Lamborghini Talk banner
41 - 60 of 129 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Next update:

What to do with the fat stereo plug?

The diameter of the plug was 2mm over the standard 7 mm.

Masking.

After dremel magic.

It plugs in nicely now. The bare metal is hardly visible at the back. If it bothers me I'll just cover it up with some black foam.

Can't wait to try the new mic tomorrow!

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Ok ocd has kicked in.

Found a piece of foam that I used for speakers.

Cut a piece & used double tape.

This is how it look from the side.

Now just need to find time to drive:rolleyes:

Discussion starter · #45 · (Edited)
I've discovered that this cam is prone to overheating when recording in 4k with the housing. When it overheats, it just stops recording. It only has passive cooling (no fan just plate). I think this is a problem with the design.

I guess I have to ditch the housing & just paint the camera body in lacquer stealth black (not rubber) or leave it as it is.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Update on overheating camera, I made some investigation and took a thermo image from between the seats. The temperature in the center console (the red color is the center console where the cd player is located, the blue on the left and right are the seats) is about 5.3 C higher or 41.54 F higher than the surrounding temps.

Because my camera is housed in blackout rubber housing with the only hole at the back (for the plugs), the heat from the center console got trapped into the housing. It's like a pizza oven.

The thermo image was taken 30 mins after the car is park in my garage. The engine has been off for about 30 minutes. It means that while driving the car outside, the temp can jump to about 10 C higher or 50 F higher due to running engine and sunlight.

The solution that I can think of is to:
1. stop using the black housing.
2. record in HD instead of 4K (less power means less heat).
3. Turn off wifi and gps.

Based on (1) (2) and (3), I'm just gonna go ahead and order another sony camera (HDR-A50) but this time it's already in black and record in HD only. It has wifi but I can turn it off. I'll just use the X3000 for recording other stuff in 4K.

Hope this works.

I got my CVM VS10 but didn’t even think about buying the adapter for my gopro Type C USB.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
The external mic turned out garbage (it's actually in my trashbin now). It gives out a lot statics. The stock mic is much better. I hope yours turned out better because mine wasn't :cautious:

I’ll post a clip once I get the adapter.

Reactions: Sakura
Discussion starter · #51 ·
I am not an aficionado but the sound did not do the Huracan engine justice even from it's location inside the cabin.
That is spot on. I would need to do noise filtering in software if I wanted just the engine sound - this junk mic just picked up all sort of noises from the stereo plug, AC, my jeans, accel pedal, and maybe voices of dead people. The stock mic was so much better as you can see from first few videos. This is the last time I spent money on chinese junk.

I picked up HDR-AS50 today. I also bought an on/off usb switch (should come in tomorrow) so I can just recharge the internal battery of the cam with the external battery by just flipping the switch.

My HDR-AS50 in stock black without the blackout housing. I used an acetate tape to cover up the Sony label.

On/off usb switch

Gonna try this combo & see how it goes.

That is spot on. I would need to do noise filtering in software if I wanted just the engine sound - this junk mic just picked up all sort of noises from the stereo plug, AC, my jeans, accel pedal, and maybe voices of dead people. The stock mic was so much better as you can see from first few videos. This is the last time I spent money on chinese junk.

I picked up HDR-AS50 today. I also bought an on/off usb switch (should come in tomorrow) so I can just recharge the internal battery of the cam with the external battery by just flipping the switch.

My HDR-AS50 in stock black without the blackout housing. I used an acetate tape to cover up the Sony label.
View attachment 287758
On/off usb switch

Gonna try this combo & see how it goes.
Sophisticated tweaks good luck! I agree about the quality of the Chinese product as of late. Having our supply chains disrupted we have bought some items only available from China that are of dismal quality. Most of these poor quality items have been purchased through Amazon......disappointing.

I should have mine ready to go by Saturday. After your assessment I’m not expecting much.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Sophisticated tweaks good luck! I agree about the quality of the Chinese product as of late. Having our supply chains disrupted we have bought some items only available from China that are of dismal quality. Most of these poor quality items have been purchased through Amazon......disappointing.
Thanks for the good luck wish!

I think all these crap from China should be slapped 500% import tax to encourage US made products. I have this old IBM splitable PC keyboard from 1990s (very rare made in US) that I kept and still working until today. On the other hand, the Chinese keyboard keeps on breaking down losing power at random times.

They have figured out a way to make a product looks good on the outside by using heavy body so that it feels like quality when you hold it on hand. It's all crap on the inside. I managed to get it out from trash and just open it up for fun:

1. Diameter of the 3.5mm TSR plug is not actually 3.5mm. It is less - maybe because they wanted to use less metal. In stereo, loose connection can cause noises.
2. Conductor is important to produce good signals. Shielding is important to prevent outside noises. This mic has neither. It has very thin cable and very thin shielding.
3. The connector to the dual head are not shielded! It's like an open wire. This means the mic can pick up all sort of noises from magnetic fields. And we live in the earth with magnetic fields.

I think whoever made this mic just ignore all physics.

“I think whoever made this mic just ignore all physics”

I’m sure they didn’t plan on running into a guy like Sakura! And I mean that in a most complimentary way. I on the other hand probably could have been fooled like most people.

Reactions: Sakura
Thanks for the good luck wish!

I think all these crap from China should be slapped 500% import tax to encourage US made products. I have this old IBM splitable PC keyboard from 1990s (very rare made in US) that I kept and still working until today. On the other hand, the Chinese keyboard keeps on breaking down losing power at random times.

They have figured out a way to make a product looks good on the outside by using heavy body so that it feels like quality when you hold it on hand. It's all crap on the inside.
Absolutely correct, it's called planed obsolescence. I have noticed this and it has been very disruptive especially when it comes to home appliances. My wife and I are on our 3rd refrigerator in 5 years. The Chinese have bought up most of the other brands so when you think your purchasing another name brand, in fact, it's the same one. This is legalized robbery, disgusting and offensive. FYI, avoid the LG (Kenmore) brand...........GE (Haier), etc.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
“I think whoever made this mic just ignore all physics”

I’m sure they didn’t plan on running into a guy like Sakura! And I mean that in a most complimentary way. I on the other hand probably could have been fooled like most people.
Well, they fooled me too because I bought it. Never again.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Absolutely correct, it's called planed obsolescence. I have noticed this and it has been very disruptive especially when it comes to home appliances. My wife and I are on our 3rd refrigerator in 5 years. The Chinese have bought up most of the other brands so when you think your purchasing another name brand, in fact, it's the same one. This is legalized robbery, disgusting and offensive. FYI, avoid the LG (Kenmore) brand...........GE (Haier), etc.
Yes, I avoid the LG and GE brands too, no matter how cheap they are. I used my first fridge for 11 years before upgrading. There was nothing wrong with the first fridge, I just wanted to upgrade it for better watt consumption. Both are Sharp with plasmacluster ion (japanese made).

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Update on the HDR-AS50:

After taking the above video, I made a quick mod using sound dampener on the internal mic. You can see the grey sponges around the cam & the on/off usb switch. This means I can recharge the cam battery by just flipping a switch and also can use the charging sparingly to prevent overheating during long recording. I think I'm getting close! Just one more test next week.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.