments

Pretty cool. Is everything going to fit? I have my 6 liter ls motor out of my hummer. It would easily fit in the Jalpa. That would be a beast.

Discussion starter · #165 ·
Took some time off from the project, but back at it again. Completed half of the shifter rod to shifter cable conversion. Its going to be tight getting the extra gate for the six speed transmission to fit in the console without modification

Shifter looks cool. Make sure that pillowblock can handle the kind of torque you are going to put through it. Many are not vey strong just plain cast iron. They are not designed for the lateral loads those joints will put on it. There are a lot of forces at that point. I would probably get a Heavy duty bearing or two and have it machined out of steel. You can always try those out but if they break...…….. See what the MFGR rating is. That motor puts out a lot of torque. Many of those blocks are designed for 30 to 50 HP. Lee

My bad. I looked at the picture again. That is for the shifter not the output shaft of the motor. Ignore my last post. I am an idiot.

Discussion starter · #171 ·
Random part cross reference— Replaced the fuel filler pipe to RH fuel tank elbow with this Gates 24711 hose. Perfect fit.

Attachments

Which way are you routing air? Why not do and air to water and a front mount cooler. Lots of heat in that engine bay already.

Discussion starter · #173 ·
I thought alot about the decision to go air-water versus air-air intercooler. Routing more hoses to the front of the car, adding extra water tank, and having the potential water cooler leak into the intake was what ultimately drove me to the air-air route. Yes I realize I am probably leaving some horsepower on the table. In this setup I will be using the fan to suck air in through the sail panel / original airbox ducting, and the fan should be pushing most of the air out through the engine cover vent (when at idle). I will be using the right side sail panel area where the Lambo OEM oil cooler was for the fresh air inlet.

Discussion starter · #174 ·
Some misc fabrications over the last couple of weeks- Clean air duct mount to cam cover, fuel tank access plates (some prior owner had smashed the parts with a lift), Charge air cooler side, front and bottom shrouds.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #175 ·
Starting on the halfshafts now. Ordered some Focus ST halfshafts for the inboard joints. Doing some crossreferencing on the outboard OEM Lamborghini joints. Using calipers and the GKN catalog, it appears our Jalpa joints are 25 spline, 100mm OD, 86mm bolt circle, 8mm bolt holes, and 32 mm wide. Per the GKN racing catalog that crossreferences into a currently made GKN part number of MSK038 for a racing lightened joint, and GKN 301142 (Porsche 911 joint). See pics.

Discussion starter · #177 ·
I have been trying to find a source for the higher spline count MS3K032 (28 spline) or MS3K037 or MS3K036 but no luck so far. I figure I can drill two of the 8 mm holes to accept the OEM type ten mm pins or order any of the 10mm bolt hole varieties (to allow use of two 10mm dowels, and then use 4 1mm thick inserts for the bolts to get as much strength into the joint as possible. The Porsche people seem to sometimes break the cages and some upgrade to 108mm joints, but those do not fit in the Jalpa’s stock carriers/uprights. Machining the stiffening ribs on the Jalpa’s suspension hub carrier seems dicey, so I will stick with finding an appropriate GKN rep, and hopefully acquiring some of those unobtainium parts. Worse case, maybe I will be a minimum batch quantity and sell the rest on e-bay. Here are the inboard/transmission side pieces installed

Be careful drilling the shafts. It really weakens them. Maybe figure out a way to beef up around the spindle or have some stronger ones machined. I think they fail where they mount to the axle. (crappy lambo aluminum as well probably) I think Detour racing spun his or fragged them. The torque from yours will be way above stock.

161 - 180 of 249 Posts